Soft bags for Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by GTO Bruin, Sep 19, 2013.

1. GTO Bruin

GTO Bruin n00b

Oddometer:
    This is my first post so please be patient with a noob question. I'm planning my purchase of a new Tiger 800, and wondering about soft side bags. I like the Aero ones from SW Motech, but I can't tell from their description if they end up asymmetric. With the hard panniers, the difference left to right due to the exhaust is compensated by using a smaller one on the exhaust side. The soft bags are the same for either side. Wouldn't this result in one sticking out further?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
  2. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Normally the brackets/bars required help with the offset, will they do with mine.

FWIW one word in soft luggage (for me) - Wolfman.

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/
  3. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff Man of Mystery

Oddometer:
    Welcome GTO Bruin! :wave

The Tiger 800 (like most ADV bikes) has a high-mount exhaust on one side...this makes most racks asymmetrical. If they weren't, the bikes would be really wide. Bags (like the aero ones you mentioned) mounted to these racks are going to be asymmetric unless you go with a bigger left/ smaller right hand hard pannier set-up.

This thread has lots pics and discussion about panniers for the Tiger 800.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707819

(Google is your friend...:evil)
  4. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
  5. alainmax

alainmax ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer:
    for a little over $100- 120 Nelson Riggs CL line...tough to beat that price /quality ratio
    Alaska , SA to Ushuaia, they were the ticket....
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Wolfman Monarch pass bags are great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before buying these, I was really curious about the Happy Trails Mojave bags.

They look, to me, like Ortliebs with a unique mounting system. I'm happy with my Monarch Pass, but when I saw a pair of these in the Flea Market for $50 shipped, I figured I'd pick them up just for fun. They're currently enroute, so I can post back. The one thing I don't like about the Monarch Pass is that they're long and skinny. Same as my old Kriegas. I find that whatever I want is always on the bottom. I'm thinking the wider shape might be better in that regard. Time will tell.