Death Valley in Feb?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by wyowanderer, Jan 29, 2013.

1. wyowanderer

wyowanderer Wyoming Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Just picked up a new to me 08 FJR earlier this month and l've got the itch to ride in a bad way. Living where I do I won't be able to get the bike out for at least another 2 1/2 months. Have always had the urge to ride Death Valley. Would February be a decent time to ride down there? I am planning on throwing the bike in the back of the truck and heading south to a starting point of St. George, UT or nearby. Any higher mountain passes between St. George and Death Valley surrounding area I should avoid due to snow/ice? Camping options in and around Death Valley from Mid to Late Feb? Also, any one have insight on if a cycle dealer in the St. George area would be willing to let me use their loading dock to unload my bike and leave my truck for a few days? Sorry bout the barrage of questions. Thanks for any and all help!
  2. WildBillc4

WildBillc4 F Pavment

Oddometer:
    I've ridden in snow there in late April, so Febuary may be risky. The valley doesn't see all that much, but you will wake up in the morning after a storm and see the snow down to 3,000ft. Most of the canyons and the valley floor should be accessible but Butte valley may not be. You'll have to head further South for a guarantee of no snow. Have you considered Anza Borrego? It is nice this time of year.
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Loading and unloading from a truck....

Have a ramp.
    Back the rearend of truck into a ditch.
    Unload bike.

Can also work well against embankments/slopes.
    Probably a motel near there offers these conditions....
  4. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Beatty, NV, is a terrific base of ops for DV. It's an easy day's drive from Idaho Falls. A motel there (I spent several nights at the Exchange Club motel, and it was good) the first night, then head into the park in the morning. The auto test crews that base in Beatty hang at the pub across the street from the motel.
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: