BMW F800/650GS Owners - Who would like brake pedal adjustment?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Aquatic, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys

I've been asked by a friend here in Aus to design and build him an adjustable rear brake pedal for his F650GS "Adventure"
    In an attempt to make a pedal that could suit anyone and everyone, please could you give me some indication on how much adjustment(in mm please), if any, would suit you. The more people the better.

Up or Down.
    Forward or backwards
    and the reason for the move - pivot pegs, standing, sitting, too short, too tall, etc.

Kindly PM your contributions
    Please, help me to help you!
  2. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Stock doesn't bother me enough that I'd buy a replacement, but it could certainly be improved. I'd want it slightly lower in the downward arc. Maybe 8mm of travel through the radius at the outside end of the lever when at rest than it currently is.

As you would be replacing the whole caboodle, why not make it better too?
    Include an easy way of mounting a wire to it and round one of the nearby engine bolts to cut through branches/long grass/berms that get stuck in the way. I'd also want it larger (think same size as an OE one with the TT enlarger fitted). Finished in matt black, please.
  3. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will take any info into account.
    Thanks for that:clap
  4. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    Like the suggestions so far. For me I run Pivot Pegz, and when standing with MX boots on I have to be careful to not drag the rear brake. My guess (don't have anyone to help measure exactly) would be 10-15 mm lower would do the job for sure. Maybe even less. I would be interested in this even if it has less than that amount of lower adjustment (as long as there is some amount) for all the other stuff already listed.

Put me down for definite interest. Would shipping to the US be an issue? Thanks for looking in to this.
  5. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my biggest request would be to have the pedal surface foldable. I've bent my pedal a few times and I'm sure the next time I try to bend it back it's going to break off.
  6. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wild @ heart makes one...... F800depot.com tell rob Ben sent you... :deal
  7. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    Same here. I ordered the Touratech version, but didn't like how the arm was routed under the foot peg instead of over it like stock. Seemed much more prone to damage, so I sent it back. A foldable pedal, routed OVER the foot peg please!
  8. butterflymethane

butterflymethane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would have to say I'd want a brake pedal that was (no more than) 10mm higher than stock, so that it would bring the pedal in an upwards position so that it becomes more parallel with the foot peg (ie) almost the same height, slightly lower. So something that attaches to the foot pedal and of course, sturdy but won't cost me an arm and a leg :D (This is for the F650GS twin)
  9. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.

I will look into the shipping at a later stage. Can't see it being a problem, just the cost.
  10. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What did you bend it on? Would the cable joined to the frame have helped?
    Bent up or backwards?
  11. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No pics! Not that I want to copy it.
    I want to make it more adjustable than just a drop down on the pedal
  12. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  13. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  14. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice feature ... depending upon price.
  15. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rocks and boulders from drops and crashes on rough terrain. Usually my pedals haven't been hit but lately it seems to be a target... shifter and brake.
  16. cranbo

cranbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I realize it's a slightly different design, but the brake pedal for my F650 could be lower, and slightly longer; wider/more grippy surface; I really like the idea of adjustable length, grip area, and folding/spring-loaded tip.

I'm 6'5 with size 14 feet. With Fastway pegs on lower position, the pedal is way too high for me, and have no possibility of adjusting:

[​IMG]
  17. AZGym

AZGym * * * *

Oddometer:
    I am running Roc Stompa pegs on my F800GS which actually moves the standard foot position forward from the stock pegs. I would be interested in a longer brake pedal or one that had that adjust-ability. Also, I can see the need for up/down adjust-ability because the stock cleat is so large, that I can't seem to miss it when I am standing on the pegs riding off-road. I end up dragging the brake. A smaller cleat might also help with this.
  18. nzcvlh

nzcvlh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cut off the part of the stop that contacts the brake switch and brazed on a 1 inch coupling nut in its place. then added a stainless threaded bolt with a lock nut. Now I can adjust up or down w/o any issues. Just need to adjust cylinder rod at the same time so you have the correct freeplay and completely release brake. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Simple and have been using for over a year w/o issue.
    Dave
  19. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    No they make a folding shift lever, not a folding brake.
  20. deguoren

deguoren 该出手时就出手

Oddometer:
    I would like a height adjustable brake lever like on the 1200 Adventure. For easy adjustment between on and offroad riding.

But nobody makes anything like that :2cry