LS2 Helmet review: All day comfortable modular helmet with retractable sun visor

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by GB, Jun 10, 2013.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    My first experience with modular helmets was with the first Schuberth Concept helmet. I could finally talk to my riding buddies when I'm stopped without having to yell to be understood, thanks to the opening chin bar. The retractable sun visor was also a great feature, not having to mess around with sunglasses and endure some of the pain of the glasses' arms pressing against my temple.. It was also a very comfortable day long helmet. Five years later, I replaced it with the Schuberth C2 which was also a very comfortable helmet..

Schuberth Concept and Concept 2

[​IMG]

.Another five years pass and I replaced with the $700 Schuberth C3, a much lighter helmet with the same great features, plus a fog free Pinlock visor. Unfortunately, I couldn't get comfortable in that helmet, after a couple of hours, I had to remove it to relieve the pressure. All the above helmets were the exact same size; 58-59 cm (Large) Thus began my search for a comfortable modular day long helmet, with retractable sun shade, Pinlock visor, and a ratchet type buckle.

Here's a brief synopsis of my Tour de Helmets:

[​IMG]

BMW System 6: (second from right) Essentially similar but not identical to the Schuberth C3. I wore in the store for 1.5 hours. It was comfortable. I made the mistake of leaving the chin bar open during that time... with the chin bar closed, 30 minutes and the pain set in.. that was a costly mistake. It's a helmet I only wear on my short daily commute to work.

Shoei Multitec: A good friend gave it to me because he couldn't get comfortable in it, even though he's been a long time Shoei head. It was essentially brand new. It was very comfortable, but I had to carry a clear visor with me at all times in case I was riding past dusk. And the only time I ever rode at night wearing that helmet, I didn't have the clear shield with me... doh! A Pinlock visor and Pinlock insert must be purchased separately. The Multitec has D ring buckles, not a big deal, but I prefer the quicker to latch and unlatch ratchet type buckles. The Multitec has been replaced with the Neotec wihch I haven't tried.

Scorpion: I purchased this helmet for my son when we were going on a weeklong 2 up ride. I tried it found it to be moderately comforable. No pressure points in the helmet, but it felt heavy. It does not have a Pinlock visor and uses D ring buckles.

Nolan 104: Pinlock visor, retractable sun shade, ratchet style buckle. Helmet is comforable but the strap presses against my jaw bone. I found myself slipping my finger between the strap and my jaw just to relieve the pressure.

LS2 helmet: A DOT / ECE approved modular helmet with retractable sun shade and a Pinlock ready visor. When I acquired this helmet, the pinlock insert was not yet available, but was coming. It has a retractable sun visor that's spring loaded, so it's either up, or down. The latch is centrally mounted on the chin bar, and easy to operate with one hand. There are vents just below the visor and on the top of the helmet. The uppper vent has a 2 position opening and ventilation is good. The helmet liner does not seem to be removable, but I wear a CoolMax head liner on all my helmets, so I've never had to remove a liner from the helmet. On my head, the weight felt fine, no issues with lower neck pain from the weight of the helmet. Having completed my Tour de Helmets, I have settled on the LS2 as the only helmet I can wear all day without any discomfort issues and all this for $180??!!! Some might be skeptical that a $180 helmet can be any good, I'm sold on it.

As far as wind noise, I have not had any issues with any of these helmets because I use an MRA X-Screen with flips the wind over my head, so I ride in a fairly quite buffeting free zone, plus I wear -33db ear plugs.

I have fitted a Sena communicator and will be using the LS2 as my long distance all day riding helmet!

LS2 FF386 HiViz Modular helmet, front and rear:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 position top vent:
    [​IMG]

Chin bar vent open:
    [​IMG]

Easy to remove face shield, just slide the red tab forward on both sides, easy off, easy on:
    [​IMG]

Sun visor, it's either up or down, no in between, seems to be spring loaded to retract quickly at the push of a button.

[​IMG]

Push red tab up to deploy visor:

[​IMG]

Push black tab to close it:

[​IMG]

Quick release ratcheting helmet chin strap:
    [​IMG]

If you're on a budget and can't afford a $500 or $700 helmet, the LS2 modular helmet may just be the helmet that will suit your needs. :thumb

Their website is HERE

Ride Safe :ricky
  2. The Motorcycle Thing

The Motorcycle Thing TMT

Oddometer:
    Nice post GB!

My girlfriend have actually just got back from trying on a few helmets and we particularly likeed the Shark Evoline 3.

Really nice to be able to tuck the chin bar snugly at the back, and use as an open face helmet. The only problem is that it might prove a bit fiddly with gloves.

I'd like to have a look at the LS2 as well after your post.

Cheers,

Joel
  3. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Great review GB. I've a Nolan 102 and the Scorpion. I'll take a look at the LS2.
  4. GB

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if a Pinlock insert is now available, but what I did was I applied an InVision anti-fog insert, which works just as well as a pinlock.

$20, universal fit:

http://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/HYPER_SHIELD_p/inhpucpac.htm

Oh, and with gloves on, it's still easy to operate the sunshield and opening the chin bar.
  5. Phil_Ammendolia

Phil_Ammendolia The Game Has Changed.

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

To be fair I have to note that I'm the VP of Sales for LS2 Helmets.

GB, thanks for such a great write up. I'm really glad to hear that you're happy with the performance of your helmet.

I thought I would address a couple of things mentioned in your post.

PINLOCK: The Pinlock inserts are not yet available. We are expecting them about mid-July of this year. The 386 is currently the only model that will accept Pinlock lenses at this time.

REMOVABLE LINER: The liner actually is removable. I'll try to shoot a video and show how it's done soon, and I'll keep you posted.

