Best Exhaust for the X 650???

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SteveRed, Nov 6, 2007.

1. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    I have seen a few aftermarket exhausts on the merged X650 thread but at over 150 pages things are getting hard to track. I would love some feedback on pipes for my X-Challenge... Here in OZ it is often better to pick something up OS and ship.

So any feedback is welcome, including where you8 got you pipe.

Cheers

SteveRed
  2. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I don't know which one is best. I run an aluminium Leovince X3 and I like it. The connecting pipe is made of titanium and the heat shield and mounting hardware are made of carbon fiber. It comes with 4 inserts. two legal, two loud, each with and without spark arrester.

I've had it now for 1500kms and it's still as quiet/loud as it was when new. I've dropped the bike quite a few times and the exhaust still looks ok. Bought it off german Ebay.

Downside? the heatshield could have been longer to protect your inner left leg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Hallo Max.. Danke fuer Deine Antwort... How do you find the LeoVince? Does it give you a seat of the pants increase in power and is it too loud? I have jumped onto German Ebay and they have it listed for 329 Euros which isn't too bad considering the price of Remus! Though Remus pipes do tend to sound nice.

Tschuess

Steve
  4. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I don't find it too loud to be socially acceptable, but quiet it isn't. It's still Euro/TUV/ABE/AFSF approved and comes with all the necessary paperwork. My butt tells me with this exhaust there is a bit more topend (it revs freeer), and maybe the bottom power has increased. My butt needs needs calibrating though, it has been a while.

I'd like to sum it like: the bike runs better, and without the catalytic converter you've lost the heat core under you left leg.
  5. Crud

Crud Rider of Many Things

Oddometer:
    I am picking my bike up next week with the Remus Titanium on it. I will chime in after a couple of rides and post some photos too.
  6. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Well even purchased and imported from Germany the LV is around $200AUD cheaper than the alloy freeride and some $300AUD cheaper than the titanium Freeride. The Remus Revolution adds another $200-$300AUD. I might even think about shortening the mid pipe so the carbon heat shield does it's job a bit better.

Thanks MK
  7. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    OK.. I have just ordered my LeoVince X3 exhaust over Ebay and sent off payment... man this seller needs to get a PayPal account, it's such a pain to send money via the bank at $30 for the transaction and an hour of my time! Looking forward to hearing my new exhaust though! :ear
  8. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted SteveRed.
  9. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Will do Max.. Thanks for the heads up and feedback.

Cheers :freaky
  10. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I'm most curious if yours and mine butt dyno are a bit in sync.
  11. Steady

Steady Flogster

Oddometer:
    Have the Remus Titanium Freeflow. Very loud. Performance is improved, no doubt. Nice fittings and looks good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Crud

Oddometer:

Did your remus come with a baffle. It looks like you are running that can without one. Do you have a baffle for it and if so, how loud is it with the baffle in? Thanks
  13. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3

My problem with the vendor was pleasantly cleared up today. After I posted the money, their bank in Germany took additional funds out at their end shorting them some EUR15. I explained that I had covered the bank fees as well as I could and paid their shipping fees as quoted (EUR329 for the exhaust + EUR85 shipping to OZ)... But I would try and get my in-laws who live in Dresden to bank the missing EUR15. The vendor emailed this evening forgiving the fees and told me the pipe is on it's way :clapI also told them to wake up and get a PayPal account! :lol3
  14. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I told them, to get Paypal.
  15. Hoots Magoon

Hoots Magoon Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer:
    Can we keep these types of comments in JM?:puke2
  16. Steady

Steady Flogster

Oddometer:
    Crud,

The baffel is about 2 inches long and makes no diference to the volume, so I took it out.
  17. Crud

Oddometer:
    Thats good to know. My dealer just just called me and said mine did not come with the baffle, but it did have a spark arrestor. I guess I wont order the baffle if you found that it makes no difference to the volume of the pipe.
  18. alfaris

alfaris MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer:
    I have already ordered a Leovince from same shop as Maxkool did.:wink:

I am leaving to Morocco december 1st so i hope i can try it there....:lol3 at pleasure.

My only concerns are about which insert should i mount (legal or racing) and if spark arrestor is mandatory in Europe.
  19. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I have fitted the legal insert with the spark arrester. With this setup it's not overly loud so the music/noise from the exhaust won't tire you out. Although the spark arrester seems to be a typical US thing, I can understand the idea behind it.
  20. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remus added some material that should pass as a spark arrestor to their original baffle. I found even this set up to be far too loud. Hopefully you will have access to a welder who can add some more baffling to the spark arrestor. I personally think the bike is far to loud with the baffle, I don't know how you can use this pipe without a baffle, it is painfully loud.

Jim in Sacramento