What do you love about scooters /scootering?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Domromer, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Like the title says....
  2. MiniBike

MiniBike Still here...

Oddometer:
    The simplicity and more relaxed pace.

Surprised myself, but it reminds me of riding during my teenage years.
  3. MODNROD

MODNROD Pawn of Petty Tyrants

Oddometer:
    Me and 1/2doz of my drag mates racing each off the traffic lights in a blue haze..........at slightly faster than jogging pace! :lol3
  4. Robert^

Robert^ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Super fast turns and dry feet and groceries.
  5. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    I went a year with just my scooter and no motorcycle. When I finally bought another motorcycle I realized how much i like an automatic transmission.:eek1
  6. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always have a scooter in my garage, and only sometimes have a motorcycle in my stable.

Scooters are just "more fun" to me....quirky, great storage, kind of the underdog of the PTW world, and they always seem to amaze people on "proper" motorcycles when they see me riding my scooter through Death Valley, or Sitgreaves Pass outside Oatman or some other outlying area. Yes, I ride mine whereever I want. My wife rides hers too.

Scooters are a siimple pleasure....but still viable transportation.
  7. csisfun

csisfun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The scooter is my primary form of transportation. I really like having a trunkette and a grocery hook in front, which is great for random shopping.
  8. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quiet, low center of gravity, step through and weather protection.
  9. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    The reason I ask is I've had motorcycle for many years now. But in the past year I picked up a scooter. I really like it and I'm struggling to figure out why I like it so much. It's slower than my motorcycle, it sucks on rough pavement, it's not cool or adventurous looking like a Vstrom. But I really like it. Maybe it reminds me of my youth. My first motorized transportation was a yamaha razz. I rode the damn thing all over oahu for 2 years. All I did was put gas in it and check that it had enough two stroke oil every so often. It was slow and beaten down but to me it was perfect. I could put my backpack in the basket and go wherever I wanted. Maybe this bike reminds me of this time. I didn't worry about farkles, or performance, or the must do mods. I just jumped on twisted the throttle and I was gone.
  10. Kennon

Kennon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i love the convenience just twist and go no need to think about things and they are just so much fun at slower speeds in my ideal garage i would have a scooter and a motorcycle but due to having to ride long distances i prefer to be on a motorbike for the time being until i can have another scooter in the grage again.
  11. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am always amazed at the number of people who approach me on my Burgman in parking lots and ask questions about it .
    They all seem to want to ride, and are not as intimidated by it as if i were on a more proper motorcycle. Many of them are older fellows who still have the look in their eyes.
    Have had some interesting conversations with some grey beard HD riders , who I think are trying to come to grips with their own manhood and perhaps mortality :rofl
  12. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scooters - Simplicity, practicality and fun factor. Cheap to keep and maintain. Great for short errands and ease of finding
    and fitting into tight parking spaces. Just twist and go!!!

Maxi-scooters - Having a bit more giddyup and go when you want/need to get somewhere as quick as a regular motorcycle.

Scootering - Going at a pace so as to be able to notice and enjoy the scenery while riding and at the same time not costing
    an arm and a leg to do so. Camaraderie and enjoying adventure with like minded folks. No need for posturing, posing or big
    inflated egos. (Though I will admit to feeling a bit smug when cage drivers looked upon me and my scooter with envy at
    those times when they were feeling the sting of higher gas prices and complaining about it.)
  13. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My little run into the Gold Country this morning is an example of what I love about scooters:

Plymouth, CA-Main Street
    [​IMG]

Plymouth-fall colors
    [​IMG]

Shenandoah Valley, east of Plymouth
    [​IMG]

Mt Aukum Road at D'Agostini Reservoir
    [​IMG]

Same-same
    [​IMG]

I like the way the BV responds to me and the road. I like the way it handles and how it's simple and easy to ride and that I don't have to worry about whether I picked the right gear for the curve. I like that I don't have 800 pounds of pig iron to wrestle with. I like that I can store stuff relatively securely on the machine. I like that it has good power for its displacement and that it goes as fast as I want to go without straining or sounding like it's going to fall apart. I like that the Goldwing rider I met at Starbuck's in Placerville was curious about the bike and about why I chose it and respected me for doing so. I like that the cage driver at the Starbuck's in Folsom was not intimidated or put off by me and my machine and that he wanted to know all about it.

