2013 F800GS and F700GS merged threadfest

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by The Jinx, Jul 2, 2012.

1. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    Unless it will be a 2013 Husky!!

:evil

Ryan
  2. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Lots of changes are better than BNG!
  3. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It very well may, when I noticed the higher RPM where the power was being made.
  4. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have it on high authority (I read it on the Internet:rofl) the bike is not coming to the US.

My BMW/Triumph/Husqvarna dealer should know, if he went to the BMW dealers meeting last month.
  5. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good improvement for the old 650...... Silly crap for the 800......imho.
  6. sebastianp

sebastianp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The updates are far more interesting to someone who was waiting to see what was going to happen to the F650GS rather than the F800GS.

Now, let's see what happens with the K1600R.
  7. HappyHighwayman

HappyHighwayman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm only a little disappointed because traction control was something I would have liked to have had on the F800GS. And the ESA would probably be neat too...just spent a few hundred upgrading the fork springs.
  8. petzi-baer

petzi-baer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you just bought a 2012 ...

I wouldn't too much about those "upgrades". ESA might cost you a pretty penny :-).

petzi-baer
  9. nomad5326

nomad5326 Xventurous

Oddometer:
    I question the idiot naming/marketing branding on BMW's part. Just make all bikes GS and GS Adventure. It would have covered the

F650GS/Dakar and now G/Sertao - F650GS and GSA
    The new F650GS/F800GS - F800GS and GSA
    R1200GS/GSA

How hard is it? Geez! They did it correctly with the R1200GS...
  10. docsherlock

docsherlock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just out of interest, what makes you think you know better than an international company with a large marketing department? Their marketing obviously works and just because it doesn't suit you, you slag it off.

It ain't all about you, ya know.....
  11. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    Anybody that has a 650 twin knows how much of a PITA it is to try to explain to everybody that it is actually an 800....

And they realized it, the confusion between the old 650 and the new one, then renaming the old one.... etc, etc

Now they are trying to fix it... It is sure better this way then trying to name a new bike the same as a different model...

Ryan
  12. sebastianp

sebastianp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's fantastic that the F700GS and the F800GS are now built on the common platform. Shared parts, shared farkles, shared problems, shared solutions.

Don't understand why there would be an engine discrepancy nowadays, though.

Anyone got a shot of the new clocks?
  13. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a lot that agree with him.

So pray tell, other than name, what's the difference between the old Dakar 650 and the new Sertao?

How many F650s are there?

When is a 650 not a 650? When it's revamped as a 700 that is actually an 800?

Stop the insanity. Lets call apples apples.

The only reason they sell bikes at all is because they are reasonably good and expensive enough to make them elitist.

If it cost more than your neighbours, it must be good...right? Nothing quite says "in your face you poor-ass blue collar slob", than turning up to the cafe on a sunny Sunday mounted on your BMW when your neighbour has shown up on his KLR650.

That sells them more bikes than marketing, advertising, and actually having decent bikes ever could. Unfortunately.

Even my local BMW dealer admits this. It's like the Harley crowd selling the "lifestyle". Selling dreams to cashed up wannabe "Easy Riders" and "Rebels without a clue".

BMW sells bikes to cashed up wannabe "Ewan and Charlies". I fell for it. I'll admit it. The hype got me.

But I really wish they'd get the naming thing sorted. I get sick of explaining it to curious people.
  14. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Is that an optical illusion or is the loop, for the front brake lines, a fair bit higher than the previous model year? Perhaps somewhat addressing the few cases where the lower loop grabbed knobbies when the front fender issue came up? Not as good as two individual, but if that front arch really is higher, that would be progress.

It will be great to hear what issues have or have not been addressed to improve a good bike. I'm sure there were changes that were quietly done that were not published in the advertising literature. A part number change might be the only way to determine those. Always fun to see what a manufacturer deems worthy of change when they roll out a model update.
  15. 3Rrr

3Rrr Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer:
    So, is the 2013 F700GS going to be known as the F708GS? :rofl

Or, should we just call it for what it is ... F798GS?
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only reason I bought my 2010 8GS is because the BMW dealer were the only mc dealer that would take in a car in a bike trade......:evil.... I have since fallen in love with the bike....even after all the stalling.....road side assistance....etc. Their marketing dept. are still idiots......imho...:rofl This would have been a perfect time to put the parts on the 8GS that it really needed to measure up.....specially with the competition heating up. Same battle has been/is going on in the long travel 29'er fork mountain bike world. If you don't spike your product and stay in the front..... many will go elsewhere, and you will loose market share..... I believe BMW will gain some in the 650gs.....ehhhhhhh ummmm....700.....but loose some lurkers in the 800gs to the competition. Go figure....maybe I'm the idiot, and missing the big picture.....
  17. HappyHighwayman

HappyHighwayman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a good question, is the MSRP going to be significantly higher on these? I have to image ESA and traction control aren't free.
  18. bobobob

bobobob IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Oddometer:
    Nice upgrades and options for the F700GS except...

Fuel capacity reduced from 18l to 16l. :dog:kboom:fall:baldy:boid:nono:hair
    Oh well, slap an adventure gas tank on the rack for an extra 1.5 gallons
    or go all the way and put a tour tank on the pillon for another 3.5 gallons.

Anybody heard when the US will get these?
    The Russian mafia is after me and I need to get out of town soon.
  19. bobobob

bobobob IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Oddometer:
    As hard as designing fuels strips apparently. :lol3
  20. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Wholeheartedly agree! :1drink

[​IMG]