Great Western Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Countdown, Sep 18, 2013.

1. bbenn75820

bbenn75820 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish I had your job........... Thank you for all you do!
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am looking for connecting dirt roads between the GWT (FR 206) and hiway 64 that runs along the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

I see Jerry's tracks show one near Grandview Lookout. My old Topo maps show several more. But City Navigator does not show these roads.

There is one about 5 miles west of the southbound portion of 64 that would work out. There are also a couple east of the Grandview one that might make a good return to the GWT.

Thanks.
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are roads all over the place there, I tried to ride all of them then pick the best for GWT. Grand View, fire tower, and old cabin were attractions to go by. As you head east it gets very rocky. My track past the cabin just south of the Hwy can get muddy.

I have tracks of all my scouting if you e-mail me.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did some research found a few things. I managed to get a hold of the MVUM for the part of the Kaibob NF that borders the park.

It doesn't show any roads heading into the park in the area I was interested in. But it does show a road going in from Hull Cabin and I have found other references to this road going thru. And it shows up on Google Earth. Will probably try this.

I was hoping to find a map of Grand Canyon back country roads like the one the Park services publishes for Death Valley. But no luck.

BTW It looks like a ~4.4 mile chunk of the primary GWT (green track AZ 09 Williams-Cameron) west of 64 is not on the MVUM.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5436420.pdf
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over the weekend I pulled together the Utah tracks I have collected into a Statewide Motorized Trail System. It is a 3 meg gdb file posted on GPSXchange.com
  6. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We rode the section from Cameron to Hanks gas station yesterday.

This was as good as any ride we have ever done - absolutely fantastic roads.

Thanks to Countdown for the tracks.

Today we were planning to backtrack up to the northwest from Flagstaff and do the section from hiway 180 to Camp Verde but we got snowed out.

We had to stick to slab.

We are starting our exploration of new stuff above the Mogollon rim tomorrow. I will post tracks and pictures when we finish this trip.
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone planning on riding any of the GWT this summer? Would like feedback.
  8. MalayznSenzashn

MalayznSenzashn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Countdown,

A couple of friends and I are considering the AZBDR, and I stumbled across this thread. One of my former riding partners got engaged :dohand he and his girl are doing a tour of the West in a nicely outfitted jeep. I'll be meeting them and some others on my 690, but will now being trailed by a 4WD beer cooler/steak fridge:clap:clap

Are your tracks Jeep passable? I assume if they just stick to the ADV routes, they should be ok? I am not really sure how to peruse your tracks more thoroughly on GPSxchange, but I scanned through the tracks that you listed in your first post here. Looks fairly similiar, but from what people are saying more dirt-y, which are exactly what we're looking for.

Thanks for putting all this together...
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything Red is single Track, Any Adv is 2-Track, Most (if not all) Dark Green is 2-track to real Jeep Rd.

You are looking down in Private Libraries? GWT is very clear, like CDR

Yes much more dirt-y
  10. MalayznSenzashn

MalayznSenzashn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for getting back at me so fast.

HOLY CRAP thats some detail. I just figured out how to join/dl the file. I'll have to spend some time going through it to figure out what to do. I did Cannonshots CDR ride...or the first 600miles of it, anyway...and the detail is right on par. Wow, youse guys put a lot of work in.

Thank you again
  11. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    This looks intriguing. I'm a bit confused as to what my next adventure is. I have a GSA and have done the Cobdr utbdr and azbdr. Hyper single track doesn't excite me but I'm very capable.

I've always wanted to get to the Montana area and head west. I'd love to know any counsel as well as where to get the right tracks.
  12. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have posted up on ADVrider another route that might be useful for you - The Northern Route - it goes from central PA all the way to the coast north of Seattle.

PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA.

Once you get to Montana there are many options.... look at the Montana 1000 as another option in that area.

The TET/TET-S is not currently posted on ADVrider, but there are some things working in the background that could change that in the new year.
    CaptainAdv likes this.
  13. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Great. Thank you.
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Jerry,
    just downloaded the tracks from gpsxchange. It looks like it ends somewhere around Yellowstone. Is that accurate? Does the trail not hit the Ca. border? We're looking for a more challenging Mex->Canada trip than the continental divide. Not anything too radical. We still need to make time only having 2.5 weeks or so to complete. Your GWT sounds about right.

Thanks for all of your work.

Cheers,
    Jim
  15. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim yes the Motorized GWT ends at the CDR in Ashton (West Yellowstone) ID. Hiking trail enters Wilderness going to Can. Motorized has choice follow CDR or Tour of Idaho back at Preston S/E corner of ID. It could be done in under 18 days.

GWT is good Dual Sport (<500cc) trail but for best Mex->Can see: http://www.mex2can.com/

I have hundreds of photos posted in right column of Mex2Can rode on: http://www.dualsportwest.com/
  16. levain

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I looked at that site a couple weeks ago, but I wasn't looking for a tour-rather the tracks. Is that possible?
  17. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not on your life, I see how a large number of riders on this site treat Sam with his Transamerica Trail.

This is not a guided ride, just turn key for you. You Start, Ride, & Finish each day all on your own. We just supply support.
  18. levain

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I didn't mean any disrespect. I'm not looking for hotel, bike transfers or anything else, so I thought it was a guided ride. Can you pay for just the tracks?
    Looks like a great ride. cheers,
  19. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    The problem with that is way too many people after paying say "I paid for it, it's mine now, and I'm free use it then give it to anyone else I want including posting on the internet for everyone to use". A bunch of people right here on ADV use arguments like that, and take actions like that, which is why some major ride creators don't share everything they create. GWT is a shared thing, Jerry's Mex2Can isn't. I do the same thing with my creations, some shared some not. I would share a lot more if the "entitlement" types weren't so numerous.
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    See answers above