2015 Africa Twin ADV 1000 to be Unveiled at EICMA!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by TheJRM, Oct 29, 2014.

1. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You just may be right. After all Milan was everyone's first choice on the rumour mill last year when it was announced.

A lot of sarcasm on the what appears now to be numerous threads on the " New Africa Twin " .... as you've probably noticed. :D cheers.
  2. Scoobynut

Scoobynut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've bought at least half a dozen 1st year Japanese cars and bikes, and still own a few of them. This line of thinking simply doesn't apply to most Japanese vehicles. Their development engineering is worlds ahead of European and American development engineering (as opposed to plain old engineering).
  3. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    For my thinking, a lot of these motorcycles like the X-Challenge and Terra failed because they were me too products and because they had very little support or high prices or whatever and in a fairly mature field. There are a ton of 650cc thumpers out there. Pretty much every maker has one and they are designed to last forever pretty much.

And then you have the "more is more" paradigm with everyone junking up bikes with ABS, traction control, multiple mapping, CPUs, etc, etc, etc. But how much actual innovation is there? At least, in anything that is designed to go off road. Not much. 1000cc + semi-offroadable bikes? There are, what, 10? Street only large ADV bikes? Even more.

How many 450cc ADV/Dakar bikes are there? Zero. How many sub 400lb, even sub 450lb, 500cc-700cc twin ADV/Enduro bikes are there? Zero. How many 350-400cc DP bikes are there? Basically zero. How many single cylinder scramblers are there? Zero. How many trail bikes are there? Zero. These kind of bikes used to be HUGE sellers. Probably sold so well that the used market alone handled the demand. But not anymore. Most of these bikes are now 30-40 years old.

Anyway, a 1000cc Africa Twin is either going to go up against bikes like the Super Tenere/BMW or the KTM 1050/BMW 800GS, but they had the opportunity to rebuild the under 800cc category of true DP twins and own it. The fact that they've made it 1000cc, IMO, just means they were planning on screwing this up from the beginning. They could have built a 650cc-750cc twin that weighed under 400lbs if they wanted. Whatever it is, it will probably be a decent machine, but I don't think it's going to be ground breaking, let alone rule the class. This isn't the Honda of the 80s. Playing it safe is what they do.
  4. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    Very true. Except I had to pay for it the first time it went out. Nice little $800 bill here at Vegas BMW....
  5. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:

.....unless you want to be a beta tester. :rofl

Paul
  6. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
  7. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    You never had the chance to buy the Varedaro or CrossTourer or CrossRunner and because you live in the USA, you're not likely to get that chance with this bike either. If you do the expensive and time consuming dance to bring one into the USA, you'll end up with a bike that has no dealer support. HONDA can kiss my US of A butt!
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    glass half empty all the time in your world?
  9. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    5 days 2 go. I can't prommisse to make no sarcastic replies to the sarcastic postings here... ;) I will try to be gentle.
  10. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:

Glass is very full, I'd have to sell bikes to buy a new Honda model. But that is historically inaccurate although I did see your encouraging post in the other thread. Experience with the afore mentioned Varedaro, Cross Tourer and Runner does not support a thesis that the USA will get this bike. And who can explain patent attorney's? My counter point might be that USA patents are more extendable to international product names. Doesn't mean US grunts will get the bike.
  11. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    500 pounds without motor, tires, fenders, tank, saddle, fuel, liquids, oil and headlight. Curb weight will be closer to 600 pounds.
  12. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:

:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3 That's a good one!! 3x for me!! But they did send a letter telling all the owners they have extended the warranty on these fuel strips for 12years......

BTW, I hope Honda does come out with an A.T.......and that it's BADASS!:clap
  13. TheJRM

TheJRM HEY YOU GUYS!!!

Oddometer:
    Well, the internet rumors all speculated that the new AT would weigh in close to 400 lbs. Not sure how that's possible with a 1000 CC bike, but we'll see.

I agree with you though: I WISH there was something out there (in the US) that landed in that 400 - 600cc range that:

1. Weighed closer to 400 lbs wet

2. Offered the necessary protection for long stints on the HWY @ 70+ MPH

3. The wheels, suspension and ground clearance to handle true adv riding/touring on more than just gravel/dirt roads

4. Provided you with the range (250+ miles per tank) to get you where you want to go

For what it's worth, I chose my current bike, a CB500x because it offered #s 1, 2 & 4. I absolutely love how nimble and compact the bike is. I love the riding position. I love the fuel economy. But, make no mistake about it, I don't consider it an ADV bike; the bike bottoms out on 6" pot holes on dirt roads when riding @ 20 mph and is nothing more than a street bike in semi-ADV attire.

If the AT fails to deliver (too big/too heavy, etc.) I'm seriously considering seeing what can be done to turn my x into a more off road worthy machine. I know that others are starting to fabricate components that'll make this transformation possible, but it's a shame that Honda, or any of the other manufactures that produce for the US can't just build a bike that hits all of the key components some of us are looking/hoping for in a true mid range/light weight ADV touring bike.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Then buy a CB500X and keep an eye on Rally Raid:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012021

[​IMG]
  15. TheJRM

TheJRM HEY YOU GUYS!!!

Oddometer:
    I have been doing just that! Might have to make those upgrades on my X if (sadly) no one can produce a product that meets the specs I'm looking for in a proper mid weight ADV touring machine!

If the stock suspension didn't suck so badly (on everything but the road), I'd just swap tires and call it good. Unfortunately, the suspension is not the only thing that limits the X (in stock form) to strict road duty.
  16. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here,,,,, hoping the little CB500Xs have terrible resale.:evil
  17. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Get a DR650SE, put on an aftermarket seat, carry 15T/16T front sprockets, a Bajaworx Rallye Windscreen, a 1.75 gallon Rotopax, a 2" PowerMad bar riser, eBay IMS knockoff pegs and you got yourself a 366 pound, haul your ashes around the world machine. And I'm guessing, all for about 1/3 of what Honda may offer IF(?) they come out with a new AT.
  18. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    THIS>:freaky:freaky
  19. Wotsisname

Wotsisname Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm sure they've sent a representative to do just that big man!!!!

PS, is a US of A butt much bigger than an ordinary butt, Butt head?:lol3
  20. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]