Schuberth Helmets for ADVRiders

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BoochZilla, Nov 2, 2010.

1. BoochZilla

BoochZilla Metal.Moto.Mania.

Oddometer:
    Schuberth Helmets Discussion and FAQ:

As of October 2010, Schuberth Helmets are back in North America. We (RevZilla.com) are stocking & selling the full line Schuberth Helmets and accessories in our Philadelphia store as well as on our web site at RevZilla.com/schuberth-helmets.

For those of you who are not familiar with Schuberth of Germany, the Schuberth C3 and Schuberth C3W (women's specific) are both modular but are extremely low profile, lightweight and QUIET.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just like we have done in the past with technical gear such as REV'IT!, Klim and others, we wanted to start a discussion and eventually create an knowledge-base around the Schuberth Helmets knowing that there will be many questions about the newly available line in North America. (Schuberth was last available in the states in ~2006) We know there are already a good chunk of riders wearing Schuberth and another group who has been patiently awaiting its return.

Videos Shot in HD, be sure to Fullscreen.

Schuberth C3 Helmet Video Review part: 1 we cover Basics, Features and Fit.<object height="385" width="640"></object>
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GU5n_xRCcEY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GU5n_xRCcEY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Schuberth C3 Helmet Review Part 2: Shield Change Liner Removal and SRC System Bluetooth Overview<object height="385" width="640"></object>
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xTb77SJD-YU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xTb77SJD-YU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

SRC SYSTEM Review Part 3: SRC System Bluetooth Review and Installation
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qylPbUrbvx4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qylPbUrbvx4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

For those of you who do not know us, my name is Anthony and I am one of the guys behind RevZilla.com. Yes I'm the poor chap in our videos which hopefully help other adv'ers find the right gear. We are gear geeks to a large degree, though and the hope is to answer any questions fellow inmates on ADVrider.com may have.

Please feel free to ask you Schuberth Helmet questions here and we will be happy to answer them inline, we will also take the most common and add them to the FAQ at the bottom of this post.

Two Wheels Down,

Anthony

Schuberth Helmets Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q: Why should I consider buying a Schuberth Helmet?
    A: Aside from the obvious benefits that German engineering bring to the table, the simple benefit is that Schuberth Modular helmets are some of the most, if not the most, lightweight (3.6 lbs), strong (Fiberglass, Duroplast and Dyneema composite shell) and quiet (84 db at 60 mph) motorcycle helmets. It is also extremely low profile relating to shape and its aerodynamic profile. The Schuberth line is designed with the long distance rider in mind.

Q: In non-geek, what does that mean?
    A: Small, light, stable and quiet mean that in long distance riding, less stress and fatigue will be imparted to the head and neck muscles of the rider. In short allowing for not only a more comfortable and enjoyable ride, but also one free from the distractions caused by a heavy, noisy, buffeting helmet. Ability to focus and concentrate = safe riding.

Q: What is the internal shape of a Schuberth C3 Helmet?
    A: We are calling the Schuberth C3 an intermediate rounded oval. If the Shoei RF-1000 was the bench mark for "intermediate ovals" the C3 helmet is slightly rounder, hence more wide left to right almost bordering on a neutral shape. In my opinion it fits like the Arai RX-Q, Shoei Qwest or slightly less round than the HJC RPS-10. If you are an exteme long oval head (Only typically fit Arai Profile), this helmet is not for you.

Q: What is the difference between a Schuberth C3 Helmet and a Women's Schuberth C3W Helmet?

A:The Schuberth C3W Helmet, has slightly tighter dimensions internally as well as around the face due to a womens anatomical cheek and facial bone structure and head sizes which differ from a typical man. The C3W is also made with high density memory foam in areas to cradle specific nuances of a womens head shape for the most comfortable and safe fit.

Q: How many shell shapes does Schuberth offer on the C3 and C3W?
    A: Two shell shapes / sizes are used to cover S-L and XL-XXXL sizes respectively.

Q: When did Schuberth Arrive back in the USA?
    A: Schuberth North America began shipping helmets and opening dealers in late October 2010.

Q: Is Schuberth North America a 3rd party importer?
    A: No. Schuberth North America is a division of Schuberth Germany and in turn can deliver the same level of support to its product as any worldwide manufacturer with a branch in the states.

Q: Will the full line of Schuberth Helmets be available in the USA upon launch in Oct 2010? Or just certain helmets?

A: No. At launch only the Schuberth C3 Helmet, C3W Helmet will be available however SRC-SYSTEM Bluetooth Units, Shields, Cheekpads & Visors for both the C3 and the C2 will be available. The S1 and other Schuberth Helmets may become available for sale in the states at a later date in 2011 or beyond.

Q: Will the Schuberth C3 and C3W be DOT certified to be legal in helmet requiring states in the USA?

A: Yes. The C3 and C3W will both be DOT and ECE 22.05 certified. Cost and timing of DOT certification is most likely one of the causes for delay in the rollout of addional Schuberth Models in North America.
    pceire32 likes this.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Good to see RevZilla will be selling these great helmets. Is there any chance you'll be picking up the C3 in hi-viz yellow?
  3. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer. When I retired my X-11 last year I bought a Profile. Fit is perfect, but I can't say I get the Arai thing. Not impressed at all. I was thinking I'd consider a C3. Looks like that's a no go!
  4. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Both my Arai XD3 and my now disintegrating Nolan N103 fit me well. Does that mean the C3 won't..?
  5. BoochZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi Gadget,

Thanks for the nod. We are in light talks about the C3 Hi-Viz as we speak. We will keep everyone posted as we try to bring the Hi-Viz C3 to fruition.

