Oz Safari Team ADV - "The Racing of the cahns"

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Sundowner, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    I'll start this thread as a warning and lesson to other would be rally racers...so consider yourselves duly told. Stand back, as these are dark and trying times. What should be as easy as "Would you like to join our rally team?" could easily devolve into a slap-fight over "what colour the team t-shirts should have been, you twit." at any moment.
    The Plan - gather with like minded idiots and go race motorbikes. Already full of faults and possible grissly outcomes, we'll stumble blindly ahead until a better plan forms.

The Players - So far, the list of truly misguided include....

Myself, "Sundowner" Dusty to my mates, confirmed entry, definitely on some sort of historic machine (one of those old things with big fuel tanks, probably). I really want to see a Pre-95 Historic Safari bike class come into being. So like a lamb to the slaughter, I'm following the voices in my head during my quest for the right machine. Edit - the voices came to me and said, "Race an XR600R" -thus, it will come to pass. Stay tuned for the build stuff here, as my wallet allows it.

Next victim, Sequent (or Chainsaw Dave to his mates), confirmed entry, past veteran of several Oz Safari raids, including an amazing win in the 250cc class one year. He's still amazed by it. So am I. He appears mentally stable, except just prior to the start of any race. His chosen weapon, a new KTM 450 proper rally bike. Shiny and fast. He's running a Ned Seuss Dakar level kitted bike. Would put a horn on a jellyfish. The bike. Not Dave - head like a robber's dog.

<STRIKE>Likely Suspect No. 1 - Waldecker aka Dr Michael, well spoken and highly intelligent (but races motorcycles :huh), proud owner of one of the best presented Husabergs I've ever seen. Actually, it's the only Husaburg Rally bike I've ever seen, the ex-Garry Connell Dakar machine of 2012 (I think). We have big hopes for Mike in the team...mainly that he knows Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation to get us going again each day, before the first stage start.</STRIKE> OUT, unfortunately due to time constraints. Team'll need a nurse now...one with small hands and big ti....

Team ADV Prospect No.2 and confirmed entry - An Aussie lad with a Pommy accent, hauled from coalmine, fed red cordial and set loose upon t' world on a very quick Honda CRF450 - possibly the R or maybe the X model...not sure, but he's a funny bugger and can ride faster than me, I suspect. Goes by "nry" here (Too lazy to capitalise it, apparently) and known to his mum as Neil. Seems a little unstable. Will hide the sharp knives around the rally camp, if further analysis deems it necessary. I expect a top 10 finish from him. Nothing less or he's out the team. Edit - for the rally nerds (lookin at you, Troy, amongst others..) boofheads bike is apparently an ex-GHR Safari bike. Built from cardboard and playdough (or something). Wears a koala bear "onesie" while riding, to stand out from the herd.

Usual Supect No. 3 - Neil's mate, Matt. I first met him when he pulled into our Day 2 Condo Rally service point number 2. He pulled up looking lost and hungry. Fed and rested, he took off for the next stage while leaving his camelbak and tool kit behind. His own late arriving pit crew looked entertained as they hurriedly packed and took off after him to give it back. Obviously quick, he shows great potential. He rides a motorbike..I think it was a Yamaha WR450...I could be wrong. Edit - I am. He's racing a KTM 350. Yes, really!

New Chum No.4 and eager, inmate "Geoz" or HG to his mates. Apparently press-ganged into the team while his defences were down, post Condo750 race. Alcohol is probably involved in this incident....no great undertaking usually starts out while clear thinking and sober. Riding a 250, I believe. Doesn't really let on much about himself.

<STRIKE>Chief Mechanic and volunteer No.1 - inmate "KASUYAHO", possibly not as Japanese as his user name would suggest, he's shown keen interest to join the team. I've tried to warn him of how completely unprofessional the team is likely to be. So far he hasn't put me on "ignore".</STRIKE> (At this stage, OUT until possible future notice, if his planets align later in the year) Edit - Possibly back in, planets aligning correctly, as a rider! Excellent. Has done this stuff before, I believe on an XR650R.

<STRIKE>Confirmed & entered rider, inmate "Tedb" aka Ted (as in "Roo") a Broken Hill lad and bloody gloveless riding legend, who I became a good drinking and riding partner in crime with during last years Oz Safari Adventure Tour. Ted rides a KTM690. Fast. He now has a KTM500 based rally machine. Likely to finish very well on the new machine.</STRIKE> Out of our team but still in the event. A bloody shame but my liver will be better for it. Good luck mate.

<STRIKE>Ted's team mate and fellow 2013 Safari ADV Tour rider, Cassar - a bloody top bloke and handy on the tools, riding another KTM500 based rally machine (replacing his tough as boots old 520EXC from last year). I first met this bloke while trying to sort an electrical issue with my temperature guage on my newly rebuilt Super Tenere the day before the 2013 Safari was going to kick off. He was an insistent bloke, keen to help me out - I was a bit stressed and almost told him to "Piss off" but I held my tongue and listened to what he had to say - he was bloody right and I'm pleased to say his friendship is truly valued. He's quick but merciless on a bike.</STRIKE> Sadly out due to earlier arrangements taking priority.

<STRIKE>Ted's second team mate, David, riding a KTM500. Yes, there's been another team merge along the lines of Neil/Matt/HG. The monster grows. Welcome mate. Post up here if you're an ADV inmate.</STRIKE> Out.

Confirmed Service Crew Member, rally guru and Team F5 member "Tehdutchie", Antal - another 2013 Oz Safari ADV Tour mate. Will be a highly valued team member, if he can get to this years event from the other side of the planet. He will become chief herder of the "cahns" when all around go into panic mode. :clap

ADVrider F5er and Safari regular, Pete "2Volts" is joining us from his WA lair. He's offered a 4wd ute as the second service vehicle. Pete rides a WR450 that he's refining into a strong rally machine. Plus he's a confirmed entry. Really excellent to have another of the 2013 Safari ADV Tour crew join the team. :clap
    New inclusion - Donat (Okedoke here on ADVrider) is one of our official support crew members, taking photos and being media and internet savvy, he'll be hopefully able to update team news and broadcast some great stuff to keep everyone updated. I'm hopeless at it, so I'm really pleased to have him onboard, especially if we can get some daily GoPro footage happening, internet connections willing.

Another new team member - Ben, Matt's brother! He'll join us as a highly valued Service Crew member. Looking forward to being an integral part of the team. Knows how to motivate his brother into fighting mode.

Plus one more - Bowe, a good mate of 2Volts Pete. Bowe is a rally fanatic and actually spent his last holidays following the Dakar Rally by motorbike. He'll be another highly valued Service Crew member. Bowe's also offering his 4wd ute as a Service intercept vehicle. Really looking forward to some stories around the bivouac each night.

And most importantly, our very own "Chef de Campaign", Jeremy, who is replacing previous Chef, Sven (due to new contract obligations that cause a time conflict.). He's highly experienced and keen as hell. Plus he loves riding, so he's as keen as mustard to join us in what will be an awesome event.

Latest Service Crew member and bloody Top Bloke, inmate here Bully01 - a mechanial and engineering wizard who rides anything from a sidecar outfit to a new Husky 630. Bully comes into the team providing an abundance of local knowledge, Safari course experience and multi-skilled talent. He's a very welcome addition to what has become an excellent Service and Support Crew to a broad and talented rider group.

The seventh and final Service/Support Team Member is the highly talented Ian Drysdale of Drysdale V8 motorcycle fame..His inclusion into the team is a very welcome boost to our numbers and skills base. Ian brings many years of Safari and adventure riding experience with him, having previously ridden in the moto class of a recent Safari and managed a Quad racing team in last years event. Here to be part of the final celebratory WA Safari event, Ian is the icing on the team cake.

So, that's a bit about the Team. I'm hoping over the next several months leading up to this September event, these guys and others within the ADV community will join us in making this a fantastic rally raiding team, which with unity and co-operation will come strength and solid results. We still need to sort a fair bit to make this happen, so this thread seems like as good a place as any to make a start.
    So go to it lads, post up, join in, show & tell time begins....now.
    I'll update this team list as it changes here in this first post.
    :freaky:p3rry:lol3

Team Riders -

Richard "Dusty" Carr, race number 22, 1994 Honda XR600R - Class 1.3 Stock Production

"Chainsaw" Dave Winterburn, race number 47, 2011 KTM 450exc with Rally moto Kit - Class 2.2 Production Moto

Neil Orme, race number 34, Honda CRF450X - Class 2.2 Production

Pete "2Volts" Booth, race number 56, Yamaha WR450F - Class M2.2 Production

Matt "Boots" Bates, race number 20, KTM350EXC - Class M2.2 Production

Hans "HG" Zorn, race number 87, KTM EXC 250 F, Class M2.1 Production
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chief herder and beer carrier is in!
  4. sequent

sequent South Australia's own....

Oddometer:
    Will the team have medical support - my ribs still haven't knitted back together following my altercation with a gate at Condo!

This is going to be fun!!! Work is a bit hectic at the moment, but between Dusty and myself, we'll post up details of our plans, logistics etc associated with this years Safari as time goes on. I know that doing a Safari takes a significant commitment in time and money, but if you're at all interested in giving it a go, get in touch!

Oh, and I want orange team shirts... :deal
  5. chasbo

chasbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 IN!!
  6. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I think Matt was planning on running his KTM 350 EXC at Safari.

Good luck fellas, wish I could be there but things just didn't line up this year.

If any member of 'Oz Safari Team ADV' need something of the carbon fibre variety made let me know, we might be able to workout something mutually beneficial...:D

Cheers,
    Michael
  7. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, Michael. Appreciate the offer. I'm sure someone will need your services. Do you work in alloy as well? I'll be looking for a 2 litre water tank and possible lhs heck style fuel tank for my machine. I'll do some cardboard mock ups first before anything else. Am still looking for a decent 91 to 94 XR600R to possibly replace the old Super Tenere.
  8. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Here's the current machine, a 1990 Yamaha Super Tenere XTZ750, now fitted with an 802cc top end. She's also been developed with chassis and suspension modifications, puting me into the Super Production class, with all the fast guys on there 450Rally Replicas. Not a great class to be competitive in on a machine weighing 250 kilograms = 550 pounds wet weight with 31 litres of fuel. She's a lot of fun at speed and a very stable platform, except in slow, deep sand, where she wallows like a pig.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Photo credit - Inmate "Sylvia"

[​IMG]
    A stock standard (well mostly:D) XR600R would see me on a machine half the weight, in the stock M1.3 Production Class - a far less popular Safari class and therefore a better bet for my trophy hunting arse to see a good return on the cost of entering the Safari this year. I'll just have to see if I can find a clean, stock example locally and see how I like riding it at speed.
  9. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is cahns?
  10. geoz

geoz Orange rules

Oddometer:
    I remember the work you do from last year.
    Do you make stuff for other bikes as well? I may need a few bits. :-)

cheers hg
  11. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    "What is cahns? "

I was going to use "cats" but by the time these cahns (say it aloud and then think of a rude word that sounds similar) get organised, the race'll be over.
    This might help explain it...Fred Gassit, Australian Motorcycling Legend...
    Go here. It's an education.
  12. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Sundowner, i did not put you on ignore :lol3
    It was just your PM was that long by the time i got to the end of it i forgot
    what you said at the start.

Even thou i do like to have a play around in the shed on my bike and help others out with there bike time permitting, and with my limited knowledge of motorcycles and naturally women, which i have learn't over time both can give you a lot of trouble if not well maintained.

My reason for the initial PM was in regards to actually riding in the event being the " Australian Safari" which to be honest i have been trying to do for well around roughly 8 years.
    But due to the factor being the X of the W factor being an absolute not playing nice in that period of " want to go in Safari time frame " then i could not do it.

SO: Seeing that i now have JR burger to raise and put through a higher education, and a GF in PI.
    And looking at a different employment opportunity in a couple of months
    i myself can not say that i can do this event 100%.

BUT, in saying that if everything goes to plan when the event is being held i should be able to jump on board to ride the event if the
    "Team ADV" could accommodate myself and the olde BRP.
    And yes i would give helping other guys maintain there bikes and work as a team to hopefully get everyone over the line.
    Then we get on the Piss and shoot the shit about,
    " and it went like this ".
  13. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    Watdesay...!?!? :lol3

14. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't do much in alloy (no welding anyway) but if you shape something in cardboard or wood (I like to use that 3mm mdf) I can do it in carbon, fuel tanks included.

Of course! Shoot me a PM.
  15. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    Exactly! I think he's saying he's out until he's in, which is perfectly logical.

And so the herding begins. :fpalm I have a headache coming on.

So we need two more Service Crew members, preferably one of whom is mechanically minded, a Cook/Chef to feed the team, a Physiotherapist or Massage Therapist, a second service vehicle (possibly even a hire pantech truck (light or medium rigid body size) to cart everyone's crap) and a Team Manager (Bert :evil), as Ted's bought a new KTM500 and is joining the team as a rider. :clap We also have two more riders, Cassa also on a KTM500 and David on, yep, a KTM500. The spares box should be a neat thing between them.
    Any Internationals keen to ride the 2014 Australasian Safari? Ryan, you keen again?
  16. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Hmmm I'd like to join your team but I cannot, I've formed my own team just now and I'm calling it Team Hellman Viking.
    I'm also imposing a Malle moto type race on myself so no one is allowed to touch or even look at my bike. I can take two boxes ....so I shall take one.. And it will be empty.
    At the moment I have no boxes if anyone wants to get me one from Decathalon in Europe that would be a start.

Michael you should come even if only to not touch or look at my bike. (Just laugh at me).
    I need some bits too.

[​IMG]

My bike as it has been for the last year give or take. The nav bracket is a composite of plasticine and cardboard I'm a big fan of these materials.. and straws.

Top ten finish should be easy because I have created a small class in my mind and I'm pretty much the only one in it.

Must go, just noticed my daughters shoes (in the picture) I need to polish them for school tomorrow !
  17. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    :lol3 You're not escaping that easily.
    Is the hover bike an X or an R?
    And what's Okidoke doing? Can you ask him to post some of his Condo pics here of the Team members in action?

Big news as well - another Team member just joined....
    ADVrider F5er and Safari regular, Pete "2Volts" is joining us from his WA lair. He's offered a 4wd ute as the second service vehicle. Pete rides a WR450 that he's refining into a strong rally machine. Plus he's a confirmed entry. Really excellent to have another of the 2013 Safari ADV Tour crew join the team. :clap It's like old home week. :webers
  18. 2volts

2volts Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer:
    Putting the early bird entry in was the easy bit. Like one step over the line. Now it seems like I've jumped right in. Anyway, it's all go from here.

pete
  19. Sundowner

Sundowner Extended Play

Oddometer:
    It's a scary first step, handing over the first thousand, isn't it mate? Like committing to an arranged marriage. :huh
  20. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just trying to out do Troy in the waffle on :lol3