Do loud pipes save lives?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Apr 29, 2011.

?

Do Loud pipes save lives?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simple question. There is a poll going on in another forum... It's a "Biker" forum and as it stands now it is about 1774 "YES" // 74 "NO". What say you peeps that actually ride?
  2. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:

They just might. Let's say you don't really ride very much, and you're scared of the front brake lever, but you went and got yourself an... oh, let's call it an 'SAE Cruiser' with the loudest open pipes you could find.

If it keeps you from riding because the noise give you a headache, it just might save your life.
  3. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    :lol3

:amazon
  4. stubmw

stubmw some what aloof

Oddometer:
    From a strict scientific view, insufficient data to pass judgement. Much like hi viz-gear.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. khager

khager Long timer

Oddometer:
    While they are annoying, I do have to admit when I hear that low rumble over my own bike, and feel the vibration while going down the FWY I look around and usually spot offending Harley/Cruiser nearby. So if I can hear it thru my earplugs, who knows some cagers might even hear it, look around, and see that there is a M/C in the area. :huh
  6. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say one page before the HD bashing begins..

:lurk

Oh wait I guess it already has....
  7. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    It IS Friday, you know.
  8. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. flak

flak Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I7hQN4Amaeg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. Jedl

Jedl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume that the "loud pipes" guys have chosen loud pipes over the alternative "They can't see me and every cage is out to kill me anyway so it's my responsibility to avoid them" strategy. Sad really that someone would chose a safety plan based on pissing off everyone rather than take an active roll in their own self-preservation. But that's the world we live in . . . . . I think I'll keep my bike quiet and continue to fly under the radar.
  11. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    Depends. Does the bike have ABS?
  12. Roam

Roam If you want to

Oddometer:
    Obviously the honest answer would be yes. Whether the the safety gained is out weighed by the annoyance created is a question best answered by the self centered pricks running headlight modulators.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. Max Buffet

Max Buffet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to be a Paramedic and you would not believe how long you can follow on somebodies bumper with lights and sirens blaring before they actually notice you.
    Loud-pipe people are fooling themselves, damaging their hearing, and alienating the public in general.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only thing loud pipes may save you from is somebody merging into you, if you don't have the skill to avoid that or use your horn, your going to kill yourself anyway.

Definitely No.
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

No brand just pipes. A simple question.
  16. stubmw

stubmw some what aloof

Oddometer:
    Why the assumption that the two strategies are mutually exclusive?

Yea I agree that loud pipes piss people off, however I have never seen any scientific evidence one way or the other on there effectivenes.

I can offer anecdotal evidence of were a loud noise made a motorist aware of the presense of another. On several occasion have seen a cop trying to pull over a car with his lights but only made the car occupant aware of his presense by zapping him with his siren.

17. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  18. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    At one time I would have said yes, but unless your pipes can be heard over the 1.26 Giga Watt stereo systems, and soundproofing in the newer cars, your loud pipes are only heard by other bikers.

Most cagers have become immune to hearing them, so they just don't notice much anymore.
  19. flak

flak Long timer

Oddometer:
    bunny :cry
    true story, just this week...

I work in the city and need to walk a few blocks to catch a train out of here each evening - anyway, the street right outside my building is one of the main city streets, gets a lot of loud pipe pirates

when I walk up the first block, there's a row of cars parked next to the sidewalk and the lanes of traffic are beyond that - as I'm walking by a couple nights ago, a mother was just putting her kid in the rear carseat - I happened to look over as I'm walking up, the kid was nice and calm - just then a really loud cruiser ripped by and immediately he began screaming as all the noise shook the air - I was already passing the scene by this point but I could still hear him screaming - I can just imagine what mom was thinking after this

so yeah, this is the legacy of bike riders everywhere because people with pipes like this are making the rest of you look bad - even if you ride a quiet bike, I think it's just one of those associations people make - oh a motorcycle? hmmm, probably just another careless a-hole...
  20. stubmw

stubmw some what aloof

Oddometer:
    Excellent point.

But I would imagine that most humans are extremely self-centered when employing tactics or devices they precieve are helping to save their life?