User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
GTC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
More transmission issues

I changed the transmission fluid on my 2002 Gas Gas 280 Pro to Dexron 3 two weeks ago. I rode it in the tune up trials for the RMTA. After the event I took it to a car wash and sprayed it off. (I thought I was very careful about keeping water out of harmful places, the bike still looked pretty dirty when I got done.) I then immediately ran the bike till the fan came on. Then a couple days later I took the bike out and noticed the fan was running almost all the time, then when I parked it I noticed that it was dripping transmission fluid. It dripped for a couple minutes then stopped. I thought I got water in the breather, so I changed the transmission fluid again. Then I go out yesturday and have the same problem. Should I change the fluid again, did I just over fill it and thats excess coming out? (Where is the breather so I make sure to stay clear of it in the future?)

Any ideas are appreciated,

George
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
I changed the transmission fluid on my 2002 Gas Gas 280 Pro to Dexron 3 two weeks ago. I rode it in the tune up trials for the RMTA. After the event I took it to a car wash and sprayed it off. (I thought I was very careful about keeping water out of harmful places, the bike still looked pretty dirty when I got done.) I then immediately ran the bike till the fan came on. Then a couple days later I took the bike out and noticed the fan was running almost all the time, then when I parked it I noticed that it was dripping transmission fluid. It dripped for a couple minutes then stopped. I thought I got water in the breather, so I changed the transmission fluid again. Then I go out yesturday and have the same problem. Should I change the fluid again, did I just over fill it and thats excess coming out? (Where is the breather so I make sure to stay clear of it in the future?)

Any ideas are appreciated,

George
At the Risk that Someone will say I am all wet, pun intended...

You might be just facing 2 seperate things that "seem" related due to coincidence...

There is a good chance that the waterpump seal has gone bad, when you start the bike, look at the sight glass (I cant recall if 02's had them I think so though):

Water in trans fluid will really foam. Red trans fluid turns PINK. if you keep getting foamy oil after you changed and have NOT powerwashed a bunch of water into the transmission... Be sure to Check radiator for antifreeze loss!

If there is loss, and your not leaking all over the outside, the oil is foamy, and growing in amounts, then it is most likely a Waterpump seal, this is a fairly common thing that happens. It is a wear item. I wish I could more accurately state how many hours of riding until the little Impeller's shaft, wears down, which lets the seal "fail" and can fill up transmission with contents of radiator...

I also wish I could recall, seems like maybe $30 USD? for a waterpump seal kit, which includes new shaft, seal and waterpump "impeller". Seems like every other year, if used every month like I do. Search YOUTUBE for gasgasinfo (which is one of many handles that our US parts Importer has posted videos and the DVD manuals for PRO model trials bikes) http://www.youtube.com/user/GASGASin...e=results_main there is a video about changing the seal and all, NOTE that seals put in backwards fail instantly, and backwards is easy to accidently do... mark or take pics when you take apart, then look at his video, so you know it is in right.

IF you check that radiator, and the antifreez is not lost, there is maybe a chance you have a hose missing on the vent for transmission case? there is a vent near the primary sprocket, Hopefully someone chimes in here, I cant think anywhere else?
at any rate, and should have a few inched of hose on them. Hose prevents water & dirt, going into the bike as easy! water in tranny is a beyotch, sometimes takes a couple changes to get water/moisture out. get the bike good and warm I think, then change. I would NOT ride trails, when there is a presence of water-foamy oil, it is not good on any bearing, but the split bearing on primary sprocket shaft (output to chain drive shaft) seems to have a problem when not well lubed...

BTW, one trick upon assembly, put some lithium or any good grease in the seal where the little shaft rides, seems to slow down the wear on shaft, again "seems to" is my OPINION. and I used the same grease I use to assemble Front fork seals, as that grease seems extra slippery, and doesnt get hard in COLD, I use it in throttle grip stuff too, as in winter as I said, it doesnt get harder to twist due to cold.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
GTC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just checked the coolant level and it is right at the top.

