Please contrast 990 ADV and 990 SMT

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by SR1, Sep 26, 2009.

1. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    Gents,
    I have learned that the 990 SMT is scheduled for US markets in 2010.

Please consider the following prior to your reply:

Last year I tasted the divine well of freebase cocaine that is the 990 ADV. As a 1200GS owner, I have considered purchasing an ADV to compliment, rather than replace my GS.

Background: I use my GS primarily for "sport-touring" with strong emphasis on SPORT. I even take my GS on track days. I am even adamant about my dislike of the GSA due to its added pork. My GS gets a strong workout in Appalachian twisties (when I am stateside anyways) and rarely sees a straight road, nor dirt, honestly. I DO plan to purchase a DRZ-400E for dirt work...but...that damned ride on the 990ADV seduced me. Faster than my GS, deeper lean angles (no crash bar/cylinder head to touch down), but essenitally the same ergos, which I MUST HAVE due to weird nerve problems that give me fits on sport bikes.

I can ride my GS all day, every day, no nerve issues. I think I can do the same on the 990 ADV, no problem, but it has the speed/lean angle cocaine feature that the GS doesn't provide. Now there's the damned SMT...

So, could you gentle folk contrast the SMT and the ADV? I don't do any bullshit IBA rides. My trips are usually 1 day or week long affairs, strafing twisties and camping along the way. Home base will be Chattanooga TN, so I'm in the mountains immediately. Weather protection is nice, but at the cost of weight/sublime handling no thank you. I also enjoy the long travel high quality suspension of both the GS (I have Ohlins) and the ADV. That will save your ass all leaned over and hitting a pothole, or jumping a RR track...I'm not sure how much the SMT compares in this regard.

I believe the ADV can compliment the GS, but the SMT may compliment it even more, without so much overlap. However, if the SMT can't bring some of the GS luxury to the table (outlandish lights, heated everything for winter twisty fixes), then I'll keep my focus on the ADV. I look forward to your answers.
  2. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since I'm in NC, I can't reply directly, because the SMT ain't here yet...

But have you thrown a leg over the Super Duke? If not, you'd be surprised at the comfort level. I see a Sprint in your sig line; when I straddle one of those I immediately think, "No freakin' way I could ride this thing over an hour". When I straddle an SD, it feels like it was assembled around me. I'm 6'4", 230#, 46 years old, and out of shape. I've only ridden big D/S bikes for the last seven years, and the SD feels immediately comfortable and natural. Don't know what your nerve issue is, but low-mileage, nicely-equipped SD's are selling for less than $8k, so you could practically cut your budget in half v. the SMT, and have zero overlap with the GS.

Or you could wait for the rumored KTM 1190 Adventure Travel with tubeless 19/17 wheels, and eliminate the GS.

I know. Didn't help a bit.:D
  3. viatormundi

viatormundi Citizen of the world

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden SMT but drove 950 SM and currently have a 990 Adventure. I am assuming that SMT will have very similar character to SM. It is a very fun bike to ride on twisty roads whereas 990 Adv and 1200GS (I also owned a 1200GS before) are more like swiss knife bikes. You can do almost everything but nothing perfectly with them. Right now I don't have the right budget to own multiple bikes therefore keep my 990 Adv in the garage. I can take it on twisty roads, ride on the highway with decent speed, change the tires and have fun on former Dakar routes in Morocco. So versatile it is, but if I had enough money I would buy a SM or SMT for asphalt rides.

In your case, you already have swiss knife type of bike, I would suggest that you complement it with SM or SMT or sell the damn BMW and join the dark and funny side thus buy a 990 Adv :D
  4. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    The Sprint puts me in pain in 30 mins. I've tried to sell it twice, it just won't sell...thus, I keep it. Don't ride it, but I keep it. :umph
  5. Dagny_Taggart

Dagny_Taggart John Galt - 2020

Oddometer:
    Oh Crap :rilla

He speaketh the truth. What can I sell to finally get a 990SMT?:scratch
  6. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 950 Adventure in 2004 after the BMW dealer's arrogance finally pissed me off enough to say bye-bye to many years of riding a BMW. While it started out as a not so perfect steed, with the help of ADVRIDER and the other thugs who bought and learned about KTM's dual sport bike I've become a huge advocate of the machinery and the total hooliganism you can have on a KTM adventure...

