Dear Honda

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mrbreeze, Aug 30, 2010.

1. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ever looked at Alpinestars or Teknic lately? EVERYTHING is black.
  2. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    so I went over to the local Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha dealership today. Absoultely nothing on the floor that is of interest to me. Some 2009's left over with fire sale prices on them. If you need an Ninja 250 or EX500, speak up and I will tell you where to find them.

Anyway, I told them 3 o4 4 times I would really like to see the CBF1000 come to the US of A. I don't think they even know what it is. :cry
  3. Bubba Satori

Bubba Satori Finding my way home

Oddometer:
    +1
  4. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was a hard core Honda guy all my life. I've owned a '74 CB750, '82 V45 Magna, '82 V45 Sabre, '86 V65 Magna, '93 ST1100, '96 ST1100, '03 ST1300A. After 14 years of sport-tourers I wanted something different. I started looking at Dual-Sports, but none that were available really moved me, and the ones that did (from Honda) were only available in Europe. On a lark I rode a BMW R1200GSA and loved it. Dropped $20k on it and have never looked back. Honda has stopped the innovation that drew me to them in the first place. If Sochiro Honda were alive today I might still be riding brand H, but BMW has started innovating and invigorating their lineup to draw newer, younger riders into the fold (S1000RR for example). Maybe one day I will own another Honda. But any new Honda I buy will have to stand above the crowd and make me WANT to buy it, not just hope I am such a loyal customer (Harley) that I'll buy it whether it fills my need or not.
  5. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    If you do bring us some Soul stirring models to choose from, please don't price them $2,000 Bucks over the price of your competition and then wonder WHY your Bikes aren't moving all that fast.
    Having owned a Honda in the past and dealt with your electrical nightmares = You can't fool ME into thinking your product is "better" in regards to quality.
    F.W.I.W. I'd be more than happy to buy a new CB-1 400 with modern components.:1drink

Ps. I still have nightmares about your V-Twin, plastic covered butt-plug you called the PC-800.
  6. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    I've looked at Alpinestars gear over the years. Even in black, there's that juvenile logo. Plus, they tend to add unnecessary design flourishes, pieces, complexities. Teknic seems to be much the same as Alpinestars. Neither is as shibumi as I desire.
  7. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Honda are beginning to see anything over 150cc as a 'fun' motorcycle, and fun motorcycles aren't selling.

They are making most of their yen in S America and Asia, where they are the 'premium' commuter-maker and sheer volume has kept them afloat.

The future is in Lahore and Rio, for Honda.

(that said, the CBF1000 is a great motorcycle)
  8. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thank you for my 07 CBR600RR. It's the dirtiest motorcycle I've ever owned. Comfortable, smooth ass engine, stops fast and, handles like it's gone completely out of style. Doesn't sound half bad either.

Thanks not so much for the tinkering my 06 VFR seems to need on a regular basis. But I think we've got most things sorted out.
  9. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Honda may not be selling the CB-1 anymore but there always seems to be one or two for sale.
    Here is mine with modern components and a bit more power....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590493
  10. Infallible

Infallible Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer:
    I agree with this. Please Honda bring us this bike!
  11. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    the CB1 is the only Bike of mine I regret selling :cry
  12. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kai Ju,

Can you provide any more info on your CB-1? How much fabrication was required for the engine swap, and what front end did you use? Did you modify the swing arm to use a wider rear wheel / tire?

Very cool - I missed your first thread!
  13. El Guero

El Guero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whatever floats your boat dude. I think you guys are in the minority when you want uninteresting riding gear. Most people ride motorcycle because they are fun and the gear reflects it.
  14. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Dear honda: bring the stuff you make for the rest of the world.
  15. Crow

Crow Corvid

Oddometer:
    Simple + elegant + performing the intended function exceptionally well = interesting.
  16. Offblnz

Offblnz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do have a love for Furygan's products and I agree with you wholehartedly. I do like the new Alpinestars GoreTex leather suit, but they also build it to be mostly sold in EU since nobody (relatively speaking) rides in the rain over here and the market is simply too small for a $2500 safety device.
  17. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    Glad you like the bike.
    Don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already did, so you have mail.
  18. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    While I can respect your mechanical abilities and definitely the end results...There's something about a high winding 400CC inline 4 screaming motor that really appeals to me. (I was also a BIG FAN of Suzukis 400CC Bandit)

Admittedly, over the years I became a Suzuki fan (mostly due to their DR350 and DR650 D.S. Bikes) and have to admit, a "Dear Suzuki" letter thread is also in order.
    Between Cruisers and Sportbikes, no one is making a nice high winding 400CC naked bike anymore.
    I guess 400's simply pull my strings since I learned on a 78 Honda 400 parallell twin Hawk. (yeah, I know = nothing like a CB-1 or Bandit):cry
  19. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha makes the XJR400 and Honda makes the CB400 Bol d'Or.

As mentioned in other threads, tiered licensing drives sales of smaller displacement bikes. The manufacturers don't believe that 400 cc motorcycles will sell well here in the US. I love 400's, too. But I don't think that there are enough of us to make the manufacturers wrong with today's laws.
  20. Kai Ju

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely right, there is nothing like a small displacement screamer.
    In my defense, I inherited this project and wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth. And with an HRC ECM it actually revs higher than the 400 did.
    When I did a few dyno runs to see what I had in my right hand I brought the CB-1 ECM along. The HRC ECM allowed the engine to rev to 13500 while the CB-1 ECM only allowed 13000.

The era that you speak of, with the high revving screamers, I spent on an RD400 that was set up for super stock racing with WERA. Lot's of fun on the street. That's one of the bikes I wish I still had.

Honda sells so many different small displacement bikes to the rest of the world that we won't see until there is tiered licensing. Problem with that is that it will stop the posers from buying bikes and completely kill the US market.