Canyonlands Adventure Ride. May 2013

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by COXR650L, Dec 1, 2012.

1. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    You did great. As I recall the big issue is that it was quite warm and you were wrestling that pig is some pretty deep sand and got a bit overheated.
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, I've let work get in the way of ADV. I'll try not to let it happen again. :evil

While registered, I'm still about 50% on this ride. I'm still trying to gage Paula's interest & availability for spending a week in Utah. At the same time, I'm trying to decide whether or not to go under the knife & get at least one of my hands fixed (CTS). I talk with the hand cutter this Thursday.
  3. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Jeff...the women got all the attention. Me and poor Howell were just two old men trying to survive...knees popping out of socket, wheelieing out of control on Elephant Hill, left for dead on the side of the trail without water. I tell ya...it was worse than the Bataan Death March.:lol3
  4. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    You are the reason I always have to wear ear plugs on a ride. :rofl

You got your knee back into place on your own, right? I just wish you could have been a little quicker about it. :deal

It's quite a detour using the Impossible Hill loop. I'm guessing it would add at least 10 miles and ~1 hour to the ride. Probably not a deal if you are camping in Ruin Park. For those of us pressing on to Blanding, we'll probably have to pass. OTOH, Chub Valley is spectacular. Stop at the shady choda for a nice break.

[​IMG]

There is a nice overlook where you can get a peak at the Colorado River.
    [​IMG]

Going up Impossible Hill sux.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please remember and respect the speed limits in the Park.
    [​IMG]

(Quietly waiting to see how many people google "choda" now:rofl)
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Hope it's not too bad, that stuff can sideline ya all summer. Good luck with it Jeff.
  6. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool pictures, I have never seen impossible hill, but I can tell you just based on the pictures it would without question be harder going down it than up bobby's hole:deal:eek1

For the camping group that would be a cool trip to the Colorado River Overlook after we unload the camping stuff. Jeff, I think you said there are some ruins on that loop? Can you see them from the road, if so how do they compare to ruin park?

After looking at a few maps I am pretty sure I know the loop everyone is talking about from Impossible Hill into ruin park, but just so we are clear it is the road spur to the right after you go down impossible hill (not the left down the valley) right?

Hope the hand is ok Jeff.
  7. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, there are many more ruins out that way, but they aren't well documented. Grizgirl saw some towers that I missed. If you get to Ruin Park early, it would be cool to have a few hours to explore all of the roads to the South. Make it a leisurely ride so you have time to look around.
  8. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Jeff, hope you are all healed and Paula decides to come to the Swell camp.

I'm satisfied I'll make it up BH hill somehow even with all my camping gear loaded on my pig. I figure the extra torque of the 650 will make up for the weight and lack of ground clearance. (yeah right, I sound like a salesman).

Getting excited for this trip! I'll have a new D606 on the rear, not a lot of choices for a 17" rear but that should save me from being stuck in Bobby's Hole forever.. :lol3
  9. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    beware of that front, I bought one, rode about five miles on it and promptly put the worn out desert IT back on, And then told all my friends to never buy a tire with sedona written on it. It was the worst front I'd ever tried...by far.
    IMO, of course.
  10. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    I had the same experiance with the MotoZ Desert Tractionators.
    The rear I love for the desert type traction and bite, not so good in mud.:puke1
    The front I took off after 1 ride. Scary siding and almost zero bite.
    YMMV of course!
  11. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Riiiigggghhhhtttt..... The Theory of Blinding Momentum. :rolleyes

Personally, I think the hairiest part will be getting up Elephant Hill.
  12. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I tend to agree with you. After seeing pics of that girl riding those two XT's up BH, I kinda think that first big step-up at EH may be worse. That's the spot where Howell did the rodeo cowboy stunt without ever really crashing.:lol3
  13. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come on you guys we just got all the nerves settled about BH and now its Elephant Hill. Whats next, the sand is deep and the mud is thick:rofl:D Just kidding :lol3 Its going to be a great trip.

Ben
  14. Greg@RME

Greg@RME Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:

Oh, nobody even mentioned the quicksand in Canyonlands....

:lol3
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    We're keeping quiet about the off-camber sidehill cliffline singletrack that runs 2000' above the Colorado rapids, after all this is the "Canyonlands Adventure Ride" :clap
  16. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ince and Assfault, tires are a tough call and always so subjective. I do like the IT's but something a little cheaper would be nice:deal

Unless something drastic changes I will be sticking with the Golden Boy on the rear of my 610:wink::lol3
  17. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So...ummm.....did he just discover that someone installed a massive restrictor plate in the back of his silencer before he tried to get up BH? :lol3
  18. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    It's a Supertrapp. Was way too loud at the time. He's since removed some plates.
  19. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Hey COXR...are you guys camping near BH in the park or just outside? Seeing that "Overnight Use by Permit Only" sign reminded me of the CNP rules.
  20. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya thats easy to forget about. We will be camping just a few miles after BH. There is a pretty nice little spur road that leads to secluded area that is real nice to throw a tent on.