One end of the line to the other, Key West to Deadhorse on a Versys

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XC Rider, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Spoke

Spoke Wing Ding Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurkSubscribed!

Ride On Brotha!
  2. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts.

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to reading your RR. Like you I decided to buy a Versys for a "bucket list" long ride. I'm traveling from South Carolina to New Mexico and then on to Montana. Plan to leave after July 4th and spend about a month traveling.
  3. PsychoSayWhat

PsychoSayWhat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In! Good luck and ride safe!

:lurk
  4. stitchergary

stitchergary Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had the Versys on my radar for a couple years...Looking forward to this ride report....Stay safe!!
    Gary-In a Little Town in Northern NY
  5. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in!
  6. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hi Bob! :wave So glad you found this RR. Don't know how far into CA I'll go on this trip, but I am planning on swinging down into CA to atleast check out Lassen Volcanic park on the return leg. It's always been closed when I've been out that way and this time I'm determined to make it more than half a mile into the park! :D However, after my Alaska run, I plan on re-running the TAT and my dad will be riding along with me. So who knows, we may meet up then. Just in case we don't get to meet up, all the best to you and Rita.

That would be awesome Michael! Say.....what are you doing in August!? :wink:

Good deal my friend, if you've never been out that way you'll have a blast! PS, I live in Columbia for a while and my oldest brother used to live just outside Charleston (Mt. Pleasant). Small world isn't it!?
  7. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    This weekend was a busy one, what with final preparations for the trip. Sunday was an especially rough day, with some heavy duty prep work for the upcoming trip. Here, just take a look for yourself! :1drink

[​IMG]

That's me on the right, toasting everyone! :beer

[​IMG]

And friends on the boat that came out with me.

[​IMG]

No the boat is not mine, I'm not that lucky. Just lucky enough to have friends that invite me along. Thanks Steve, I'll be thinking of this day when I'm freezing my cahones off, going over Atigun pass on the way to Deadhorse! :thumb

For those who are interested, these pics were taken at Boca Grande. A small key just a little west of Key West.

Well now I got to get back to being serious. Today's goal is to fully pack up all my belongings. Less than 48 hours until departure time!!!
  8. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply there hppyfngy, but here goes. These are just screen shots from Mapsource where I layed out the route.

[​IMG]

The northern route is the route going, and the southern route is the return route.

[​IMG]

The eastern route is the route going, and the western route is the return route.

[​IMG]

In these last two pictures is gets a little screwy but here's the main gist. From Watson lake I plan on riding to Dawson City. From Dawson I'll do a one way up the Dempster to Inuvik and back. I'll then head to Fairbanks by way of Chicken and Tok. Then Onto Deadhorse and back to Fairbanks. On the return I'll then head south from Fairbanks and swing by Denali National park and back to Tok. From there the southernly route back to Watson Lake again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I have enough energy while on the road, and I remember to do so, I'll try to save my tracks and post pics of the route.
  9. danh600

danh600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Denis

Been looking forward to reading this report since you told me about it this winter when I met you down in Flamingo camping. I like the changes you made to the bike since then.

We are headed down to the Keys in the next month or so, but you will be long gone by then. I am sure you are ready. You have to be a little stir crazy being a rider and living in the Keys.

Have fun on the trip. It sounds great!!!

Dan
  10. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Denis!! Glad to see your plans held together and you are starting. Nice job on the bike. If you get a late start on Wednesday give me a shout(pm'd phone number) and I will buy a beer and burger in Homestead as you come through!!!

My adventure starts in 25 days!!! Lots of Florida folks headed to AK this year!!
  11. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Looking forward to this one.

I've seen on the news that there is lots of flooding going on up in the north central part of the country... do you think any of that is going to impact your route?
  12. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Denis always has a back up plan :huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Pflum

Pflum Throttle Junkie

Oddometer:
    This will be an awesome trip, we rode up to Deadhorse last July.
    Are you coming back on the Cassiar? If so, make sure to check out Telegraph Creek in Dease Lake, B.C. It's a 70 mile, dead end gravel road with some of the best scenery we saw on the entire trip. Definitely worth the half day or so it takes to ride it. Have fun and safe travels!
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    damn, ya absolutely positive that will work? looks dangerous.

nice setup on the bike. safe travels.
  15. BOBaloo22

BOBaloo22 Tony & Catnis

Oddometer:
    Today is the day! Vaya Con Dios Brother! Stay safe and can't wait to see your RR. :clap
    Bob
  16. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    Alright, got a lot of posts to respond to, and I'm doing my final load of laundry this morning before my dad gets in and we have to pack up my truck, so here goes.

Hiya Dan! How's that Shadow treating you? Too bad we'll be missing each other when you come to the keys. Thanks for the kind words about the bike; it has taken a little transformation since you last saw it! :D

Thanks for the invite, but I'm more than likely get an early start tomorrow morning; I'm just so damn excited! I don't know if I'll be able to fall asleep tonight! Instead, how 'bout you keep an eye on my RR for when you hit the road at the end of the month. Maybe we can meet up for a brew somewhere up north!? :beer

Hmmm.....hadn't heard about flooding. Like Airborndad said though, I'll come up with something. Who knows, sometimes when you have to detour you see the coolest things!

QUOTE=Pflum;16100886]This will be an awesome trip, we rode up to Deadhorse last July.
    Are you coming back on the Cassiar? If so, make sure to check out Telegraph Creek in Dease Lake, B.C. It's a 70 mile, dead end gravel road with some of the best scenery we saw on the entire trip. Definitely worth the half day or so it takes to ride it. Have fun and safe travels![/QUOTE]

I will be! Dease lake is right on my return route. I've now put a waypoint there and will be sure to check it out. Thanks for the tip! :thumb

PS. Anyone else that has any other tips like this PLEASE let me know! Thank you! :D

You know, now that you mention it, I am starting to worry a little bit. After all, people have warned me that the guy who told me it would be safe to do this is a bit of a nut job! :loco

Just kiddin'! Thanks a lot for all the advice and tips in my prep work for this trip JD, I greatly appreciate it!

Bob my good man!!! Thanks for the well wishes. Hope all is well in VA. We'll have to get together when I get back to VA in late July/early August.

Alright, now back to laundry, and then packing up the truck. Less than 24 hrs 'till take off!!!
  17. agstacker

agstacker Rider

Oddometer:
    Dennis the bike looks great, you definitely know how to prep a bike for a long trip, sense looking at your DRZ at Laurel Fork I've been working to get mine ready for a fall trip. Have a safe trip I'll be following your RR. :D<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  18. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    As always, so well thought out and expressed. :getiton

May God's hands be on the handlebars along with yours, Denis. :pope
  19. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words; I like to think that I've done my homework. :D
    Where you thinking of going in the fall? I'll be looking forward to a ride report! :deal

Thank you George. Having the big guy upstairs keeping an eye on me can only help.
  20. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I've gone ahead and added the tracking option to my Spot Tracker at the behest of my dad. So here's the link to my SPOT.

Damn, now I won't be able to hide anymore! :hide :lol3
    Just kidding. This is always good for when trying to meet up with other riders. This way they can look up and see where you are.

If you open up this page though before tomorrow morning when I get on the road you won't see nothing though as I haven't left Key West yet.

LESS THAN 12 HOURS 'TILL TAKE OFF!!!

Alright, now to try and get to bed.

PS. I've also added my SPOT page into my signature line.