Best,

Anthony

6. chiba

chiba FYYFF

Oddometer:
    Kindly discuss the "quiet" claim in the light of them having that giant scoop on the front of the helmet.

Quiet compared to what? I've found precisely zero flip-ups that are as quiet as traditional full face helmets. For instance, I currently use both a Shoei Multi-Tec and an RF-1000. The RF is exponentially quieter than the MT.

I've got an older Schuberth. Good helmet except for the "pop-forward" method of venting the face shield. As soon as you do that, the noise goes up by a mile AND the face shield vibrates so much it affects vision. Does this new Schuberth have the same face shield venting method?

Not to mention the real bottom line: PRICES. Your website has them listed at $699. Why should I buy a C3 when I can get an Arai for $200 less?

More importantly, will replacement face shields be available for more than 60 days after the helmets hit our shores?

Thanks.

--chiba
  7. BoochZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim,

I am an intermediately oval, can fit into an Arai Profile, but am happiest in something like the fit of an Arai XD-3 or RF-1100. I also can wear a Shark no problem, so I guess I would be a crossover, although crossover on the side of more oval vs rounder.

I has no problems with fit on the C3, but one of our guys internally is a pronounced long oval (Profile to a T) and he could not swing the C3 - not enough clearance front to back.

If you ever make it through Philly come try one on! I have never seen your head, but you never know.

Best,

Anthony

8. BoochZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi Boon,

I wear an XD-3 and the shape of the C3 is no problem for me. Also the Nolan's are a bit round for me, but I think the C3 is the happy medium between round and intermediate oval.

If you can fit anf XD-3 and something like an RF-1100 you should be fine in the C3.

As I said to Jim above, the only head shape so far thathas not worked is the long long oval (profile shape). I have yet to get it on someone with super-round shape yet, though.

Best,

Anthony

9. createAbang

createAbang Vagabundos del Moto

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Hi-Viz. Make that +2, the wife wants one too! :freaky
  10. levain

Oddometer:
    Hmm, interesting you mention the Shark RSR. I tried that in between the X-11 and Profile. It was a perfect fit for around 30-45min., then I would get this piercing pain right on top of my head in a perfect circle. It felt like someone put a marble on top of my head, and crammed my head into the helmet. Take helmet off and pain went away. I was bummed. That Shark was the nicest helmet I've ever seen. Ever heard of that problem?
  11. BoochZilla

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim,

Wow, I have not heard of that. Usually with the Shark its a hot spot here or there (many times on the sides) due to the fact that it's such a pronounced oval.

The RSR2 is a beautiful helmet and it is reasonably quiet.

How did the RF-1100 feel? If you went with the perfect fitting Profile I would imagine the 1100 would be reasonable, but not ideal.

Just curious...

Anthony

12. BoochZilla

Oddometer:
    Bookmark this thread :-)

I will keep you posted.

A

13. BoochZilla

Oddometer:
    I went for a ride today in Philly in the new DOT rated C3. It was 45 degrees. I am wearing a gloss black medium (56/57).

Stable, quiet and light at Highway+ speed. Looking forward to really riding this guy further into the Winter and put it further through the paces.

[​IMG]

For you super-gear-geeks (like me) reading this, that is a REV'IT! Everest GTX Jacket. :evil Don't tell....

-Anthony
  14. martys

martys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Anthony -

how does the shape and size of the C3 compare to the Arai Corsair RX7? I've been wearing a medium Corsair for a few years and it fits like a glove, but it's pretty noisy on my Multistrada 1200. I've tried the Nolan N103's and they feel too round for me. Is the C3 a good compromise?

Also, will you be getting any of the World graphics or the Carbon version?

thanks
  15. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    For anyone who's owned a C2 and was less than impressed, the C3 is leaps and bounds better: lighter, quieter, easier chin bar operation, better ventilation, pinlock visor means no fogging up on cool mornings, better buckle latching system... I have a white C3 and if Booch adds a hi viz one, I'll be thinking of getting one for my pillion.

Any thoughts of an ADV inmate special? :D
  16. BeRadTheFish

BeRadTheFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Anthony,

I'm interested in this helmet for myself and my pillion. A couple questions:

We'll do our best to measure for the proper size, but if we're wrong - Do you accept returns/exchanges as long as it's not used on the road and I would pay for return shipping?

Second: I've read in a lot of reviews that the SRC's FM radio has a static issue. Has that been resolved either at the factory or with a firmware update?

Thanks for your time.

Be Rad
  17. levain

Oddometer:
    The only Shoei I've ever worn that fit was an X-11. They all hit me hard right in the forehead causing a headache within a few minutes. That said, I'm not sure if I've tried a RF-1000. I'm a med in both X-11 and Profile. I had a med. RSR2. Is it possible I should've just gone up to a large? I remember it being very snug, but in a good way.
  18. bigsnowdog

bigsnowdog Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer:
    Because the Arai is not a flip-up.
  19. Shane Stump

Shane Stump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had a C3 helmet since April 2009 and I got the BT kit for it in June. It is an AMAZING helmet. I am not going to say it is the quietest helmet I have ever had, but it is the BEST helmet I have ever owned!

Best regards,

Shane
  20. BoochZilla

Oddometer:
    Hi Marty,

The C3 should be a good compromise. It sounds like your head is very much like mine in shape. Also Medium to Medium from Arai to Schuberth translates well.

With regard to the Carbon, we will have the style in the Spring, but are not sure about the world graphics.

Best,

Anthony