The PUCKY HUDDLE BREAKFAST RUN ! aka PHBR (MO)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by sieg, May 3, 2013.

1. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    INFO
    updated 7/27/13
    updated: 9/2/2013
    updated: 9-22-2013 tracks are posted

Here&#8217;s the rundown. It&#8217;s 200 plus miles per day for 2 days. Starts and ends near Ste Genevieve Mo. stopping near Bixby/Viburnum for the night. Motel in Viburnum, camping at MTRA&#8217;s club grounds, near Bixby. The course is as much gravel as I could find. Some creek crossings and some lesser traveled, poorly maintained roads also. And maybe some bonus &#8220;Big Boy&#8221; not big bike sections. There is a motel in St Gen., Microtel Inn & Suites; and also in St. Genevieve is The Triangle Inn, and several bread and breakfast establishments. There is also one out on I 55 at Mo. highway &#8220;J&#8221;, Regency Inns & Suites (this motel is 100 yards off the course). The date is set at September 28 & 29 2013. I&#8217;ll post some pictures and highlights of the pre-ride and I'm sure the other pre-riders will chime in.<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

Update: 7-27-2013: I have blocked some rooms for Friday, Sept. 27, at the Microtel Inn & Suites, 21958 Highway 32, Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670 1-800-230-3734 or 573-883-8884. The rooms have double queen beds; they are normally $79.95, but if you tell them you are with the "Pucky Huddle Breakfast Run", they will give you a rate of $71.95 and if you have Triple A or AARP or a military discount, they will give the room to you for $67.96. There is plenty of truck and trailer parking. They have a continental breakfast and a meeting room that we can use for Friday night's socializing. The back of the parking lot is also well shaded for gathering.
    For those camping, there is the Magnolia Hollow Conservation Area. It is 10 or 12 miles from the motel and 5 miles from the course, off of Highway 61 North of St. Genevieve. Take Highway V to White Sands Road. It is very remote and very primitive. The road getting there is worth the trip. There is also Hawn State Park, 15 miles west on Highway 32. It is very nice and neat, full hookups, showers, bathrooms.

Update: 9-2-2013:
    It has been ask about truck parking for non-motel guest. I have talked to the people at the truck stop at "I 55" and "J" they are fine with us parking there, lot's of room, park southwest of the station. It's on the course so not out of the way for those hauling and not staying at the Ste. Gen. motel. This is the location of the Regency Inns and Suites also.

Update: 9-22-2013
    Tracks are done and posted here
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921654
  2. sieg

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The Start! From left to right Layton, Mark, Ray, Kelly, hiding behind me. (The little dogs are Bella and Kobe.)

[​IMG]
    The first set back, club foot Layton toasted his rear brake!
    [​IMG]
    Set back #2. Maybe it is a little deep, honest I've rode it before! Those GS guys will go right up it.
    [​IMG]
    Me and the Big Dog needed a break. We're on team F.O.G. you know! (Fast (or maybe Fat) Old Guys.
    [​IMG]
    Reserve this lovely cabin early. That's F.O.G.'s team leader on the left. No Waitin Layton!
    [​IMG]
    Don't pay no attention to signs, they're for other people.
    [​IMG]
    No whining from the GS guys, he's 70 years old and on a packed KLR.
    [​IMG]
    Just stay to the right shortbritches, it's easy.
    [​IMG]
    Big Dog handles water like a Labrador Retriever.
    [​IMG]
    With a big tank, you can fill less, talk to the ladies more.
    [​IMG]
    That quaint little cabin was booked so we stayed here.
    [​IMG]
    This was what it was all about, 240 miles to get breakfast.
    [​IMG]
    Kerry the Cook
    [​IMG]
    Small tunnel.
    [​IMG]
    The End
  3. CamelBill

CamelBill Ride It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you all had fun, will be a great ride:clap
  4. sieg

Oddometer:
    We missed you! You should get more flexible hours like our pre-ride crew. I know my new work schedule is the best I've ever had. Except for one of us we all have the same days off.:rofl
  5. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and hope to make the ride.

Is the water crossing at set back #2 just off Hwy WW?
  6. sieg

Oddometer:
    Yes it is, your friend Larry told be about it.
  7. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in:clap
    I'll be on the 650 for this one.. (Easier to pick up..)
  8. toondebt11

toondebt11 ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer:
    This looks like a GOOD TIME! See you all at the bridges...
  9. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    I thought it looked familiar. Every time I've been there it has been on the 950 and by myself and I resisted the urge to try it.

