$96.17 to mount & balance tires already removed from bike

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by formulals1, Jan 14, 2003.

1. formulals1

formulals1 Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went to the nearest BMW dealership (Lone Star in Austin) and dropped off my clean front & rear wheels and two new Tourance tires. My request was to mount & balance the tires and check the spokes from my 1100 GS. About two hours or so later the job is complete - they even removed some old glue from a previous balance weights. Cool, I’m ready to go......what the Fu#k....$96.17! (Labor 1.5 hr x $60 = $90.00, Shop supplies $2.00, Tire disposal fee $4.00, Tax $0.17)

After looking at the ticket I see 1.5 hours of labor and asked why it took so long. The response is that they charge .75 labor for each wheel - that is our standard charge. He did explain that the rates had recently changed. Even the dudes at the parts counter seemed surprised by the charge.

To me, this is cost is just way too much! Damn, how much would they charge if I took the whole bike in? Does anyone think I got screwed on this price or am I just out of the loop on service labor cost?
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    That's about the going rate for a dealer. But, since you didn't buy the tires there, will they honor the mfg warranty if you got a wobbly tire (not uncommon)? If they won't, then it's a ripoff.
  3. RubberDown

RubberDown Long timer

Oddometer:
    nope you got screwed. I called my local dealer today and they charge $45 to mount and balance both the front and the rear tire. I asked how much it would be if I just brought them the rims and they said it would be the same $45 on or off the bike. I also told them that I usually buy my tires from a mail order company so that I will have them on hand in case of a shortage or back order. They said "no problem" we'll mount them.
    Some dealers get angry when you bring in your own tires! I remember one time I was getting a tire mounted by Ted Porter at Bob's BMW and he got pissed because I brought a tire from Competition Accessories. He told me the tire was bad and he couldn't get it to balance. Fair enough, but he then gave me a lecture on how if I had purchased the tire from them, he could go grab me another one and their wouldn't be an issue. However, because I was trying to save a couple of extra pennies I was screwed. I just told him to balance the tire as best as he could and so he did. I never had a problem with that tire and I seriously doubt there was anything wrong with it in the first place. Ted also told me that in the future I shouldn't bring them tires from Comp. ACC because they wouldn't mount it due to liability reasons.
    I called my dealer and a mail order company to compare prices for Tourances. The dealer wanted $90 more!! I guess I don't have to tell you where I'll be getting my new tires from. :):

Eric
    '01 R1150GS
  4. dapolrbear

dapolrbear Buddah Head Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I was a starving student I used to bring my own parts to my the mechanic, because I can get the part I needed cheaper and faster. But I liked his work and I know he does good work.

He always asks me if I brought my own meat to the restraunt where I am eating. I see his point, but hey, I can get the meat cheaper.
  5. JohnTM

JohnTM Who's my daddy? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didja remember to bring your own Vasoline? Would have made the mounting much easier on you!

Bring 'em to Franklin, TN next time. $2 for Billy the tire disposal boy, a buck for weights, and a six-pack for mounting. You won't even need the vasoline (unless Hargis is around :evil )
  6. sebastian

sebastian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there - I am a good friend of the shop, know everyone there and even work there at their annual Christmas party...that's why even I'm ashamed at $96! I removed my wheels from my GS, brought in my own tyres and had them mounted a few months ago for $66. It was 30 bucks a trye, plus the cost of rags and such (which I would rather them just add it to the cost without letting me know - everytime I see a rag and soapy water cost I wonder when I will see the soap expense of washing up, the cost of the paper towel he dried with, etc.). Other shops in the area are doing that as well, but you may have a problem bringing in your own tyres. I forget the name of the shop that sells KTMs - but they'll do it. Located by the railroad tracks on Lamar - down the street from Woods. My apologies for that $100 surprise...S.
  7. bear

bear Guest

Yeah the tire changing thing is getting ridiculous, I am now in the process of buying my own hand tire changer and balancer. I average about 2-3 sets of tires a year so I figure it will payoff pretty quick. Once I get it your welcome to come over and change your tires just take them home with you.
  8. Zoul

Zoul No Comment Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's why I bought my own stuff to do the tires.

I went throught the same thing here when I was shopping for tires I figured out that I would be ahead on the 2nd tire change.

I got the balancer here Rod's tire balancer .

The quality is very good and I would recommend it to any one. This is not :spam . He just does good work.

My $.02 (not adjusted for inflation)
  9. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    How much of that $60/hour do you think the mechanic see's....that's a lot of overhead.

I can understand the dealers point of view, people buying their own tyres and wanting the shop to mount them for little or no profit, but it's not like they'll mount them for free if you buy from them anyway.
    Also the price difference between buying online or from the dealer is outrageous, the dealers need to understand that were not stupid and can't/won't, especially if you're running multiple bikes, pay it. If I took my bikes to the dealer for routine maintanence/consumables I'd probably have to sell at least one of them. Although I didn't buy my BMW from my local dealer (because the salesman wouldn't work with me...maybe next time) I've spent a fair bit on parts/accessories etc from them since then.

You'de think they'de try and capitalise on having you hanging around the shop waiting for your tyres.
  10. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    It's high, but that's usually the case when a shop doesn't make money on the tire sale as well. As for how much they'd charge if you brought in the entire bike, I dunno, but they recently told a friend (and longtime loyal customer) that it'd take two weeks just to get to it.
  11. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    Gosh, I take my wheels to a local bicycle shop- the owner/mechanic does some bike/atv biz as well and rides moto as well as bikes. $10 to change and balance a tire(free if I buy thru him), $36 to true. Course I am not running those high zoot robot built gotta throw them away if you break a spoke GS wheels you beemer boyz have...
  12. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    If you have a cycle gear chain store in your area check them out. They did 2 sets for me already removed for 12.99 per tire.
  13. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    well it is his shop. he can charge all he thinks he can get from you. that's the game. he tries to figure out how much you got and you try to look poor. The way they figure it, you can either buy the skins from them and get the whole deal done. or you can go elsewhere.

I made friends with the local shop dudes. for years I would go to a place that only sold gear and tires. since that was all they did, they had great prices. And I would slip the kid doing the tire changes a 6 pack to get me a priority rating in the queue.

Then I made friends with the local shop and since I had a fleet, I bought a lot of tires. They didnt mind swapping the race take offs I got for my beemer onto the wheels for a couple six packs. Then came a day when I bought a new tire from them for my DR. nothing big a kenda DOT knobbie front. cheap. so I figure I need to get my tire itron skills back up to snuff so I forgoe the professional mounting. I take the thing home and proceed to completely fuck up the tube. And I had buddies showing up in the AM to go ride the trails. So I call them up and apologize for being a dork. Then I run down to the bike shop bright and early and have them mount and balance it. and get a new tube. the dude charged me 30 bucks. huh? minimum shop charge. hold on. I bought the tire and tube from you guys. it hasnt even been 24 hours. and now you are dinging me?

well fuck you too. so a few months later I bought a HF tire changer. at first they lose the DR service. then they will lose the BMW and guzzi service, then the VTR will get sold. no more tires bought by me.

See, I dont raise a big stink. I just go away.
  14. RubberDown

RubberDown Long timer

Oddometer:
    :super :super :super
  15. formulals1

formulals1 Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Believe me, that is the last tire change they get from me! The only reason they got my business was because of the BMW rear wheel. Mounting and balancing tires have been around for a long time and it isn’t tricky or new technology! Just no real good reason to stick a customer for it. That’s what I get for not asking the price before hand! I’m not only bitching....maybe I can save someone else from this unpleasant surprise.

Thanks, Bear, I’ll most likely swing my tires over to your place next time.
  16. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    I dunno what you guys are bitching about, getting your rubber changed has always been a rip off in NY area. Think they're charging close to a hundred a wheel, even if you take the wheel off yourself, and bring it to them with the new tires. I seem to recall one particular BMW dealer in Long Island charged me $120!!! a tire once. Never bought another thing from them again.

Got tired of being screwed by those bloodsuckers so I went and bought all the tire changing gear - expensive, but should pay for itself after a few seasons.
  17. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    The local San Diego BMW Dealer here will not mount any tires brought in by customers....period. If you don't buy the tire from them, it aint gonna get mounted by them. No exceptions.

I buy all my tires from a small local cycle shop, that charges a bit more than the internet for tires, but mounts and balances for only $15 each(wheels off the bike). The other thing though, is he doesn't scratch up the rims.
  18. John Macdonald

John Macdonald Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got Metzeler M1 Sportecs on the S model at Subterranean Cycles in Downtown San Francisco.
    Front tire $113
    Rear tire $132

FREE FITTING
    Ten dollar discount for paying cash
    Total outta the door with tax and state handling fee was $258.00

That's competitive with mail order prices there.
    Mounted and balanced no less.
  19. beerman

beerman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey ShaftEd,

What's the name of that local shop you mentioned?

Beerman
  20. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Santee Motorcycle Supply. Ken is the owner and I have been buying tires from him for many years. He's a good guy and busts tons of tires at his shop.