ADV Rider injured Moose/Motorcycle Collision

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by bjcarter2, Jul 5, 2013.

1. bjcarter2

bjcarter2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Fourth type accident this season

http://www.adn.com/2013/07/03/2963372/motorcyclist-injured-after-hitting.html

Motorcyclist injured in collision with moose on Parks Highway
    Published: July 3, 2013

By Anchorage Daily News — Anchorage

A motorcycle collided with a moose on the Parks Highway Wednesday afternoon, seriously injuring the motorcycle rider, according to Alaska State Troopers.

The first 911 call about the crash came in just after 3:30 p.m.

Scott Smith, 44, of Georgia, was riding a BMW 800cc adventure bike northbound when a cow moose ran in front of him at Mile 147, near the Alaska Veterans Memorial, said trooper spokeswoman Beth Ipsen. Smith was third in a line of three motorcyclists from Georgia touring Alaska on bikes rented from a Palmer shop. He was wearing a helmet.

“The motorcycle hit the moose dead center in the body,” Ipsen said in an email. “The mama moose ran off the road and into the woods where she was found dead.”

The calf hasn’t been found.

Troopers called a charity to process and salvage the meat.

An air ambulance helicopter flew Smith to a hospital. He was conscious and talking at the scene.

The highway was closed for about one and a half hours.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/07/03/2963372/motorcyclist-injured-after-hitting.html#storylink=cpy

Also at: http://www.ktuu.com/news/man-to-be-...oosemotorcycle-crash-20130703,0,3514551.story
  2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have contact with those guys? I like to help those guys out if the need it.

I almost took a mother and calf out outside of Tok a couple of weeks ago. Thank goodness for good braking!
  3. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Wow !!
    Ride safe all.

Recover fast ,& RIP .

Most of all the wildlife I've encounter This season, I was able to spot them about 1/4 miles before passing them.

Are riders getting sleepy, or tired and not paying attention.??

I know there's been time when I've been drowsy .... And pulled off to the side and take a break.
  5. ThatGuy

Oddometer:
  6. crash!!!

crash!!! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I fly back to Texas tomorrow but as I suggested in another thread maybe the local inmates could help him with storage or selling the bike. Poor guys dream trip sure took a turn.
  7. ThatGuy

Oddometer:
    Anyone have contact with him? I'd be more than happy to store it.
  8. UncleRandy

UncleRandy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    He has posted a telephone number in the Craigslist ad if any ADVr would want to reach out to him.
  9. smithpa68

smithpa68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. I'm the guy in the first article, Scott Smith. Stupid moose. I never even saw the damn thing. woke up in the hospital a day or two later. I have no memory of any of the incident at all to this day.

I am still recovering in Anchorage right now. I was at Providence Medical Center in intensive care for four days, then in a regular room for about three days. Now i am at a residence on the hospital grounds meant for traveling families of patients.

Made a lot of progress and now I just can't type very well with casts on my hands and arms (my wife is typing this right now). Quick summary: hit the moose, was fully geared. Never saw the moose, woke up in the hospital. Contusion on my brain, punctured lung,two broken ribs, injured liver, spleen, kidney, internal bleeding, fractured thumb, open fracture right forearm both bones broken. The good news is, most of the stuff that sounds horrible is actually healing really well. My PITA now is mainly with my arms and my hands. More dr appts Monday and Tuesday, then I can finally fly home to Atlanta.

Appreciate the concern from everyone here, and I am floored by how everyone i have met has treated me. everyone from the hospital to the motorcycle shop to the general public has just been fantastic. Lots of good people here in Alaska for sure.

So I will be here for a few more days hanging out until I can fly back home in a few days.
  10. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're going to be OK! Hope your next trip to Alaska, is a little less....eventful!

Jeff
  11. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Definitely. One of the hazards of riding in Alaska is that some of the stuff that flies out of the woods is definitely bigger than a skunk or a rabbit and they're way too solid! Good luck on the rest of the recoup and we'll some of Alaska fresh for your next trip, minus the moose. :thumb
  12. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    We have an overpopulation of the swamp donkeys here as well even though they are an introduced species. They move surprisingly fast for such a massive animal.
    Heal well.
  13. smithpa68

smithpa68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I am super bummed that this happened on day 1. But super happy to be alive and should recover 100 percent. It all evened out I guess.

In case you were interested in any other detail...... Not sure if this is ok on adv or not though.

http://georgiaoffroad.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58282
  14. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    Hey :drif:dhorse Mr Smith..............I checked out your blog and the photos of you first in the hospital were pretty sad, but we are glad to see the recovery occurring at a good rate. The Moose Slippers are the best! I just can't believe to get the slippers one must actually hit a moose, hurry up and get well so you can return and really see then great side of Alaska. I have been there 3 times and it always calls you back for another look.

Get well soon....................:wink:
  15. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry your adventure got cut short... I hope you heal up fast, and everything still works okay.
    Anything you need , let us know.
    Best regards.
    Dean
  16. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    like hittin' Subaru on stilts

get well bro'
  17. Mapco

Mapco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scott! i was informed of thid post by a friend whos username.im now posing on. i was there i actually watched you hit the moose! i was driving a bus. i stopped grabbed my first aid kit and ran over. luckily a women who is an emt came by while we waited for help. im glad to hear yore ok. my email is michaeldean3722@gmail.com if you have any questions.
  18. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you're healing up. I hit a moose on July 4th about 20 miles south of Delta Junction and was lucky enough to ride away with just scrapes and bruises. Sounds like a similar scenario, hit the moose right in the belly after it ran (really fast) out of the trees.
  19. smithpa68

smithpa68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. I guess I never expected this to be so common. Glad you had great luck. Damn big critters.