V Strom aerodynamics versus other bikes

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by SilentRay, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    I would have to go with it being a weight issue. I recently switched from a sportbike to a Wee. Even with the big square bags hanging off in a 30 mph crosswind, the Strom is much less susceptible to the wind than the 400 pound crotch rocket (which gives much less of a side profile to the wind).
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    My V-Strom was dropped 10mm in the front and had a 15 mm longer Wilbers. It was a little better than stock, but that's not what really makes a difference on behavior in cross winds. As Peter mentions above, it's more about you than the bike. If you are not relaxed on the bars, every motion your body makes as a response to the wind buffeting you gets amplified at the handlebars and causes the bike to move as if it had a mind of its own. Bikes with larger windshield tend to isolate their riders from those wind blasts better, which is why it seems like some big touring bikes are not as affected by winds as other bikes.

Every bike will be a little different, depending on geometry, CG, etc.. Obviously, large fairings, windshields and large square boxes for luggage don't really help, but that's more about aerodynamic drag, rather than crosswind behavior.

I rode my V-Strom two-up and loaded across the Isthmus of Tehuantepec. They call that part of Mexico La Ventosa for a good reason. The biggest problem was running across traffic. It's a two lane road, so every time you come across a large truck that blocks the wind you get a huge change in wind load. If you let the bike lean into the wind and find its natural balance point it becomes really easy (OK, that's a relative term :lol3) to ride like that for hours.

Gustavo
  3. ArmyMedic

ArmyMedic Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer:
    I sold my DL1000 for this very reason. Scariest bike ever in crosswinds (and I feel comfortable riding in windy situations). After being blown off the road several times, I said enough and sold the strom. I bought a Uly and it hardly budges in the wind. Absolutely rock solid. Amazing difference.
  4. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    I came off a 1150GSA to a DL1000. Scared the crap out of me initially as it would be so twitchy in cross winds and passing big trucks. Raised the forks about 1/2, added a fork brace, heavier fork springs and a beefier shock. Now rock steady. I run a tank bag, Jesse bags, Aerostich panniers and weigh about 260 wet.
  5. SilentRay

SilentRay Wheres that go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I've been riding for over 30 years, and riding in the wind doesn't usually bother me. But it's that unexpected burst that thrusts you into another lane that does.
  6. SilentRay

Oddometer:
    Can be scary at times for sure. Can understand where the Uly wouldn't be affected as much since it has a lot less plastic up front.

I've got the stabilizer and springs, but still have the tubes flush with the triple. I'll probably go ahead and sacrifice a 1/2" of ground clearance up front and raise the tubes. Wish i could convince myself to spend the big bucks on the beefier shock, but its not in the budget right now...
  7. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    The original question was just about the physical aspects of the bike. That being said, I agree it's mostly the rider that causes problems like lane switching. A rider with a light touch who dances with the wind can hold the lane position of the combined center of mass of the bike and rider. A rider who fights the wind to try and hold the tire contact patch in a particular lane position can have big problems.
  8. davidji

davidji Taylor's Version

Oddometer:
    The Strom has a reputation for being especially sensitive to crosswinds. I've seen people talking about fixing it with a fairing mod though.
  9. SilentRay

Oddometer:
    I never mentioned trying to fight the wind. Make adjustments.

A rider who isn't totally familiar with his or her bikes traits/quirks, could wind up, at the very least, in a ditch wondering, wtf just happened.
  10. SilentRay

Oddometer:
    that some Strom riders log big miles on theirs and have never experienced how sensitive they are to certain air streams and wind gusts. Yet others have only had the bike a short amount of time and noticed it. :dunno

Thanks All

:ricky
  11. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    No mere coincidence that the DL1000 had 5th and 6th gears, ecm restricted right from 2002 on, probably some pretty wide eyed factory testers back then as well. The closest the DL ever got to a wind tunnel, was when the door slammed shut in the design studio. :evil

I bought my DL1000K4 new, to tour to the nearby windswept Rockies via the already windy prairies,
    not one of my better choices. :eek1 :lol3

Good to know it's mostly the rider though, I always enjoy hearing that !

996DL
  12. 79SouthJim

79SouthJim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only time I have ever been scared in crosswinds on my wee was here in Cabazon, CA...but to be expected considering where I was. I was literally being blown in to other lanes this day. Crosswinds are probably a problem on most bikes. The buffeting on the Strom is fixable, at least it was for me, but don't think the Madstad alone is enough.

[​IMG]
  13. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say location is a big factor. In the open prairies or the rockies clearly the wind is a big factor, I would consider a fork brace from Richland Rick.

Living in the Northeast I have only experienced REAL windy days during the winter, and I usually just stay in :D

Of course, you can just drop it down a gear or two and rev the engine higher to make it more stable.

Otherwise I would say that IMHO it is the design of the bike that makes it so flickable for the rider also makes it flickable for the mighty wind:deal
  14. SilentRay

Oddometer:
    "The closest the DL ever got to a wind tunnel, was when the door slammed shut in the design studio. :evil"

You got that right.:lol3

"Good to know it's mostly the rider though"

You got that wrong.:lol3
  15. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    And Roger DeCoster could make a TM400 look good, but it really wasn't.

996DL
  16. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    As others have mentioned, raising the forks/lowering the front of the bike about half an inch can make a huge difference in cross winds. I have ridden in cross winds over 50 mph with no issues. Just keep a relaxed hold on the bike and bars and the bike will naturally adjust to the wind. If you give it a death grip then you will be figihting the bike and wind.

A fork brace ($$$) helps as well (and I got one later after raising the forks,) but a very minor amount compare to the (Free!!!!) raising of the forks.

..Tom
  17. X-Ray

X-Ray Over Radiated

Oddometer:
    I love my Wee, but in crosswinds it scares the shit out of me. That's the only reason I'm considering selling it and getting another bike. I rode a friend's FJR in windy conditions years ago and it handled crosswinds much better.

The Wee is a fantastic bike in no wind to breezy conditions but if you run into windy conditions it really sucks ass (even with a fork brace, which I have).
  18. linkweewee

linkweewee momento mori

Oddometer:
    I bought my '07 DL 1000 in N Idaho and rode it home to Eugene about a month ago. Was sheer terror for about 50 miles traveling south when I got near the Columbia River Gorge with the 30+ mph west crosswind that blows through there.
  19. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    I would agree that a tense rider CAN and will affect how wind will affect a motorcycle but the fact is some motorcycles are far more affected by side winds and gusts than others. The DL is one of the latter, though it can be corrected out. My 1150 GSA was rock steady. DL1000 was very skittish in comparison. That being said, the DL was (and is) much faster in corner transitions. The good news is virtually all of the bad tendencies can be eliminated with a few minor changes. My DL is now approaching the GSA in stability but remains faster in corner transition.
  20. MNRon

MNRon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those that post about how a rider is too tense, or some other rider issue just hasn't experienced this issue first hand. I have and it scared the living crap out of me. I've since done several things that have helped, but this bike can be, without a doubt, the scariest thing in cross winds. Some experience, some don't, but it's there.

Oh, been riding for over 40 years on just about anything with two wheels, in almost every weather condition imaginable and I will say that it's not always the rider, but just some friggin dumb luck. :freaky