FIT: One other thing I wanted to mention is the fit. The FF386 has an OVAL shape. LS2 has other models that are long oval. Deciding on which shape head you have is really a matter of just getting someone to look at the shape of your head from the top, making a good guess and then trying different shaped helmets on. You'll see people that for sure have a round skull, others are very oval, and still others have skulls that are slightly longer and slimmer (Long Oval). Often people with a round head are comfortable in an oval fit helmet, but not always. We don't make a specific model in a round shape. There will be times when I've heard people say that a given brand's helmets don't fit. It would be more correct to say that brand doesn't fit their head shape.

Currently, our oval line up consists of our FF386 modular, FF385 and FF387 Full Face, and our OF569, which is an open face helmet with an adjustable face shield and a built-in sun shield, just like the 386.

All other models in our lineup are long oval.

I hope this is useful info and let me know if I missed anything or can answer any other questions.

Thanks!
  6. Phil_Ammendolia

Oddometer:
  7. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review! How's the LS2 helmet in the rain? Does it leak?

I'm looking at getting a helmet for the occasional ride with my passenger and this one has all the right features at the right price. :lurk
  8. zeeede

zeeede Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review I was looking to replace my Nolan N103 that is getting long in the tooth with the N90 but it doesn't come in any Hi Viz colors. This sounds nice and it is around what the N90 is selling for. How is the sizing? I wear a medium Nolan N103 right now and I used to wear a small Shoei. 56 cm.
  10. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone comment on noise on a naked bike. I wear ear plugs so I'm more concerned with buzzes and vibrations.

Cheers
    Brett
  11. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I ordered one and it showed up yesterday and used it going to work today.
    First impressions are really good, I say it is as well made as my Nolan N103 very nice finish, does not look like a $179 helmet, seems to fit my noggin real well,oval head ,small went by there guide, very comfortable, the drop down dark shield works fine could be a shade darker, one thing I do not like is you can't crack the shield it opens to about an inch and I always ride with my Nolan just crack a little having said that the chin vent moves a good amount of air. The other thing is it is loud about the same as the Nolan most of the noise is from the left side if I put my hand over the left edge the wind noise goes away, I wear ear plugs most of the time so not a big issue also this in is on my Uly with a wind deflector (for got the brand) Which puts the air right under my chin. When in the up position and locked it takes two hands for me to close it kind of hard to on the fly, hopefully it will loosen up.
    I bought it from motorcyclecenter.com ended up costing $170 with free shipping, got a 10% discount for signing up to there email letter.
    So like I said first impressions are good see if it holds up as well as my Nolan did for 7 years.
    Oh it comes with a real nice cloth storage bag.
    It is made in China which is a negative for me, oh well kind of the ways things are.
  12. MK96xj

MK96xj 100% Seat Time

Oddometer:
    Nice review and cool to see LS2 stepping in with a video.

I just started carrying LS2 in my store and have been very impressed with the form fit and function of them

Michael at KinderRider Inc.

www.kinderriderinc.com
  13. GB

Oddometer:
    I can now reply definitively to the "does it leak" question. It does not. :clap

I'm pleased with the comfort and features of this helmet. As for noise, I wear earplugs and have an MRA screen with spoiler, so the ride is very quiet on my bike.
  14. cpallen

cpallen Nearly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had an off the other day on my way to work and my trusty Concept1 has bit the dust after many years of great service.

[​IMG]

I have bought a couple of other helmets over the years but always return to this as my everyday lid. I've been shopping for a new one but am not in a position right now to pony up $800 for a C3Pro (which I prefer over the C3 non-pro) and had resigned myself to use the Shoei Multitech even though it lifts so bad it feels like it is gonna pull my head off.

So I read this review, checked out their website and figured what the hell it's worth a try especially having been endorsed by a multiple-Concept owning inmate. I bought one (in White - won't clash with my Hi-Viz aerostich) for $162 with free shipping. Can't beat that! I hope it fits and is everything it seems to be.
  15. GB

Oddometer:
    Give us your impressions of the LS2.. I'm very pleased with mine. :lurk
  16. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I sure will after a few miles with it. It may get here as soon as next Wednesday.
  17. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    GB, did you purchase it in Canada or from online?
  18. GB

Oddometer:
    Online south of the border, I don't think there are any dealers in Canada, but to be sure, you have to contact LS2 to see if they now have a dealer here.
  19. Phil_Ammendolia

Oddometer:
    Hi CPAllen,

I know Atomic-Moto.com sells this model and ships internationally.

Www.atomic-moto.com

Hope that helps.
    denty_uk likes this.
  20. cpallen

Oddometer:
    I received my LS2 FF386 helmet today, purchased from Leather Up dot com. It arrived in 8 days I think from my order (2 weekends in there too). Looks like it was drop shipped from a place called Allwin Powersports in Aurora, IL. Came well packed - double-boxed with Chinese newspaper in between, so who really knows how far this thing traveled in 8 days. Amazing!

Anyway I haven't taken it for a ride yet but will wear it for tomorrow's commute. It is definitely a solid helmet. The chin bar, face shield and even the vents require some effort to operate and I don't mean that in a bad way. Everything is very smooth and positive. At 3.9 lbs, it's about 0.3 lbs heavier than my Shoei Multitech. Fit is good in the cranium, a little tight in the cheeks and temples - a little harder to deal with my glasses than either the Concept or Shoei. Roomy in the chin - whereas my chin touches the bar in the Concept, I like the ratchet strap almost as well as the push-button on the Concept and much better than the d-rings of the Shoei. Lining is nice and plush. The chin bar and face shield are not flush fit to the helmet and I'm thinking it's going to be noisy. I really like the spring-loaded retractor for the sunshield. I haven't shopped a lot of helmets but this one seems to be a great value-priced lid.