Recently, I decided to purchase a 990 SuperDuke and HFS I'm in total love with the thing. It's everything the adventure was time 10! Great ergo's fantastic street spirit, an easy all day rider and, provided you can stay away from the LEOs, almost impossible to ride slow (ie speed limit) you just want to try that corner just a little faster each time!!

I just saw the pictures of the 990 SMT and I'm quite smitten with the looks. I'll need to check it out when it gets here but I've also hear the rumors of the 1120 Duke... So many choices and so little time!

My only take on the Adventure is it's definitely the better bike if you're gonna do offroading. On the street... Duke today... SMT or the Ultra Super Duke tomorrow.

Have fun figuring out which way to go!

Rick
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    buy a used 990 for $9,000...add 19/17" wheels....spend the $5,000 you save on strippers and beer....

done...
  8. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    I've got a 950 super enduro with a set of Woodys Supermoto wheels. It's nothing short of begging to get me arrested. I love it. I keep my knobbies fresh for my off road ventures and can tear it up on the commute all week.
  9. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Csteve%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Csteve%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Csteve%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-ZA</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; color:windowtext;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> Here's the thing.

I’ve ridden about 600miles this past weekend on a smt that was given to me to test by our local friendly dealer.

The main idea was to head up into real dual sport territory at the local cederberg adventure bike challenge. So me and the gf packed the SMT and hit the road. 2 hours tar and another 2 hours on dirt- I mean horrible gravel roads, rocks and even some sand.

2 up we had some scary moments in the rough stuff. I didn’t want to damage the bike, so I was extra careful. The bike performed flawlessly. Even though the sand. Let’s face it. Gravel is not its forte, but it can do it. Good gravel no problem and if you need to do a little more aggressive roads, fit some scorpions at least, but the bike really shined on the tarmac. I was cruising at about 100-110mph most the time, smiling through the sweepers and getting home quickly.

I then took it though our local sport bike mountain pass. About 10miles of climbing and then dropping with hairpins and s-bends that will make you hurl. I was scraping pegs with the gf on the back and the bike just wanted more. whack it out of the bend in second and you find yourself pointing the front wheel to the sky... the bike is a total h00t... I love it.

My fav bike use to be the superduke, but this bike has to have it beaten... by far. Wind protection, comfortable, plenty of power and it handles like a 600. what more could I ask for?

a little teaser.

[​IMG]
    <o:p></o:p>
  10. wee tee cee

wee tee cee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ran a 990adv for 18k.I test road the super duke prior to buying the adv,It was lighter faster and taughter....but....It was devoid of weather protection less all day friendly and harsher.
    I was seduced by the 990 sm and gave it an extensive test ride over tight twisty poorly surfaced tarmack roads,in the wet, I ride on a regular basis....It was fantastic in a far smaller range of abilities than the adv.The suspension was superior in relation to hard road riding...the brakes were outstanding.It was far more taught and raw.It felt 20kg lighter and 20 hp more powerfull...BUT..weather protection was non existant,the ride was harsher and the performance was in the real world very similar....Immediately after the test ride I rode the same roads on my own 990 adv,I still maintain it is the better comprimise ride/handling/performance wise.I ride in the wet alot,the compliance of the adv finds a lot of grip that a sporty set up doesnt.A 19/17 set up on a second hand adv would tick all your boxes.The smt is a 990sm with more weight and weather protection but less practicality ie no main stand/full size rear panniers abiilty/comy seat/weather protection.Enjoy whatever you buy....
  11. Batandball617

Batandball617 n00b

Oddometer:
    I had the very good fortune to ride a 990 Adventurer and a SMT back to back last Wednesday.

A friend accompanied me on my visit to Philip McCallen Motorcycles in Lisburn, Northern Ireland. The sales manager, Sam, suggested we took out both machines and test them back to back, so we did.

We spent the rest of the day (131 miles) on all types of roads enjoying these remarkable machines. Both are amazing, If your going to stay mostly on tarmac then it's the SMT; If your going to venture off road then it's got to be the Adventurer. Be warned, be prepared to endure server Jaw Ache as you will be smiling for the rest of the day!

For me it will be the Adventurer for it's all round excellence. I can't wait to get my Space Hopper!

Big thanks to Sam and all down at McCallens. They really do go the extra yard.

Keep you shiny side up!
  12. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    It just seems to me that the SMT pulls so much harder then the ADV... although it could be the gearing.
  13. chinditone

chinditone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out this answer on SMT on UK KTM Supermoto site.

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42239

Also, if you have time, check out the other posts on the SMT on the UK KTM Supermoto site. Very good user feedback.

Good luck and remember that patience and good research brings the best rewards. SMT looks a very good bike.
  14. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    simple put , the SMT is awesome!

Is it better then the SE with motard wheels? I dont know... but I can think that It will be better on a track as the suspention on the SMT is awesome...

But Id far rather ride a real duallie with road wheels should the need arise.
  15. chinditone

chinditone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found this site and UK SMT user feedback very helpful - popped it all on one thread. Feel free to use and copy:

There are some ex and current 950 adventure owners amongs the comments.

Looking at a 990 SM/T & Hello:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42146
    PC3 on 990 SMT:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39310
    Looking at a 990 SM-T or 990 SM:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41061
    SMt Top Speeds and speedo accuracy:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41682
    SMT Reliability:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41774
    SMR to SMT:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41686
    SMT Tyre:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40880
    950 Supermoto or 990 SMT? Need Advice:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42239
    SMT Great 2-up?:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42283
    smt wind noise???:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=37121
    Looking at a 990 SM-T:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41061
    Fast bikes sm-t test:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42554
    A Question for you SM-T owners?:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42166
    Two up suspension on an SMT:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42032
    Which crash bungs for SMT?:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42307
    skidmarx super duke hugger fitted to SMT:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42275
    Idle Level on a SMT990:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42009
    hello almost an SMT owner:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40314
    SMt Top Speeds and speedo accuracy:
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41682
  16. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SR1,

I'm aware that you asked for a comparison between two KTM's, but given the fact that you already own a Triumph Sprint that just seating in your garage because you couldn't sell it, am going to throw a Triumph in you comparison.

What don't you trade up to a Triumph Tiger 1050? You will get rid off the sprint and get one hell of a bike instead!

The 1050 triple is one of the most intoxicating engines in the market today, and quite reliable too. Regarding handling and cornering in particular, it's unbelievable and comfortable to boot! :1drink

And regarding creature comforts, it comes with almost all the luxuries of the GS.

So what do you think? :ear

Regards,
    Mane
  17. DiasDePlaya

DiasDePlaya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never rode the SMT because the very first unit will arrive to Chile on January 2010, but I wrote a Tiger review, and looking for information about this great bike I founded that all the magazine tester that compared the Tiger with the SMT wrote that the SMT is the queen of this kind of bikes. Since then I dreaming with the SMT.
  18. jimmydeanh

jimmydeanh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah how come there are no mag tests of the Tiger 1050 vs the SMT? All the rave I read about the SMT reminds me of when the 1050 Tiger came out. But They keep putting the SMT vs a GS or Guzzie......why not a Tiger? They are road biased and are on the Adventure-Sportbike side and yet there has been no comparison. WTF?
  19. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    I am planning to do that exact comparison.

even the buell 1200xt vs 990smt vs 1050tiger would make a potentially good read.
  20. DiasDePlaya

DiasDePlaya Been here awhile

Oddometer: