Fun With Carbon Fiber

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by therivermonster, Sep 22, 2012.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    check out the awesome lid. its a skyline, not 'the sky is falling'.
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your correct, as my opinion on the matter. I would like it to stay as such.

3. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    I just stumbled into this. GREAT thread. Being a DIY guy also, I'll probably give this a whirl too. Great job by the way.
  4. therivermonster

therivermonster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :d
  5. therivermonster

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Danjal! When you get your project started, post some pics of it in this thread if you want. It's always fun to see other peoples projects. Of course if you have any questions, post those up too!
  6. Danjal

Danjal Insert wit here.

Oddometer:
    Its going to be a while. I have 7-8 weld projects going on, quite a few gun builds, refinishing, a dr650 to finish farkles on, and a place to manage. I'll probably try making some CF panels for the 650 when I get to it.

Just a PS. The writeup, links, etc that you added.. amazing. I wish more folks would do this. Im pretty confident by page 10 id have everything down and on my way thanks to your write up.
  7. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    I second that. Been following your thread for a while now. Amazing. So is your art. Really been digg'en this. :clap

BTW, get'em Kyle. :)
  8. therivermonster

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys!
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You and me both... regarding the copyright laws. They are sort of clear ( as mud...:D) and, there are many interpretations of them....even among judges...etc. In the example above. You used a product from a known manufacture.....
    ( Picture on page 19 of this thread. Picture is publicized, on a web forum) The part that you will be defending in the court room, is that A.... you copied their excact shape.... and B....by using their product to enhance your own project, rather than if you bend your own bar. This case is a bit farther out, as compared to say if you covered their plastic. That is a given. BUT...... I guess what I am eluding to here, is, you are exposing yourself.... Perhaps the most, by publically announcing that you used their product to enhance your own, by publishing it on a WWW forum. Key word on the latter part. Now.... would they ever come after you.... properly not..... They might just look at hiring you instead, as you clearly have proved to them, that you are a go getter...:clap:clap. So rather than turning this great thread into copyright thread, I will just close with the following advise. Try at all costs to make it all from scratch.... even if that means you buy an aluminum rod, and bend it to the same shape as the one used. I know you can do this. If you feel there are no way around this..... Cover the logo......:D:lol3:wink:. You follow the above.... your safe. Great job amigo.:freaky:freaky
  10. therivermonster

Oddometer:
    I had been thinking of upgrading the resin catch/degass pot for a little while now, and bomber1965's post drew the final line.

Harbor Freight to the rescue! Doesn't HF always come to the rescue?

I picked up their 2.5 gallon pressure pot used for spray painting.

I replaced the spray fittings with brass fittings to work with my current vacuum system.

I love it. It's heavier down low so it doesn't want to tip at all. It's easy to quickly seal, so degassing resin will be a sinch, there is lots of room inside which is good for degassing resin, and now the vacuum gauge is mounted in a much better place.

If you get into resin infusion and you are looking for a good quality, affordable catch/degassing pot look no further.

[​IMG]

Now we just need to make some projects with it.

Stay tuned...
  11. therivermonster

Oddometer:

Thanks again Earling!
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    As allways, your welcome...... your future is bright.:clap
  13. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
  14. therivermonster

Oddometer:
    You have some nice looking nails there, beech! :)
  15. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    therivermonster's step by step and molds reminded me of this video posted on ADVrider years ago.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dX5KxUm0Pf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  16. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    ebrabaek, don't mean to be argumentative, but think you're way off-base here. therivermonster has nothing to fear. He's making/selling a complimentary product; an alternative (upgrade) to Moose's plastic handguards. There's nothing wrong with designing something to be compatible with another company's products. That's what the whole aftermarket is based on, in this industry and many others.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Agreed. That would be like a manufacturer trying to horn in because you made an aftermarket seat, or new grips.

Jim :brow
  18. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Patents? There's no intellectual property of any kind whatsoever here.
  19. therivermonster

Oddometer:
    There are some very interesting opinions here regarding copyright issues. I don't think that it is a serious issue with the hand guard deflectors, but it is something to keep at the front of anyone's mind when building something to work with another commercially available product.
  20. orgo

orgo Been here awhile

Oddometer: