Lesson on levers?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Zuendapp, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Zuendapp

Zuendapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I am new to trials and yes I have just broken the end off of my AJP (Montesa 4RT) Front brake lever.

I have seen folding lever assembly's on the net, ARC and in England RFX, Is this the way to go for a beginner? Any negatives for this style lever?

Are there better levers than brittle AJP ( is S3 or Apico better? ) Any other brands you can suggest.

Thanks again for your help
    Terry
  2. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    They all break. Make sure your perches are loose enough, so they can easily rotate. Lot of people put teflon tape under them so the turn smoothly. Also make sure the lever is mounted inward enough, so the ball of the lever does not stick out past the end of the grip.

Oh and don't fall down.:D
  3. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    wait, that's an option? :muutt
  4. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years

Oddometer:
    Save the balls that break off. Someone with a TIG welder can weld them back on. Also you can carefully bend levers back using the closed end wrench big enough to pass over the ball. Hold firmly and carefully bend. Or put the lever in a vice....

A trick to running your clutch and brake master cylinders loose is grease the threads and the bar clamp surfaces. Some folks use Teflon tape on the bar at the clamp. Run tight enough such that they'll not move when you are riding, but theoretically will move in a crash.

The better you get the less you'll fall, and when you do, you'll fall smarter. I haven't broken the ball end of a lever off in like 20 years.
  5. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    In case you dont "see" what we're saying about where your levers OUGHT to be, here is a Pic...

[​IMG]

Notice the clutch lever does stay about 3 inches from the edge of the handlebar end. Plus I have at least 3 wraps of Teflon tape on the perches, and you have to bump the levers to move them up or down, but they give if you fall down.

Oh, and I don't fall down anymore, lol. (ok yeah I knocked on wood as I said that.

You could try those bark buster things they're talking about, but IMHO I dunno, I carry spare levers, it is just something you buy when you buy a bike period, spare levers.

Bark busters just seem to scream "look, I am going to fall any minute now, trust me" at me when I see them.
  6. africanjon

africanjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cant see pic:huh
  7. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Crap. Ill get another link.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I don't have bark busters but instead have all the plastic wrapped on my body! :uhoh
  9. africanjon

africanjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers!
  10. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Guys, I got sidetracked and busy,

Here's a picture. [​IMG]

PS this bike is forsale, some info in this our trials flea-market. $4500, BEST OFFER.
  11. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Still no see.
  12. Sting32

Oddometer:
    Dammit, what is blocking it, looks great when I first post it. Ok trying again, if it fails, well wait, why wait. Ill pm the link, and my email address. if that fails, I will go mow the grass I guess.

[​IMG]
  13. Zuendapp

Zuendapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info,
    I have put Teflon tape under the lever clamp on the handlebars and moved both levers in from the end of the bars.

Now if I just quit falling over I'll be OK :-)

I appreciate the help
    Terry