Boise ride this weekend...

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by ryanwilliamcantrell, Oct 17, 2007.

1. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Well that is a pretty nice Christmas present!!! Don't scratch it!!!!
  2. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Very nice and it's Christmas colored too. Now, bring it to Hells Canyon to show it off. :deal

3. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Merry Christmas Boise and area!
  4. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:

Right Back At Ya!!! Merry Christmas!
  5. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    What was your 'exact' route. I have an empty trailer. I can even entice with pictures of past adventures and merriment had with current and previous motorcycles!:lol3

Congrats on a awesome motorcycle.:clap
  6. FoolHardy

FoolHardy Still Inky

Oddometer:
    Nice bike John, what a great gift! Merry Christmas Everybody!
  7. idahojoe

idahojoe shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    Hello inmates. I just wanted to get the word out and see if you guys can keep your eyes peeled. My 2009 KTM 250 XCW dirt bike was stolen from my house in Homedale last Thurs or Friday night. They just wheeled it out of the driveway. (driveway is gravel and the tire track was evident) Anyway here is a description.

2009 KTM 250 XCW (2 stroke)
    # 74 on the side number plates
    Aluminum chain saw rack where the front number plate should be
    Enduro Engineering hand guards
    Rekluse stickers on the front fender
    Factory Connection stickers on the forks
    Rekluse clutch cover
    Rekluse left hand rear brake
    Check Point Offroad and Moto Tally stickers on the rear fender.

If anyone sees or knows anything, I can be reached at 208-340-1101.

Thanks, Joe
  8. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:
    Well That Totally Sucks!!:huh

let's string em' up!!... I suspect it's someone who knows you... or a least knows your place well... fits the MO...

so sorry! will keep my eyes open...

rick
  9. rockhopjohn

rockhopjohn I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer:
    Well that frigging sucks! Anyway, I've included a link for a website that does multistate craigslist searches. If they are trying to sell it and thought they could just carry it over to Moscow or Spokane or something, this may make them easier to catch.

http://www.searchtempest.com/
  10. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:
    Got a new little sumthin for Christmas... kinda excited about it!! let the farkeling begin!!:clap:clap:clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. rockhopjohn

rockhopjohn I LOVE Orogenies

Oddometer:
    Nice! Glad I am not the only one getting awesome Xmas presents! Got the last of my pre-ordered farkles on this morning (stretching that damn center stand spring is a biotch) and took it for a run up a 8th St. to at least get the tires a little dirty, had to turn around once I hit ice. First bike I have with heated grips and they definitely make it nice on a morning like this.
  12. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:

Sweeet!! Christmas Day MC riding!!... :clap:clap decisions, decisions... :hmmmmm do I go skiing or ride the bike?? gotta love livin in Boise!!.. :wings
  13. dave186

dave186 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im only a couple miles from Homedale, I will keep an eye and ear out. Going to go lock up my bikes!
  14. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your new toy ..... I bought the same bike back in Sept and have been thoroughly enjoying it!

My first bit of advice if you intend to ride any off road is to stay away from the Yamaha Skid Plate ...... It mounts directly to the sump.

I am amazed at how agile the bike is weighing in at 500+......
  15. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:

Thanks!
    I'm going to put the Ricochet skid plate on... it's tougher than the Yami plate, but still has some attachment to the sump, but it's not a solid mount, has a rubber/movable bushings between so it gives if hit... I don't really intend to take this bike on roads rated harder than level 3 (IAMC grading)... I've hung on to my KLR for those rides up to Louie Lake, Black Rock Mine and Trinity Peak LO etc... this bike is meant to replace my 1700 Nomad as my long range touring bike and easy going back roads/fire roads when the tar ends and/or the bike I'll take to Alaska/Mexico when that happens...

what do you like best about your S Ten so far?... any dislikes??

I've done a ton of research on this bike before making this decision vs getting the 1200 GSA, and I feel very comfortable with the choice...

cheers! rick
  16. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do I like about the bike.... so far everything ..... dislikes....Hmmmm? .... the only dislike I can think of would be that the rad is located under the left side cover and it vents warm air directly onto your left knee, which can be a bit annoying on a warm day. It sounds like our reasoning for purchase is very close to the same.... the last couple of yrs I have found that I've been riding more DS than trail and I wanted something to ride longer loops and possibly two up. I have a DRZ for the more technical rock hopping adventures and can also fill in as my trail bike.

My S10 came equipped with both the Yamaha boxes and skid plate. The boxes seem fine for basic touring and minor off road. A box system with more cross support might be desired for more technical terrain. The skid plate.... is nothing more than a rock guard. The sump on this bike is pretty thin and it doesn't take much to punch a hole through it. I have chosen AltRider for crash bars and will probably switch over to their skid plate as well.

The stock wind screen is adequate... I am 6'3" and do get some wind buffeting. I've moved the screen up to the high position which helped a lot. My next purchase will probably be a Madstad Engineering Adjustable Bracket, which I believe will provide additional improvement.

The pre-load adjustment knob on the rear shock is plastic and few have reported the knobs stripping out. For some reason Yamaha insists on replacing the whole shock instead of just the knob. Eagle Mike Manufacturing has a machined replacement option.

I chose to replace the stock bars with a set of Pro Taper ATV Mid bars..... I chose the ATV Mids because they retain about the same rise, half the sweep, and are 32" wide. You can go taller than stock, but longer clutch and brake lines might be necessary. I don't anticipate riding the pegs a ton on this bike. The bar replacement I felt was one of the more significant improvements. The reduced sweep really opening up my shoulders reducing hand fatigue and pulled my COG a bit forward making the bike feel as it handled better. If you decide to switch out the bars be careful during install so that the bars do not contact the tank.

Promoto Billet has a nice set of adventure pegs if you want a bit more platform.

There have been a few reports of the headlight wiring overheating and shorting out the harness. There is a theory that the plastic connector on the headlight end of the harness impedes good contact of the connector to the bulb. I chose to remove the plastic connector and crimp the stock connectors tighter.... time will tell.

There have also been a few reports of loose spokes. Most seem to be on the drive side rear. My take is it has something to do with wheel design and the nipples being on the hub vs the rim. Most just recommend frequent checking that one doesn't come loose. Problem being if one does... the nipple will eject out of the hub and the loose spoke will flail around. I chose to be more proactive putting the wheels on a stand and ... taking my time... applying VibraTite to each nipple. VibraTite is a non hardening thread locker that allows fastener adjustment after application ...

As you know this bike has both Traction Control and ABS. The TC system can be deactivated, but not the ABS. You can however put the bike on the center stand, start, and let it idle in 2nd gear. This will fault the ABS basically deactivating it. When you turn off the ignition and then restart the ABS will reset.

I"m 100% positive that you'll love the bike... and Snake River so far has been really good to deal with.

:thumb
  17. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    Great Christmas finds up there ^.

I found a nice pair of SIDI Adventure Rains under my tree. Thanks, Mike! :clap
  18. silverspurs

silverspurs why?

Oddometer:

pictures please!!!!:evil
  19. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    No problem. I am glad they fit you.
  20. WhichWayNow

WhichWayNow Been here awhile

Oddometer: