Clayton Dual Sport Ride

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Knubsy2, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Knubsy2

Knubsy2 Knubsy2

Oddometer:
    Anybody going to the 13th annual Clayton Lake (Oklahoma) Dual Sport Ride this year? According to the event calendar at RideOK it will be on the first weekend of October, not the third as in the past. I've already got a room at the Clayton Country Inn (wife does NOT camp) for Oct. 3-5. Missed the last three and cannot wait til October!!! :jive
  2. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, being the earler weekend might make it work for me. In the past it has always been on my kids fall break... and we take the kids traveling somewhere...

I'm going to keep my eye on it for sure, i have always wanted to go.

Ride OK Calendar Link
  3. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in this ride. Are therey any RV campgrounds close to Clayton? My Toyhauler is 43' long and last time I was at Clayton, getting my rig in any of the slots was iffy at best.
    Thanks in advance.
  4. Knubsy2

Knubsy2 Knubsy2

Oddometer:
    Hi Woodzy! The Clayton Country Inn is about three miles north of the Clayton State Park and has easy access RV parking in the back area. When we've stayed there in the past we always saw horse riders and "rock crawlers" staying there. It would be a good place to park an RV and a short ride to the park where we meet to ride for the day. The phone #918 569 4165. Hope to see ya there.
  5. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Knubsy. I'm going to call about it in the next few days!
    Wherebouts are you in Choctaw?
  6. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    With it being earlier this year, I just might be able to make it :ricky
  7. Z50Started-it

Z50Started-it Mini Trail Supporter

Oddometer:
    I attended two years ago, it was a great time - missed last year. For those of us not attending the TTPC Mexico adventure, this would be a good fall trip.
  8. Newner

Newner Buffering

Oddometer:
    :kumbaya Always a good time. I hope I can make it.
  9. Hack'dTiger

Hack'dTiger Ride more. Worry Less.

Oddometer:
    Is there any additional info on this? I'm only 1.5hrs away, and love the area. Camp location(s), route(s),...? Searched but came up empty. :ear
  10. durtrider

durtrider adventure sow

Oddometer:
    Tiger this is a really loose, laid back and unorganized ride and a ton of fun. I've been every year except maybe the first couple. Most of the riding is more off-road trails and fire roads.

James Pratt (Webmaster of RideOK, Owner of Adventurerider Magazine) started this ride, and he keeps it pretty informal. Riders converge every morning at the lower campground at Clayton State Park. Some tent camp, some bring motorhomes and trailers, and some stay at the local motels or Clayton Country Inn, just down the road.

Each morning groups will get together near the pavillion, figure out who they're riding with, then head out for the day. You need to be sure you can fix a flat on the trail or have someone with you that can. There are lunch and gas stops (if you know where) and some really cool places to go.

You can ask around for a group that matches your skill level as there will be fast guys, slow guys, pure dual sport riders, guys riding with their wifes and guys riding in small groups. You don't really need to be tagged, but it is handy. The trails are rocky, and sometimes the water crossings can be deep. ATGATT for sure as the rocks usually claim a victim. Most definitely wear elbow and knee pads. And you'll have to buy a land use permit at the local store.

Then at night everyone gathers around the fire(s) and lies about how fast they used to be. Saturday night James usually hosts a Bar-b-Que for like..$10 bucks. Its a hoot!

I'll be there for sure. We already have rooms at the Clayton Country Inn. I think we'll get there sometime Thursday night.
  11. nnichols

nnichols Slave to the Machine

Oddometer:
    Coincides with my daughter's birthday, so I doubt I'll be able to make it, but I'm curious as to whether all the Weyerhaeuser land (k trail, etc) is still open for riding.

Last time I was there there was talk of that being shut off.
  12. durtrider

durtrider adventure sow

Oddometer:
    Mostly by hunting leases. There has been talk of shutting the area down for as long as I can remember. If you have a land use permit, you can go anywhere that isn't posted or gated. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of trails. I've been riding there for almost 20 years and still don't know my way around.
    Watch for "purple paint" on the trees as you are riding. If you see paint splashes on the trees on both sides of the trail it delineates a private property boundary. Even if there isn't a gate, I generally turn around when I see this instead of running the risk of confronting a local.
  13. Hack'dTiger

Hack'dTiger Ride more. Worry Less.

Oddometer:
    DR bud and I camped and scouted the area earlier this spring. We roamed around from Clayton, to Nashoba, Talihina, and the likes over a long weekend. Camped south of Nashoba.

Lots of gates were found, unfortunately, but I marked them all. Most of them were on the southwest section of where K hits hwy 271/Hurd Creek Trail. Once we found Clayton Trail though, and hit the K, it was open all the way to Indian Highway. Only found a couple of areas that were marked, but no gates.
  14. dallasdrz

dallasdrz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Whitey, looks like a new horse in your stable!
  15. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah-He's a member of the starbucks club now......:lol3:lol3
  16. BPrince

BPrince Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  17. durtrider

durtrider adventure sow

Oddometer:
    Hi DallasDRZ! Are you coming to Clayton this year?

I'd reply with a witty answer to you woodsy but I can't. I'm a pretentious BMW snob now... One that still bleeds orange?
  18. dallasdrz

dallasdrz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    See ya there!
  19. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoping to make it this year. I'm overdue for a camp out.:kumbaya
  20. eng42

eng42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody got a more specific location, like where you buy the permit, or where the campground is? The "map" link on the Ride Oklahoma takes you to Clayton Plumbing in Kingfisher, OK. A fine place, no doubt, but probably a little far from the trails.