SV650 ADV info thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by psychsurf, Nov 11, 2007.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    just an update. definitely no tapering of the XT600 forks and they just slid into the SV triple clamps. but the stock SV650 axle did NOT work in the XT forks so just rummaged through a box of axles at the wreckers till i found something that worked.

i did a write up here if anyone is interested in what i'd call an intermediate build, just enough to make the SV650 a reasonable adventure bike but you'd want to avoid anything harder than dirt roads in reasonable condition.

[​IMG]

i don't think it's been mentioned on this thread, but there's a handy chart here comparing all the specs of rear shocks that are apparently suited to the SV650.

and another one here by ohlins. useful if you want to try and find a rear shock with similar length but more stroke to get longer travel on the rear. it covers dirt bikes and road bikes.

OTHER ADVENTURE SV650 BUILDS

just click on the pics below to go to the relevant build threads...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i had some dog bones laser cut so that i could experiment with raising the rear of the SV650 either or two inches. i'm messing around with both settings and hard to decide which is best as the XT600 forks don't have a lot of travel so i'm keeping the front end lower than if i'd got a good set of upside forks fitted with 12 inches of travel.

it was going to cost the same to get one pair or several done due to minimum order requirements they have.

so if anyone is after some cheap adjustable dog bones at $30 plus postage i set up a page here.

[​IMG]
  3. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

a lot of good info in this thread. i'm currently working on some sort of skid plate, more of a rock deflector really. high speed gravel was pinging the oil filter and case pretty good.

also, this thread needs a video. old guys, turn the sound off, you probably won't like the music!

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/50870589" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
  5. Rich667

Rich667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does anyone know the actual weight of a sv650 motor? as many of you are, I am looking to build a twin adventure bike and Im looking for the lightest motor to start with. I will probably end up building a frame or hacking a preexisting one up to the point that its no longer recognizable. I have been leaning towards the ever popular ninja 650 due to the more compact layout but I figured it I should look into the sv also.
  6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    don't know the weight of the SV engine but she's definitely a big lump of metal and an awkward shape to get a frame around.

i figure you'd also include the kawasaki versys in that case? lot closer to an adv bike already and would mostly need suspension upgrades. from memory the kwaka engine has about 10hp less but still got good midrange which is what counts in an adv bike.
  7. Rich667

Rich667 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    either or, I will probably look for a wrecked bike so i will take whatever 650 I can find. I may just buy a motor if I can find a decent deal and use my ex 500 frame so I have a titled bike and just build a frame around the motor. I built a 500 based cafe/streetfighter and now I have the old frame sitting around. I considered just getting another 500 motor since they're so cheap and plentiful and doing something similar to the webber bikes. the extra power and FI would be nice though :clap
  8. Frey

Frey motocrossdresser

Oddometer:
    Hey there, following this thread with great interest. It seems the biggest obstacle that hasn't been fully documented is the rear shock. What we're looking for is 7-10" Travel. What makes this more difficult it's the first and second gen SV have different shock lengths and presumably linkage ratios (the amount of leverage put on the shock). Because of the differenct ratios, its not as simple as just putting a longer shock from another bike.

I have done some googling and haven't found the ratios for each bike, the first gen shock is about 338mm and 80mm in diameter. Since the rear cylinder header goes through the swing arm and just past the shock, the diameter is pretty important. I know that lots of road and street racers go up to as much as 352mm shock length.

This is total shock length and not travel length...

I also read a second gen SV adv build where he made his own lingage (link and dogbones) and shared the files to achieve longer travel. This would be great for those with a second gen SV.

I know I don't have many answers I'm just trying to address what I see as the main obstacle to this build and if we could combine forces and get some real data here...

Stock shock length of First and Second Gen SV
    Max shock length of First and Secong Gen SV with Stock Linkage
    Max shock width of First and Second Gen SV to clear everything
    Suspension Leverage Ratio for First and Second Gen

With this info I'm pretty sure we'd be able to come up with a list of other shocks that could work like KLR, DR350, DR650, KTM950, or even an MX shock with a heavier spring etc.. These would be OEM take off swaps and so they wouldn't work as well as aftermarket like Penske or Ohlins... Has anyone gone as far as to get a custom shock made? For $500-$1000 for a shock, this is pretty pricy but to get one that is perfectly dialed in for your SV, your weight, and with 7-10" travel might just be worth it

Whatever you do, it's probably gonna need new springs and I assume new valves. Sorry kind of a newb when it comes to this and trying to wrap my head around suspension using google and reading forums.

Thanks for the inspiration guys