Compendium Of Skidplate Options

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Dorito, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Well, after 40K (rough) miles on my altrider skidplate, it has served its time. So, did a little research and thought it might be a nice one stop shop for others.
    Last Updated: Jun 2013

Direct Link here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...endzdXNWYUkxNnc&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Code:
    <iframe width='1100' height='900' frameborder='0' src='https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApmyRZJUDC4odDdaR1IyTFZFUFJUendzdXNWYUkxNnc&single=true&gid=0&output=html&widget=true'></iframe>
  2. Jamm

Jamm Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at getting a new bash plate, this will certainly help me visually compare each one to another. Thanks for the work.

FYI -- Motoverland haven't updated their site but plates have increased to $279. :waysad
  3. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Nice list.

You might want to add the thickness, that would rule out the SW-Motech and the BMW ones for any semi-serious off-roading IMO.
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Okay, updated the list to include the BMW plate and also the thicknesses (I couldn't find a few). Also, it's curious how they all seems to be somewhat close in thickness spec, but yet in person some are much more stout feeling!
  5. snowscape

snowscape Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I replaced my BMW plate with a Twalcom. Very happy with the results. No cat coverage, which is fine if you don't have a cat.
  6. Guyonabike

Guyonabike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i am very happy with my MOD plate mounts easily and has provided more than enough protection. :D
  7. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Which Twalcom do you have as it appears that they have two versions? Also do you have pictures of it installed?
  8. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
    Once you volunteer to do work, we'll all pick holes in it...

It's worth noting that some of these (such as the Wunderlich) have additional options to extend coverage. The Wunderlich has a part that attaches to the centre stand legs to cover the cat, for example.
  9. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work.
  10. fiwi

fiwi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, good work. I know it would be alot of work for someone, or multiple people, but it would be great to see a 'one stop shop' on this site, set up just like this. Multiple common products for the 800gs, eg bash plate, tyres, seat, springs, dampers, screens, all things 800gs so that people can compare products quickly. Maybe even an option for user reviews on each product , easier for people to check out individual item comments without having to scan through dozens of threads to find what they are after. I know I would definitely use it. Am I dreaming?.
  11. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Hyde Racing teflon polymar skid plate. It is 4mm thick. It is form fitting, with more ground clearance. Good coverage up the sides, but poor coverage to the rear. It is flexable. Easily cut with a saw, so suspect with sharp rocks.

[​IMG]

Add a 3 mm aluminum plate. Adds side and rear coverage. Puncture resistant. Adds stiffness.
    [​IMG]
  12. trizzo

trizzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great compilation, any idea if the same has been done for crash bars?
  13. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Hey Dorito!

Thanks for posting this and including us!

A few things:

It's MotoOverland not Motor (aka MOD)
    The thickness of ours is 4mm...it's posted on our site
    The price has gone up to $281.99...Canadian $$ though.
    With that we have also now added a new tougher CNC'd alu front bracket and two small vent slots strategically placed on the bottom. Neither are shown in the pic below. The new bracket has a larger surface area to help support the skid plate and make it less likely to break the rubber mounts.
    Ours is also TIG welded inside and out. Also all the bits are CNC'd (including the 360* support countersunk mounts underneath which are also as low profile as possible to preserve ground clearance) and the bracket is also very short for more strength. The devil's in the details!

[​IMG]

It's also compatible with about every engine bar (Adv-Spec, Alt-Rider, BMW, Givi, Hepco+Becker, Holan & Holan Pro, Metal Mule, Wild @ Heart and Wunderlich Basic), except Wunderlich's Adventure engine bars for which we make a special order version.

Thanks very much!!

Dave
  14. JGoody

JGoody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what are you going to get?
  15. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
  16. LillaMan

LillaMan Be specific, Bob.

Oddometer:
    Nice list. Thanks for the effort of compiling and providing.
  17. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Now that's footer material :rofl
    Updated

Thanks, lucky number 17...
  18. BRUTSQD

BRUTSQD 2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer:
    Just picked up the MOD bash plate.. Love love loe it.
    [​IMG]
  19. rideslikeoldman

rideslikeoldman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went out in used the micrometer on my BMW skid plate, it is 3.5mm thick.
  20. TheRoss

TheRoss IBA# 522, MOA, ABC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use the Black Dog skid plate. The thing is a kick ass monster - serious protection for everything under there! Very well built, with secure mounting. It does not simply screw into the wimpy little OEM screw holes. I love it.

That said.... it wraps up on the sides to protect the pipes, and it will cook your feet in the summer. Today's high here is 105, and this thing is toasty. Maybe this will not be such an issue where you live.

Worth the money I say!