GS500 Dual Sport Project

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Bleached, Nov 1, 2011.

1. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I went naked with my Sv, then again when I switched to TLR front forks I just used some galvanized conduit hangers from home depot for like 45cents a peice, and some peices of gasket material to take up the slack/prevent scratching of the forks.

I did use four of them for stoutness, and scored some SVn sideplates, but if you have the round headlight it's probably already got sideplates.
  2. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ended up making my own sideplates later, but here is what I managed to do with $2 u-shaped conduit straps .

[​IMG][/IMG]

They held up wonderfully when I wadded it at 45mph through the woods.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  3. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    The newer style 02+ GS tank holds a little over a gallon more that the 1st gen.Be sure to get a NON California tank.The non CA tank only has the petcock opening on the bottom and the recessed fuel cap drain on the bottom.With those tall bars,you want have to worry with the bars hitting the tank.
  4. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is how my mate did it on mine - an '04 GS with DR650 forks from around the same era.

Can't say I even noticed but it looks like he added a tube. Redrap's clamps look neater and cheaper to replace.
    In the old days we used to cut, wrap and pin a piece of mudflap round the fork and bolt the lamp to that. Crashproof but iirc bigger lamps wobbled.

Ch

[​IMG]
  5. Bleached

Bleached Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chris,

Could you post up some info on your rear wheel swap? Specifics would be great: what spacers, what axle, how was the brake fitment.... etc.

Thanks
  6. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy to help but to keep it it all together/save doing it twice I’ve answered in full and with pics on my www here.

As it happens, once I got going back in 2010 I was put onto the English guy whose cool red GS is in your first post. He was helpful but seemed reluctant to give the specifics of his back wheel arrangement so my mate and I made it up as we went along.
    Re-reading his emails (below), I think the way we did it was less complicated, certainly with less machining/welding, but his is possibly an early GS like yours?
    Knowing what worked for him and for me may help you decide which way to do proceed.
    I have to say if I was wanting a 17 on the back I’d just leave the GS wheel in place.

Further details on mine here.
    Comms from ‘Rattenshaw’ regarding his red GS5 build:

2.****** Rear wheel, sprocket and brake are DR650.* The two spacers had to be machined from new to get the chain and wheel aligned.* The sprocket carrier, hub and caliper bracket also needed machining. Rear master cylinder is GS500.
    3.****** Swinging arm is GS500 with a lug welded on for the DR650 caliper bracket.
    4.****** Rear suspension dog-legs shortened to jack up the back end.
    5.****** Chain idler installed to stop the chain lower run rubbing on the frame.
    6.****** Chain tensioner installed on the swinging arm (recent mod) to stop chain snatch due to the amount of free play required with the back jacked up.
    7.****** Gearing works out at standard with the GS500 front sprocket, DR650 rear sprocket and a 130/80 x 17 rear tyre.

Added later…
    forgot to add. I doubt you’ll get a 19 in. wheel in the GS500 swinging arm From memory, an 18 in with a 4.00 in tyre wouldn’t fit. The DR650 swinging arm would fit the GS500 frame (identical bearings and identical width at the pivot end), but the wheelbase was way too long; it would have turned into a cruiser.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  7. KLRUSERIOUS?

KLRUSERIOUS? Farkle-whore

Oddometer:
    NOW I've seen everything!
    :eek2
  8. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chris,have you found any aftermarket pegs (like IMS) that will work on our bikes?I hate the stock rubber pegs.I broke the cheap aluminum ones that everyone installs on the GStwin site.
  9. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must say I get on OK with the standard pegs and so far have not thought of changing them.
    They feel too far back for comfortable standing off road but I've yet to see how much of a problem that is.
  10. Bleached

Bleached Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Good info. Still not sure if I'm going to tackle that now or wait. Here's how it currently sits.... sorry for blurry pic. Almost ready for paint and a few small parts that are broken from years of falling over while stored.

[​IMG]
  11. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am considering doing a full DS conversion on my red 92,if I don't sell it.I have some bills and meds I need money for.
  12. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    i'm in too.
    been interested in a gs500 for a few years now.
    these mods would make it desirable enough to motivate me.
    i have some dr350 suspension parts & a frame if i could shoehorn the twin in there
  13. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    Ours is doing great,5,500 miles this trip with around 800 on dirt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought you had a skid plate type thing to protect the lower front of the engine.
  15. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I did but on day 2 we had a big oil leak and I had to take it off to find and eventually fix it.I didn't put it back because I didn't know if my " TEMP" fix was going to hold !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read that.Good to see the patch job held.
  17. rattonshaw

rattonshaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bleached, I was wondering how the project is going. It was looking good up to your last post.

My original dual sport GS500 (page 1 of this thread) is now in bits; was really good fun riding it. (It's being converted into a classic trials bike. I've managed to squeeze the GS500 engine into a GS250 frame and am currently having a spindle made up for the steering stem).
  18. massholejim

massholejim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My friend bought bleaches bike in the basket .He painted the frame swing arm and engine has it together as a roller when it is done I will have him post pics
  19. Emanuel_v19

Emanuel_v19 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Northwestrider, do you have any pics of how you made your rack system? I am interested and i really dont want to shell out so much money on it :/