This should be a great ride for the 690 :deal
  10. Dustcloud9

Dustcloud9 Cloud Rider/T700

Oddometer:
    I'm in,
    Just need some advice on big (F800GS) or small (KLX250S) bike
  11. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:

Yes a perfect ride for your 690 Dennis.
    George (Sieg)------was really wanting to attract a larger crowd I guess and make it do-able for the GS crowd but probably over stepped that line quite a bit if he indeed includes what George would call during the ride as "Bonus" trails. We'd get on a bonus trail and George would stop and ask me if it was too much for a big bike and I always shook my head yes. Maybe he'll have go--arounds---he talked about that.
    No matter---------the smaller bike the easier the ride will be and the more fun you'll have.

I always knew when we were on a bonus trail immediately----it got too hard for big bikes and I was off course of the gps route I was given.

Sieg didn't say---------but the gps file will not be sent to anybody before sometime in September.

So here is our evil leader Sieg----------he was riding a WR250R and was probably the best rider in our group. I was probably the least proficient rider of the group. I've know Sieg for years and used to ride the gnarliest single track in Missouri with him------or at least on routes he laid on the 2-Day dualsport his club puts on every year---I've ridden that ride a dozen times I'd say------but that was years ago.

This particular spot here was definitely a bonus part-----and even he didn't want to try it----as the water was extremely deep and fast. Then you had to climb those stair steps and rocks that were as slick as snot all year long. Maybe the water will be down this fall--------still be slick tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This cool old cabin was on a "Bonus" part and won't be on the published route-----for reasons I'll not get into--to protect the guilty.

[​IMG]

We had lunch in Lesterville at this place and I was disappointed to see my favorite cafe across the street was closed down---they had the best pie in Missouri.

Kelly was on his brand new KTM 350----the new fuel injected model and he was in love with that bike. He has a WR250R also and has sold his BMW as it didn't suit him for the kind of riding he liked.

[​IMG]

We'd wear ourselves out on the trails and then get a nice road section for just a bit-------man it was a nice day.

[​IMG]
  12. sieg

Oddometer:
    I scouted it out and GPS'ed it mostly with my Versys. But I rode it this week with my WRR. My GS stayed home. It's been done with a KLR, a KTM 500 & 350 and 2 WRR's. I could ride it all with my GS' .... but I won't. :deal So whatever you think. I will post more pictures, to show more of the roads.
  13. shortbritches

shortbritches Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm the baby of the group,you know the one who still works for a living. Great Ride! George and others have spent a a lot of time and effort to put this together.Write it on the calendar it will be a good one.
  14. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    We made it to Suttons Bluff and stopped at the shelter.
    When we rode the MTRA Dual-Sport we'd have lunch here.
    The Midwest Trail Riders Association built this shelter which is in the Sutttons Bluff campground---that was year ago.
    Now guess what ----------they don't want us dirt riders in the campground any more.
    Thanks !!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sieg has nice waypoints for ole' farts like me so I'd know there was slick as snot water crossing coming up---however, sometimes they are slick and sometimes they aren't---just don't bet the farm on them not being slick. People that ride in Missouri a lot are very familiar and aware of these nasty little boogers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got to Bixby which is a lunch stop on the first day-------but not the 2nd.
    Sieg asked everybody if they wanted to eat here or in Viburnam which was just 5 miles down the road.
    I told them I didn't care what they did I was stopping in and saying hi to Bridgette and have some pie and ice cream.
    Some of the guys were tired and wanting a bath I suppose---I wasn't tired and was in no hurry----I'm retired you know :D:D:D

I told Bridgette I tried to talk them guys into staying -----and got a hug :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. shortbritches

shortbritches Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried to hug Layton at the end of that day but he wouldn't let me.
  16. Potosi Joe

Potosi Joe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks like fun. Did you guys pass through Caledonia? I think I saw you pass the house on Webster RD.
  17. CamelBill

CamelBill Ride It! Supporter

Oddometer:
    It has all been done on a nine-fiddy too, a couple of times matter of fact:deal Just sayin' :evil
  18. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride :thumb
  19. sieg

Oddometer:
    Yep. Is it that cool house with the red barn tin roof 2.5 miles west.
  20. sieg

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just some views from the route.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]