Brake pad recommendation?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dogsdangles, Jul 4, 2012.

1. dogsdangles

dogsdangles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this straightforward question is going to spawn a ton of different responses (which I welcome!): what does everyone recommend for brake pads on the 990 *with* ABS. I do highway commuting on the weekdays (ABS enabled), and logging roads on the weekends (ABS disabled). I'm fairly happy with the OEM pads to be quite honest, but am always on the lookout for something "better" (however that be defined).
  2. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 950 adv. I didn't have any luck with any brake pads exept for the stock oem ones. Yes more money, but they last alot longer and have better feel.
  3. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    EBC EPFA series are awesome - expensive, but awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^

What he said
  5. Peanuts

Peanuts Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful but often rainy North Yorkshire, UK
    ^^ Thats certainly the case with my EXC, OEM Brembo every time. On my Adventure which never sees wet dirt, but does see fast road use on mountain roads, Ferodo HH works well.
  6. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Agreed...........I do use EBC graphites on the rear. Not as good as stock.
  7. redeye-az

redeye-az Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i just put a set of galfer green on the rear of a 10' 990A..
    we'll see.......
  8. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brembo brake pads. Cheaper, last almost as much as stock. Won't eat the rotors
  9. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i like those most, organic i think with softer compound they dont last quite as long but have a nice feel a dont eat the rotor so bad
  10. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a set of Vesrah pads for the front. I'll be back with impressions.....
  11. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

OEM pads are Brembo,,,,, they even come in a Brembo package with a KTM sticker on them.
  12. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get Toshiba brake pads when buying OEM for my SE. Excellent stuff! Is perhaps Toshiba subsupplier for Brembo?
  13. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't knew that, but i'm currently buying them at 30 euros/pair, when the stock KTM branded ones are at +50 euro/pair
  14. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Meh. No real difference over the Galfer's I had before.
  15. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    I like the Galfer Green front and back, good initial bite, don't fade, deal with wet well, don't squeal and don't appear to wear rotor too bad, but they do go away quicker than the OEM units for sure. I have not tried the Ceramic Galfers yet, mostly because the Greens seem to work for my needs...
  16. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the ones from the power parts catalogue.
  17. dogsdangles

dogsdangles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't found any online retailer that carries the Brembo pads for my 990A. Does anyone have any sources? I looked at the KTM spare parts catalog, and the OEM pads are Toshibas.

As you can tell from the time between now and my original post, I was able to squeeze out a few more miles from my pads ;). I'm at about 13.5k miles (sadly, most of it commuting on asphalt), and the rear pads are finally shot. The fronts could probably go another few miles, but I'd rather replace them sooner than later.
  18. Deepc

Deepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used galfer greens on the front and galfer blacks on the rear of my 05.5 950A. I'm switching to greens on the rear because the blacks are eating through my rear rotor at a alarming rate.
  19. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Toshiba is the manufacturer for Brembo pads.

Check the print on the box and the stamp in the pads ;)

I work at a factory for plastic products. The stamp on the labels is different then the stamp on the product itself.
    The company on the label outsources the production, design and material choice to us. The same is done for all kinds of production.

Example: My 250sx 2003 has an Italian(!) made KTM clutch basket. I always tought KTM was Austrian? :D -> outsourced but stamped with KTM.

Another example is the KTM 690 duke. Bajaj factories build the bike with parts and materials they selected as cheap as possible but still meeting KTM standards. Also to add that 690 Dukes that come on the market outside of India are being revieuwed by KTM factory standard quality controls before they are thrown on the market.

So to ease your mind: Quality control is always done by the standards of the outsourcing company.
    But as every kind of production, bad batches of products can occur. (same happens at our factory)
    That's why they switched from another manufacturer on the 2007 brake pads for the Superduke (HAWK -> TOSHIBA), the pads simply fell apart. (ok, that last part might not ease your mind :D)

It all comes down to two things: Price and quality. Factories always make things 'good enough' instead of 'over-engineering' stuff. Doing the latter wil costs more but adds nothing in the end.
    JohnnyWaffles likes this.
  20. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great information,and timely...