Robby Gordon 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by larryboy, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Cord

Cord Adventurer

Oddometer:

I don't know about the Frenchies, but you got the British bit all wrong. He is extremely well liked over here. :freaky
  2. izom

izom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    i'm sure that all the 'smart' people behind the Dakar are totally with RG.... he brings that brash americana w/him, and is much more fun to watch/listen to than all those understated euros w/their gentlemanly sporting approach.... PHUQUE THAT!!! racin' is about talkin' some shizzit, and then going out there and rubbing their noses in it.... he's running right at the top now, and if he hadn't screwed up, and would finish on the podium, it would mean huge things for the Dakar race, and don't think that that Etienne guy doesn't know it.... you all ever heard of that guy Lance Armstrong?..... Robby gets on the podium, and we're gonna see Speed Energy drinks in every WalMart in America....
  4. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I saw as well.
  5. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave -- you may be right, but talkin shizzit and rubbing your OWN nose in it doesn't do quite the same thing . . . . . .

Perhaps it's a generational thing, but I am more impressed by those who go out, do a great job, smile at the crowd, and don't act like they've invented a cure for cancer (not speaking specifically about RG, now, who certainly does his best) . . . . the dances in the end zone, the soccer players that run around like a toddler after scoring a goal. . . . mfor me, it's the sport, not the entertainment factor . . .

I'd LOVE to see RG on the podium . . . . and, without a couple of bad breaks, he might have done it this year.
  6. Closet Doctor

Closet Doctor Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yes,this is the interview, between 3:00 and 3:30. I might have spoke to soon on next year, but he is saying he wants a Dakar win, and doesn't want to win a bunch of stages then have the aso change the rules on him for being to fast.
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    So according to Kellon's bio from the RDC quote he was "The first American motorcycle rider to win a stage in the Dakar". And if you believe that, then go ahead and believe everything you see and read about Robby too.

Robby has just learned (now that getting the overall race win got away from him so early in the event) that winning stages means nothing. I can't believe it took him this long.
  8. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    yeah, if he steps in it, that just makes him look all the more human... always hate those guys who won't say shit even though they have a mouthful......

and it's definitely an 'old school' thing.... my buddy's an ex-olympic wrestler from back in the day, and hates all the athletes prancing around today.... although he was/is pretty much addicted to pro wrestling.... go figure?....

reality TV is here to stay.... RG could be a star.....
  9. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:

Strong et al, hi!

You point was discussed in the Planet Robby forum too. Here's a quote:

My guess is that who ever wrote up the bio was using a bit of marketing babble by sayind the "Dakar" rally, which as far as I know, is the name of the rally in South America since it's inception. Of course we all think of all of the rallies as the Paris to Dakar Rally.

So yes, as far as the Paris to Dakar Rallies, Kellon was certainly not the first American to win a stage, but perhaps, and I haven't done the research to prove or disprove this, Kellon was the first American to win in the South America Dakar rallies.

Point being, it looks like marketing babble to me.

Am I making sense?

Liz
  10. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sadly, you are right . . .

but there's no crime in not watching ;-}
  11. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I don't follow statistics and I have not desire to go over to the Robby Gordon leg humping forums (too many Kool-aid drinkers). Anything written about Robby Gordon or his team needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Robby is prolly better at self-promotion than he is at driving. Few on Robby's planet would know anything about Dakar until Robby started racing it. Just wait until a couple of cars in the top 10 DNF, you'll get a press release how Robby fights his way into the TOP 10!!!! Spin, spin, spin.
  12. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:

I'm pretty sure Walch never rode the South American Dakar.

Nothing against Kellon at all, I hear he's a great person and a very accomplished rider, but -if memory serves me right- I think he "only" won the final "parade" stage in the 2005 or 2006 Dakar.

Again, I'm in no position to criticize any rider rider who ever started in the Dakar, it's just my head full of useless rally trivia speaking.
  13. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    In the coverage today, he clearly stated that their standing was because of his mistake on stage 4.

He owned it. :thumb
  14. cvlighthouse

cvlighthouse keep it in your pants!

Oddometer:
    Robby Gordon quote:

We'd be third place in the rally

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/us/stage-7/quotes-all.html
  15. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    They quoted his tv statement cleanly. :nod
  16. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure he hasn't raced a South American Dakar on a scooter. He was the co-driver in the 2nd Hummmmbuggy with Ronn Bailey in Africa.
  17. klatelm

klatelm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

with all due respect YOU ARE IN THE RUBBY GORDON LEG HUMPING FORUM. did rubby fire you or something ?
  18. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think he is just cranky in general, ain't nothing wrong with that because he seems to know his shit.
  19. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Can anyone point me to the cockpit extended version video of the flip over?? I've lost it? :scratch
  20. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer: