Why didn't anyone tell me?!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ThomD, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ThomD

ThomD Is this thing on?

Oddometer:
    I just discovered nRoute - Garmin's free PC software to let your laptop record your live data and provide auto routing. I don't know how useful it will be for me, but it is fun to play with.

I have this urge to alter all the voice prompts to John Cleese.

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-10

-thom
  2. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone on my forum just mentioned it as well.
    I didn't know about it but it's amazing...

Pretty cool... with City navigator it even does voice prompted direction.

A++
  3. Zed1k

Zed1k 7 o'clock... DOH!

Oddometer:
    Will voice prompt still work if it is hooked up to a mute GPS unit such as the 60CX which does not do voice prompt on its own?
  4. KLRUSERIOUS?

KLRUSERIOUS? Farkle-whore

Oddometer:
    NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE FIND!!

Thanks
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do this last Update download do you get the whole program or do you have to have something to upgrade?

Is this Mapsource and will show an an option in the menu bar at top or is it stand alone?

Does it effect my 6.13.7 Mapsource in any way?
  6. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Garmin says:
    It looks like 'load and go', but you must have one or the other already installed.

Stand alone.

No.

From Garmin's web site:

When using a locked MapSource product, the real-time track plotting function will work only with a valid unlock code for the GPS unit being used (not all units will be compatible with this). Each MapSource product is sold separately; however, more than one product can be used and downloaded into a Garmin-compatible unit. Note the MapSource Application will not support real-time tracking any longer. If you have the MapSource product installed on your PC, though, download Garmin's nRoute software from the Garmin website for no charge and use it (on that same computer) for real-time tracking with a compatible unit.
    • Brings Garmin's award-winning auto-routing navigation to your laptop, utilizing the larger screen to display a large map and easy-to-read directions.
    • Performs turn-by-turn route assistance and previewing, including spoken turn reminders and automatic recalculation when off-route.
    • Tracks your location using either north-up orientation or vehicle-direction up.
    • Finds places and easily routes to all points of interest and addresses that your MapSource product provides.
    • Allows you to customize the places that you want to find and route to quickly using 'Find'; for example, 'Nearest Gas' or 'Nearest Italian Food'.
    • Provides driver with information, including upcoming cross-streets, street addresses, speed, bearing, and elevation.
    • Provides multiple trip computers that allow you to track distance, time, and speeds for business or personal use.
    • Allows importing and exporting of user data to and from MapSource files.
    • Works with all MapSource products. Note that BlueChart and MetroGuide 5 or greater will not support some features.
    • Designed for use with the GPS 18 and GPS 10, but will work with almost any Garmin GPS over serial or USB.
    • Available to MapSource owners as a significant improvement and expansion of the real-time tracking capability. Takes advantage of your installed map product's capabilities. For example, you can find an address and it will auto-route on any auto-routing map, like City Navigator.
    • This version of nRoute no longer supports Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows NT
    Go here:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=575
    http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/AboutCart.html
  7. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    All the voice prompts on my TomTom ARE John Cleese. "In 200 yards, bear right... badger left." "You have arrived at your destination. You may get out now, but I'm not going to help you carry your bags. From now on, you're on your own."

--mark
  8. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cause you didn't ask.If you are navigating in car,nroute is great fun with bigger laptop screen.
  9. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Back in the old days you could just plug your GPS serial cable into a laptop with Mapsource and do this :dunno

edit: Actually, I'm not sure about the autorouting, but I know I hooked my III+ to a laptop and had a moving map display in my truck once.
  10. brfinley

brfinley Brooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have always thought that Garmin's line of PC sensor products is one of the greatest bargains around. It used to be the GPS 18 Deluxe where for about $100 you got a USB GPS receiver, City Maps, Mapsource, and nRoute navigation software. In those days, you got two map unlocks per license. When I bought my GPSMAP 60C, I bought GPS 18 Deluxe with it because it was cheaper than just buying City Maps by itself. I could use the map set on the 60C or with nRoute on whatever laptop I want. Unfortunately, it seems that Garmin figured that one out.

Now it is Garmin Mobile PC with a high sensitivity receiver (USB or Bluetooth) and the Garmin Mobile PC software which makes your PC look and act like a gigantic Nuvi. Get a 7" or 10" netbook to run it on and you have a very capable and fairly cheap setup. If you have a license for Mapsource already, you can stuff it and nRoute in there as well. Take your choice. (Plus all the capabilities of a connected PC for research and sharing.)
  11. Zed1k

Zed1k 7 o'clock... DOH!

Oddometer:
    Now it is Garmin Mobile PC with a high sensitivity receiver (USB or Bluetooth) and the Garmin Mobile PC software which makes your PC look and act like a gigantic Nuvi. Get a 7" or 10" netbook to run it on and you have a very capable and fairly cheap setup. If you have a license for Mapsource already, you can stuff it and nRoute in there as well. Take your choice. (Plus all the capabilities of a connected PC for research and sharing.)[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong then, if I have a 60cx I can buy Mobile PC, use the 60cx as the receiver and it will navigate through the laptop AND give voice prompts even though the 60cx is a mute unit?
    (GPS noob here trying to decide 60 vs 276 but want to use for bike and sales calls in the cage)
    Thanks All.

-Zed1k
  12. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really?So,mapsource does what nroute does.:huh
  13. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    From post #6.
    Note the MapSource Application will not support real-time tracking any longer.

Probably an old-enough version still does....
  14. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need to test then.Thx.
  15. brfinley

brfinley Brooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that is true. I would ask Garmin tech support or a knowledgeable dealer before paying. I believe the Mobile PC software handles all the routing, navigation, voice prompts, etc. The only thing the GPS does is supply a stream of location information through a serial or USB connection.

There are three versions of Mobile PC. One is software and maps only ($59), then there are the two that include GPS receivers ($99 with USB, $149 with Bluetooth). One caveat is that if you buy a version with a receiver, then it won't work with your 60. The software is modified to work only with the supplied receiver. Personally, I would buy the USB receiver version. It is only $40 more and it the ease of use would be worth it. Bluetooth is good if it is worth it to you to drop the wires.