Farkles, farkles, farkles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by khale, Oct 9, 2013.

1. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    I'm almost positive this will not be a popular thread.

Why do so many folks feel the need to 'farkle' their bikes. I'm just browsing Touratech's site and I'm looking at these prices just scratching my head. People are paying absorbent amounts of money to dress up their bikes and these aftermarket companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

Everyone knows having farkles doesn't help re-sale value (maybe it will help make a sale).

Personally, I'd rather save the money and invest it in a trip, or put it towards more long term goals such as retirement. I also use the money to use on camping/hiking gear that will have a real usable value, rather than an aesthetic quality.

Before people chime in defending farkles, I do know a lot of them serve a utilitarian purpose, such as wider foot pegs, PIAA lights for more visibility on the road for oncoming traffic, etc. People that are firm believers in farkling, do you try to buy farkles used first, to offset the jaw dropping sticker retail price?

So my question is, why do you farkle?
  2. seatec

seatec Dutch Transplant

Oddometer:
    Because I can and want to. I also don't really care what other people thing about my farkles. As long as I can look at my GS while enjoying a latte at the local Starbucks. I also feel quite good about keeping other people occupied machining and manufacturing the farkles I buy so they can afford to pay for their hobbies.
  3. chriselgui

chriselgui Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I personally only do it for necessity/comfort, I'm looking at a more comfortable seat and then I'm going to make some panniers out of ammo cans (so I don't have to carry a backpack).
  4. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually only buy farkles that serve a purpose, like carrying extra gas up the Dalton Highway, which if you don't have the GSA is needed if you want to get to Prudhoe Bay and back.

if I can't find what I'm looking for I make it, the luxury of having access to a machine shop 24/7.
  5. foggy50361

foggy50361 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I assume that you live in a home that has walls, soft furnishings etc. etc. etc. Have you changed the colour of the walls of the cushions on your sofa, cause if your have you’ve FARKLED. We all FARKLE to personalise what we own, why wouldn’t you raise the handlebars because you’re tall to save yourself a bad back! Levels of FARKLE are determined by your skill levels and who you know.
  6. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    Everybody is in a different financial state, some of us have enough money to be able to afford what we want without much constraint while others have to more tightly budget their purchases.
    With that said, I rarely buy items that have only eyeball appeal like LED accent lights and stripe kits for wheels etc, I don't want the bike too gaudy, but I'll be the first to buy things like the Nav-V, crash bars, $300 BMW foot pegs (my favorite item yet), radiator protectors and such.
    I thank the lord for my wives chosen profession each and every day.
  7. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    My GS came pre-farkled compliments of the previous owner. Didn't leave me a lot of room for more.

Original Farkles by Previous Owner – as of June 2008

Touratech Beak protector
    Oil cooler protector
    Headlight protector
    Parabellum wihdshield
    Laminair lip
    Touratech turn stop
    Crash bars (Touratech I think)
    Cylinder head protectors (sold these)
    Moto fog lights
    PIAA HID driving lights
    MFW Aftermarket mirrors (sold and went back to stock)
    Touratech Cockpit 2/power outlet
    Verholen Instrument Cover
    Spoke wheels
    Brand new Tourances
    Throtlemister
    Lowered 2" Wilber shocks (went back to stock pending getting these rebuilt and lengthened)
    2 skid plates
    3 seats (2 of which I traded for a heated Corbin trio front/back/and rest)
    Handlebar Cross-bar
    Touratech luggage rack
    Serria carbon fiber rear hugger fender
    Strobe/flashing brake light
    Helmet lock
    Lift handle
    Front fender extension
    Bagster Tank protector
    Two Bagster tank bags
    Torx Oil filler cap
    Vario side cases
    Several power outlets (found a new one I'd not noticed before just this weekend)
    Kickstand extension foot
    Brake pedal extension
    Touratech hard parts here, there, and everywhere
    Handguard spoilers
    Fastway pegs
    BMW Chrome muffler
    Elf Hwy pegs (sold these, I'm too tall)
    Handlebar risers (two sets, sold one)
    Carbon fiber gas cap trim

I've added -

Throttle rocker $10
    Hammerhead Shifter sized for my boot - $70
    ROC Straps - $35
    Zumo 450 GPS - $349
    Vario bag liners - $125 T
    Seat Beads - $15
    Coretech Sport Tail Bag - $60
    Horn button Protector - $15
    Cross Bar Pad - $22
    Wunderlich seat guides - $40
    Touratech Under Rack Tail Bag - $45
    Touratech Windshield Spoiler - $90
  8. Desert Skies

Desert Skies One brick shy...

Oddometer:
    My 05 is pretty much farkle free. A few thing that are needed, I added like extra lights, louder horn, throttle lock, safety and comfort things. The rest I leave in the catalogs. The TT stuff kills me, how many have ever broke a gear position potentiometer?
  9. Deanowade

Deanowade Chronic Dumbass Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the same reason I drink beer; I enjoy it.
  10. khale

khale ride dirty

Oddometer:
    I think that's what had me scratching my head and starting this thread. Some of the farkles in the TT catalogue are absolutely ridiculous. To each their own, obviously, I just wanted to know why people invested so much money in seemingly needless stuff. My bike is 100% stock and I don't really see why I would need to change that. It's completely subjective tho.
  11. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ergonomics
  12. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:

That's the rub right there.
    people like to personalize them.
  13. SamRus

SamRus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride year round, so I added things like handguards & heated grips to protect my hands from cold air.

I also added top case on both of my bikes, because it makes the bike much more useful in day-to-day commuting world. You can fit more, and ride longer than if you were carrying all that stuff in a backpack.

So I add farkles purely from practicality standpoint.
  14. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was told by the dealer that unless you added $5-7,000 in farkles within 12 months of the delivery date (GS and GSA, respectively), purchased at the dealer or otherwise documentable with receipts....that the WARRANTY was VOID. :huh

As a matter of fact...I have a file folder labled FARKLES that I bring with me every time I visit the dealer...just in case of an 'audit'.
    Just checked the Excel spreadsheet...the current farkle total is now <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="88"><colgroup><col width="88"></colgroup><tbody><tr height="20"> <td class="xl24" style="height:15.0pt;width:66pt" height="20" width="88"> $8,154.27 </td> </tr></tbody></table><table height="12" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="25"><tbody><tr height="20"><td class="xl24" style="height:15.0pt;width:66pt" height="20" width="88">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>You're sayin'...that isn't true? Ah...jeez.
  15. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I buy anything I see that makes my ride more comfortable and entertains me. I'm trying to figure out how to put a surround sound system on my GS at the moment :1drink
  16. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Functionality for safety and the ease of the ride ...
  17. mamm

mamm < advertise here! >

Oddometer:
    I farkle, therefore I am.
  18. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I try to only buy farkles that serve a purpose, but have been known to get a bit carried away.:lol3 Every single farkle on all my bikes are very very important, and without them, my bikes would be useless!:rofl
  19. LVGS

LVGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Safety, bike protection, ergonomics/comfort, aesthetics, to 'individualize' my bike and because I enjoy tinkering. I have the financial means, time and interest.

Lastly, I think your question and use of the term 'farkles' is too broad; your question implies that anything added to your bike is a waste of money and that the factory got it right the first time. I assume that's not what you had in mind.
  20. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Ich bin ein farkler!