Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 AM   #16
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,105
There's on older XR600 for sale locally here for $500. It needs a little work, but could be fixed up nicely for a $1000 budget.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
If you can find a '98-'99 DR350SE for $1200US or less in good shape, you're doing pretty well. Those years came with the dirt suspension.

The DR350 has the 6spd, travel, subframe, curb weight, power, and aftermarket that make for a good DS bike in your price range.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #18
alcontrast OP
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,570
how's the 1997 suspension? I may be looking at a 1997 dr350 later this week.... street legal version
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando
If you can find a '98-'99 DR350SE for $1200US or less in good shape, you're doing pretty well. Those years came with the dirt suspension.

The DR350 has the 6spd, travel, subframe, curb weight, power, and aftermarket that make for a good DS bike in your price range.
One of my favorite bikes. Really a dirt bike that you can ride on the road. There's a 91 or so for a grand on CL here. Beware, older DRs are kick start only!!!!

I have an 08 KLR, it might be okay off road (as in off the gravel roads around here.) But the plastics and the position of the radiator are a problem. I'm getting a fugggly 91 DR 650 (swapping a bike I no longer ride) and I'm thinking that it's gonna be perfect for what I want. A bike that it doesn't matter if I bend it, I don't care. Cheap, disposeable.
685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45LC View Post
Having owned a Xt225 and a TW200 I would not reccomend either of them to an experinced rider.
Might be ok for someone learning to ride but if you're anything like me you'll be shocked at how poorly they handle. Even brand spanking new.
Both of our bikes were bought for my wife to ride, Which is fine BUT I could not stand riding either one.

Suspension. Soft,weak,very short travel and not adjustable or upgradable. Very old technology by any brand standard.
Weight. Very heavy for small bikes. My KX125 4 stroke is about 100lbs less than the TW200 and much faster.
Brakes They just don't work period. Great at locking and skidding but thats it. Who still uses drums anyway?
Even 60's hot rod guys upgrade to disc brakes. No kit I've ever seen to do this conversion.
Then all the little things, notchy non-tactile shifting, poor head angle, short seat height,low handle bars, dim headlights, soft foam seat, melting platstics, paratitc battery drain, no kick start, etc. I guess I just expected more for $3,000 bikes.

For under a grand I'd highly reccomend the Honda XL200R or XR200. Extremely durable bikes and most often still plated for occasional on road use.
Another option I'm a fan of (owned 3 personally) is the DR250 and DR350 dual sports. DR's weigh more but many come standard with electric start which can be nice. The Hondas tend to cost a little less.
Both are bulletproof with lots of aftermarket parts still produced.
Hmmm,my TW does just fine...goes places alot of bikes won't..not fast,but look into how the engine/gearing is set up.Also,60ish mph is not a problem for this engine!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
roverchild
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
My xt600 is a little heavy for strict dirt but it does great on forest gravel roads and handles the pavement well to. the big yamaha thumpers sort of died off in teh US at least back in the 90s, but these bikes are tough, ive got 31,000 on mine with countless scraps dents and bruises and it continues to run without a hiccup
roverchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #22
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
I admit this is not really what this forum is focused on but it seemed like the best option out there.. although the "Thumpers" forum might be better I am not sure if what I am looking for will neccesarily be a thumper although I tend to think it will be..

I'm looking for some cheap options for a trail worth dual sport bike.. Ideally I'd want to spend under $1000 so don't go saying I should find a WR250R.. I would love one of those but obviously out of my price range.. I'm looking for around $1000, can hit 65mph (ideally with a little rpm to spare) and trail worthy for rocky muddy single track.

for example the bikes I have been looking at lately have been mostly late 90's, early 2000's bikes like a Dr350, Super Sherpa, KLR250, and XR250L.

I'm just new to this whole dirt thing and I am not familiar with some of the late 90's early 2000's bikes so I may be looking in the wrong direction or totally missign some great options...

what do you think?

Its worth remembering that if you are able to find a bike under $1000, then you may well have to spend $2000 on repairing it before you are going to be use it reliably.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
mudgepondexpress
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
XR250L is a great bike if you can find one! The DR350 is pretty darn nice also but I think the Honda is much better off road in stock configuration (DR is too lightly sprung). The XR feels more nimble but gives away a bit in horsepower.

I am cloes to selling my XR250L but will miss it terribly. One of the best bikes I have ever had (and I hate Honda's).

Kenny
mudgepondexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #24
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,198
Jeez, after over 2 years and all this expertise, I hope the OP bought a bike already!
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote