P-run Solo, 2012 Baja 1000

Discussion in 'Racing' started by cross-country, Aug 28, 2012.

1. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Or, El Fiasco de la Grande, as I like to call it.

This has been a few months in the making. I've had a lot of help, much of it from this community.
    I have always wanted to do a Peninsula run solo, but in the past something has always come up. Be it another team needing a rider, one of my buddies putting a team together, other commitments in life outside racing, or just general laziness. Well, this year the phone didn't ring, I've got nothing going on in my life, and I committed before the laziness set in. Now it's too late.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I really blame Frog for this mess. I was talking to him on the phone one day this spring, he was telling me that he was going to solo. No surprise the guy is an animal. A few minutes later when I hung up I realized I had just told him "yeah, good idea bro, me too!" <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    It was too late to back out, to do so now would be to admit defeat, to lose face. The only sensible thing I could do now is train, spend thousands of dollars and pretend I'm excited about it all. Put on my tough guy face and my big boy pants.<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
  2. Cornbread82

Cornbread82 Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer:
    Tony my old eyes why the black text???:D Good luck man, are you running the 450 and under sportsman?

Brett
  3. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Haha, thanks Brett. Fixed, I think.

I am running Class 20 (Pro Motorcycle, Under 400cc), most likely. It's not set in stone yet, but I have some points in the class. I though I would ride a 2012 350 XC-f
  4. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    To get started even considering this having enough good support was crucial. This is usually the hardest part of running a Score race. It is a big commitment for a guy who is volunteering his time and money to go down and help someone else compete.

Thanks Guys!:freaky

As of now it looks like we will have a good group going down, my buddy Monte and his son from NM were the first on board. Monte and his son Garrett have both raced in Baja (Garrett was on my team for the 500 this year and killed it, especially for an 18 y.o.). Before I even had to ask inmates Wannbeeuro and Windman were on board. Also going is another inmate although at the moment I can't remember his name. Pablo something?

Monte, Garret, on the left side of the picture, from this years 500
    [​IMG]
  5. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Really looking forward to this Tony.
  6. AirborneAndy

AirborneAndy Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Way to go :lol3... good luck. :lurk
  7. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Got in some high altitude training near Telluride this weekend.

[​IMG]

An indication of the average grade we would be seeing.
    [​IMG]

I know it doesn't look like much but this trail was an ass kicker.
    [​IMG]

We did only about 50 miles of trail but it was a gnarly loop designed by a local maniac to do exactly what it did, beat me into the ground.

[​IMG]
    :lol3
  8. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like heaven there.

Now drop about 9000 feet of elevation and find some cactus and rocks, then wick that throttle up to about 90mph. Not a lot of that alpine single track stuff in Baja..:1drink

Just a bit of jealousy here looking at those wonderful San Juan vistas. All kidding aside, any amount of time you can spend in the saddle certainly helps with preparation for such an undertaking. We'll be following along with your undertaking,Good luck in Baja!!
  9. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Nice!! Team GFR !!
  10. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    I know, but it is nice and cool up there, and the season for these trails is short. I just tell myself that training at high altitude will be good for me, it's a hell of an exercise!
  11. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Grand Funk Railroad?
  12. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    I'm about to fire this lump off to Thumper Racing to let Travis do his work. I should have it back on a week or so with a bigger hole in the middle.

[​IMG]
  13. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Grand fiasco Racing
  14. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  15. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I want credit for "training"!! I don't want credit if you hurt yourself between now and then...:lol3

Really looking forward to following along TG!! :clap
  16. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Right.
    You get "credit" for getting me out training
    You get "blamed" if I hurt myself during training
    :1drink

You also get blamed for running me into the ground so bad that I leave an Arai helmet at the trailhead. :cry

OK, I'll take the blame on that one.:lol3
  17. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Need an update....we never talk anymore.. Howz it all going TG? Tyko said you seemed a little slow on your ride last weekend.:lol3 Got the new motor in yet?
  18. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hows the 390 build coming?
  19. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Well I just sent it off this week so It will be a while before I get it back.
    I decided that it I am going to put the Big Bore motor in the XCF-w chassis. It will be easier since that chasiss has the correct wiring harness for the 196watt charging system already in it.

I was wanting to use the linkage suspension for the race but it's not worth the time and effort for me to try to get that done, at least not for now.

I got a suspension sponsor so both bikes will get the full works suspension wise. That will be nice in case I change my mind later.

I'm hoping to do some light testing/ night practice this weekend. We just got alot of rain and it's supposed to be realy nice weather this weekend so the conditions should be perfect.

The first thing I want to try is two 8" spots and one Squadron, then check the charging system to see if it is keeping up.
  20. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not only did I keep my yap shut I totally forgot about this.

:freaky:lurk