And this was just a four hour jaunt, with no particular place to go...:wings

Kind of difficult to put it in words, but trust me, it's good stuff to be on a scooter on a 70 degree day the day after Thanksgiving motating quickly down a twisty backroad somewhere...
  14. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like it because it fits who I am. When I first looked at getting into bikes, here is what went through my head: Get a cruiser. Nope, not my "image" and you don't see many cruiser riders with full face helmets and hi viz jackets. So get a small sports bike. Definitely not me: flashy, showy, zoom zoom. And on and on and on. Enter the scooter. Practical, quirky but cool in my book, way more simplified than a motorcycle. Plus I think it makes more sense cruising the neighborhoods exploring the suburban jungle. Heck, I feel I've just been given keys to a whole new world.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
  15. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread. Lots of cool responses.
  16. Pilgrim21784

Pilgrim21784 Pilgrim21784

Oddometer:
    Mashed up ankle from Viet Nam, didn't leave me a lot of choices. Foot shifting more than a few times was not fun. Scooters (or autos, owned a Honda VFR DCT) gave me a way to enjoy two wheels and the freedom of the ride.

Plus, on my Silverwing, VFR or TMAX, it was kind of fun to leave the Harleys at the stoplight. They make a lot of noise but don't cut it for acceleration. :D
  17. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    Words like friendly, nimble, useful, practical describe the scooter. It makes everyday life fun. I don't have to ride hundreds of miles to get to the' really good stuff ' to feel like it's worthwhile, like on my big bikes. I also don't have to spend effort and enjoyment compensating for excessive power or bulk.

Small bikes have always been fun but they were also cramped, uncomfortable and demanding. When I was 16 that was cool and definately part of the fun. Now at age 60 not so much. The scooter has much of the room and comfort of big bikes and much of the fun of small bikes without the shortcomings.

I can just get on and ride and enjoy the capabilities of the machine without aggravation. Other drivers are also less aggressive which is a big plus and people in general are more friendly. It's all the chocolate goodness, with none of the chocolate mess. LOL
  18. max57

max57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I find that scooters follow the 80%/20% rule. For 20% of the cost and trouble I get 80% of the reward. There is also the elegance of a faired 2 wheeler that is narrow. A floor to shift my feet around. A spare mounted tire on the back and interchangeable wheels. 80 mpg. I can repair it by the side of the road. Room to carry stuff. Really fun to drive. It just goes and goes. Easy to manage. I really think the best riding is under 60 mph.:clap
  19. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another thing I like about my Maxi is that my wife has asked to go along again .

We have ridden thousands of miles together in the past , but then she just sort of started staying at home. I don't think she wants to tour any longer , but day trips are going to be more fun again. Plus she now has a place to store stuff she want to buy on those trips more easily.
    Took her out for an hour yesterday in the brisk air , she enjoyed it :D
  20. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I also like scoots because they allowed my wife to drive a 600cc bike. I was riding around one day and my wife came out to tell me dinner was ready. I had to park the bike in the garage and she needed to get something. So for some reason I told her to hop on the bike, I had her sit in front. She put her hands on the bar while we drove over. I said grab the throttle, so she started giving the bike some gas and steering. Ten minutes later I've scooted to the back seat and she's driving around our neighborhood with me on the back. My wife is tiny at 4'11 so when we came to a stop in had to put my feet down. She really enjoyed herself. Now she wants a scooter so I'm on a quest to find a bike that will let her get both feet on the ground. She had a razz many years ago but I don't think she'd enjoy keeping up with the Silverwing on the little razz. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a helix. I'm hoping she will be able to touch the ground with super low seat the helix is known for. So scooters at least made the idea possible of my wife riding again there is no way she could have hopped on the Vstrom to try it out.