Text and ride? Cops do it in Tempe!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by OsoADV, Jul 1, 2013.

1. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
  2. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    The Newsblip is right, no "cell phone/texting" laws in Arizona (unless you're a school bus driver). And apparently doing 80 in traffic is OK, too. Sets a bad example.

Maybe I am turning curmudgeonly, but the only times I approach 80mph is on the out-of-town stretches of limited access Interstate highway, and even then I'm on alert because I am traveling at high speed.

--Bill
  3. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill, Have you ever ridden around Tempe/Tucson.
    Go 80 or you're gonna get run off the road.:eek1

I'm not siding with the texting cop, just sayin'.
  4. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Of COURSE they do... because they are smarter and have better driving/riding skills than all the rest of us. :huh Laptop PC's too.
  5. feathered

feathered Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When it comes to traffic, cops seem to do whatever the fuck they want, whenever the fuck they want. It doesn't matter if they're in a car or on a motorcycle or on their feet.

It would be nice to flash my lights and roll through an intersection instead of waiting.
  6. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    They're entitled. [ To fresh donuts. ] :lol3
  7. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    "While the officer did not break any law, the department says it has policies specifically banning their officers from texting while operating police vehicles."
    Too bad we can't have that here. Kansas has laws that specifically allow officers to be able to text while operating motor vehicles. :asshat
  8. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    One day i saw 2 cop cars with full lights and sirens hauling ass doing about 130km/h on a 50 km/h street in town. I watched them pull into the Tim hortons (donut shop) for their break. Douce bags.
  9. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Did they look like this?

[​IMG]
  10. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    Which is why I hate the bastards with a passion :deal
  11. bv11

bv11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So this guy gets disciplined for doing something that isn't illegal, that anyone who posted in this thread could do without consequence, and everyone lines up to bitch that the police can do whatever they want?
  12. Skooter

Skooter moto-slowpoke

Oddometer:
    Probably has something to do with the tax money in their paychecks. Wild guess.
  13. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Believe it or not I didn't post the article/photo in hopes of starting a police-bashing session. My father, grandfather, and uncle have all had careers in law enforcement. I've met cops that are great stand up guys that everyone here would love, and others that live up to the negative reputation they've earned as a people group. It would appear this fellow falls into the latter category based on the story.

When you enter into a career of public service, you enter into a higher level of public scrutiny. You're in a position of authority and you are paid from tax dollars. People are watching you and waiting for you to screw up. And now, almost everyone of them is armed with a camera at all times (smartphones). Doing something stupid like this, legal or not, is, well, stupid. What he was doing was endangering the lives of others and his own. The fact that he was caught on camera and it went public has probably already contributed to the saving of lives across the country.

As for being disciplined, the statemnt from his department states he was violating specific policies that prohibit texting while operating police vehicles. That's pretty clear cut to me.
  14. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  15. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:

Just wait until the Hot Now neon sign lights up at the local Krispy Kreme! Better get out of their way!:lol3:lol3:lol3
  16. DGraham

DGraham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one that sees the irony of the guy both speeding and operating his cell phone as a movie camera while driving, in order to bust a cop for distracted driving? Kind of like beating your kid for hitting someone.
  17. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never got in another fight again though
  18. Geolander

Geolander Scruffy Nerf Herder

Oddometer:
    Can't wait until for the news report on "Police officer down in Tempe.. As a result of texting while riding his state issued, tax payer purchased motorcycle on duty"

Bad example or Darwin @ work?

Live and let live I say.

:evil
  19. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "the department says it has policies specifically banning their officers from texting while operating police vehicles"

Oh and just because an act is not illegal does not mean it is not dangerous and stupid.
  20. bv11

bv11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My point was not that he should be able to text while riding, but that, at least in this instance, the cop was not able to get away with doing whatever he wanted to do as some of the earlier posters complained about.