Any other ideas?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
I changed the transmission fluid on my 2002 Gas Gas 280 Pro to Dexron 3 two weeks ago. did I just over fill it and thats excess coming out?
George
How much did you put in? Double check me but I think it only takes 350cc or so.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
GTC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I put in just a tad bit over 350cc.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 162
For what it is worth on the 2001 321 TXT I just picked up, when I changed the oil and refilled to what I thought was the midpoint on the window it released a little out of the vent tube on the next ride. The next time I changed it I was careful to make sure I stopped at midpoint in the window, and again it released a little out the vent tube. It appears midpoint on the window is just a tad too much for this 2001 321TXT, maybe yours is similar.
wb22rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb22rules View Post
For what it is worth on the 2001 321 TXT I just picked up, when I changed the oil and refilled to what I thought was the midpoint on the window it released a little out of the vent tube on the next ride. The next time I changed it I was careful to make sure I stopped at midpoint in the window, and again it released a little out the vent tube. It appears midpoint on the window is just a tad too much for this 2001 321TXT, maybe yours is similar.

FOr what is worth WB22, the 2001 "TXT" of old (your bike) was a completely different engine! Look at this, great quick guide for pre 2003 non PRO model bikes... http://mypage.direct.ca/b/billyd/ggman.pdf Manual I think said, 750 cc's everyone in trials used 650-700cc, to help with dragging clutch, on those old bikes.

Now GTC, any oil will foam like hell, if water is being pushed in there.. so if it is not foaming (very obvious in sight glass) when running, you probably arent having the waterpump into transmission leaks I guessed at. It only takes a couple drops, but radiator being full, just seems to make me think that pump is not leaking yet... Oh the kits are over $60 now I guess, sorry...

I have not seen my bike (scratch that, I have not NOTICED) leak oil except around my gasket on clutch side after mistakes made tightening bolts, lol. But I have seen "residue?" in the vent hoses on bikes, just not mine that I have seen, I have to say I Aint been lookin either (at mine while talking OR riding then when parked I dont think about it).

maybe the oil you use is easier to notice, and maybe just riding there is a few drops tossed into the breather? if sight glass looks good when engine off and all that, AND oil is not foamy, then you probably not have a problem? or I dunno, unless crank seal is out and blowing into trans which is causing it to blow out vent, I cant hardy believe or help ya there.

Tried though...

Sting32 screwed with this post 03-21-2012 at 07:36 AM
Old 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb22rules View Post
Never fill by the `glass`, always measure the correct amount. You have over filled if it is pushing out the vent. Also hell on your clutch action also. Sting is right on amounts. 750cc on a rebuild, 650cc on a oil change.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Never fill by the `glass`, always measure the correct amount. You have over filled if it is pushing out the vent. Also hell on your clutch action also. Sting is right on amounts. 750cc on a rebuild, 650cc on a oil change.
Lineaway, thanks for confirming, Yes it is better to measure, by a long shot, if nothing else then you can "check to see" where in the sight glass it "TURNS OUT TO BE"

... --- but NOTE TO EVERYONE--- the OP... he did say "PRO" and they dont take more than 350-375cc's for trials use (I have it written in the toolbox, so my pin headed memory didnt have to memorize that number) but I think that is right what I just typed. Sure, I should go look, at a manual though to be sure for posting I guess... Lazy me.

they have online manuals on Gasgas es (spain) if you guys want to check me, all pro engines use same amounts. we put a little less, which still fill sight glass just about half full, when oil has distributed like it should, WHEN standing upright, on wheels not a stand.

The older TXT's was what I was telling WB22RULES for his bike (01 txt), uses (again download & PRINT that PDF I linked you) for TXT models (NOT PRO), I even have one that I laminated, still in toolbox drawer at the shop, great "quick sheet" to have!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 162
I will measure it next time and see what the result is, l just got this bike and have not owned any previous trials type bikes.

Edit- Thanks for the link, Good Stuff

wb22rules screwed with this post 03-23-2012 at 07:06 PM Reason: addition
wb22rules is offline   Reply With Quote