F800GS unstable at higher speeds

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Baiazid, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    I don't buy it's the tire myself,I was just repeating what others claimed to experience earlier. I have TKC's and they have never been balanced either, my rear shock is a Wilber's that is very dialed and I'm currently running Hyperpro Springs and have never had any of the aforementioned issues. The rear shock made the biggest difference since it would tend to ride wide on turns at high speeds and now the bike responds to my input much better. One thing that really helped that were larger foot pegs.
  2. Koby

Koby Rennfahrer

Oddometer:
    Exactly.... F800GS is naturally light in the front and at speed 100mph plus it just gets worse and worse with more speed.

things that helped me.

- Shift luggage/gear to front
    - Shift your weight front as much as possible
    - Set rear shock stiffer
    - Steering damper pretty much removes the "head shake" at speed

it is not pleasant here where it is fine to ride the higher speeds the F800GS can do 100-125mph for long periods on the autobahn and the bikes front end is shaky.
  3. Baiazid

Baiazid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Problem is that using pireli scorpion I could do 130-150kmph with no indication of trouble and now with k60 I am limited to legal speed (ironic isn't it?):evil
  4. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice smooth high speed tires do not create very much suspension chatter. Even a K60 produces a lot of up/down because it isn't completely even steven. For me I tend to work on front end resolution for front end problems and rear for the rear. If you do not have an adjustable front by all means play with what you got. I dropped my front forks 7mm and adjusted my front preload which resolved a lot of the issues with the front but I will not go above 80MPH unless I am passing someone because it still is a little squirrely with TKCs.
  5. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have topped out my bike a few times and agree that the front end is extra light.
    That said it makes it much easier to ride off road with a light front end.
    I use the Ralle - Moto steering stabilizer and it works very well to stabilize the bike at high speed.
    I use Anakees when going that fast. I don't go over 75 mph on dual sport tires as a general rule.
    Try a stabilizer.

http://www.rallemoto.com/contents/en-us/d30.html
  6. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I missed it ...
    Is dropping the front fork tubes in the triple tree by (say) 10mm a potential solution?
  7. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    I experienced a huge difference between riding in my supermoto leathers or just allround gear with a loose jacket. Withe the leathers I can go up to top speed, with the loose jacket flapping in the wind the weaving starts at approx. 155 km/p/h. As soon as I let the bar loose or hold it with just one hand the weaving stops.

8 out of 10 front end wobbles/weaves/shimmy/etc come from the rear... :1drink
  8. Angryrican

Angryrican Beer lover

Oddometer:
    Pretty funny, I don't think most people understand how much the rider himself affects the handling of the bike. Position, size, gear etc.
    Also incorrect rear suspension setup as mentioned before, i.e. incorrect damping and sag can really affect handling especially on a bike with a light front end to begin with.
    Last I'd say tire pressure is a huge component also.
  9. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets not forget the width of our bars. We have so much leverage that often times at high speed I prefer to ride with throttle hand only. There is a reason sport bikes have clip ons for less leverage at thigh speeds.
  10. Steveman

Oddometer:
    Yep, sometimes its a combination of two or more factors leading to instability.
  11. Baiazid

Baiazid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tested with extra weight on the back: my wife (56Kg).

I could go 120kmph with no trouble this time! Must be suspension + tires combo
  12. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    F800GS unstable at higher speeds... cannot figure out the problem... increase life insurance on wife, then put her on the back to test it out :rofl
  13. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How did it ride 2 up on the gs never done that before yet? So has anyone dialed in the suspension what are. u setting the rear at
  14. F800ekelley

F800ekelley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry what settings are you taking on the stock rear shock
  15. Steveman

Oddometer:
    Mhh..... that means more dynamic sag on the rear creates less wobbles. Are u using original rear shock/spring or did u change it?

Regards Steve
  16. Baiazid

Baiazid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

all is original
  17. Baiazid

Baiazid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am a n00b in suspension settings. Only worked on big knob to preload when I add extra weight
  18. TFB43

TFB43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If your triple clamps are not torqued it can cause the bike to be unstable. I had this issue and after the bolts were torqued down it went away.
  19. runnin4melife

Oddometer:
    :huh If the triple clamps are loose, yeah the bike is unstable... are you talking about your steering head? handlebar mount or where your triple clamps hold your forks. Many bolts on these, all of which are integral.
  20. Steveman

Oddometer:
    Mh... I am baffled. I am sure it comes from the rear but dunno why...... :evil