How long will a 990adv last???

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by dwj - Donnie, May 20, 2013.

1. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Im curious about that as well.
  2. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Donnie,
    Here is a sidebar from a recent cycle world magazine that should interest you.
    Also,I bet those are not easy miles !!!
    [​IMG]

I for one enjoy hearing about high mileage bikes and riders so keep sharing your experiences for those of us who understand and appreciate them.
  3. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

Thanks! I subscribe to Cycle World and had read that as well! I guess the question is how many dwj miles equals one Jimmy mile! :rofl I would think at a minimum of 2 to 1. :deal My moto will see a lot of 80 MPH plus cruising, but very little time near Red Line. It has probably been at red line in a single gear less that 25 times in the 15,000 miles I have put on it and that was when I first got it!
  4. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    "Had the mc failure three times (now replaced with a radial type from a SD)." Is that one of the master cylinders?

The 990Adv lately appear to have sensitivity on their mc. I installed a ss sleeve and a 9.0mm dia piston from EXC KTM bikes. Works well and feels lighter.
    Cheers.
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! :clap
  6. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    Don't know if this will add any data, but my 06 950 is at about 61k now, it's running better than ever now. I've changed the water pump (once, at around 22k- it's been fine for the last 39k), I've changed the fuel pump (twice, but the second time was just precautionary). Other than that it's just been maintenance, oil changes every 4k, valve checks every 12-15k. And lots of fiddling with the carb to make it run just a little better, and messing with the suspension to make it ride just a bit nicer, but that's just me, it didn't need those things. No clutch problems (I've changed the o-ring as a precaution), no brake problems, no regulator/rectifier problems, stock battery from 06 is still in there, but probably due for retirement this year.
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! You 06 is probably benefiting from the improvement made in production as time passed. One thing seems clear, the power producing part of the engine has never been a problem, just some of the supporting hardware.
  8. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I agree with both of those statements. I do have a friend with an 04 that is in the high 50k miles and a similar number of problems though. He may have had an R/R go south recently though. Anyway, most of these bikes are fairly problem free for a lot of miles. And there's no bike I'd rather be on, so I'd put up with quite a bit more maintenance if I had to.
  9. Deviant666

Deviant666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like I said, my master cylinder was replaced 3 times in 4 years of ownership. The last mc that I put on the bike is from a Super Duke which is of radial design and is supposedly fail proof. So far (after 20k miles) it is...
  10. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Been reading here in orange crush and the ktm info for the past week. Same model and similar mileage to yours. (If anyone recognizes this beast which may have started life in Colorado I'd sure appreciate some history)

[​IMG]

I've ordered the water pump kit. Could have been done recently but not worth risking.

Pyndon will provide the "how" and I've cooked polycarbonate screens in oven before. Wife is getting used to cooking unusual things so the case will be fine. I think...

Clutch slave?

Probably leave this alone. Worst case is push the bike for a bit then jump on and keep riding to get out of trouble. The evoluzione seems to be the deal if I do order.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510502

Voltage regulator?

Link below and it's for a 950. Is this still same regulator? Is it worth getting a spare?

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=10-013H&pmc=MDRLVE05NTBBZHZlbnR1cmU=

Fuel pump.

Didn't like the idea of spending 500 on a maybe problem

Perhaps just found the answer.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850343
  11. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of voltage regulator problem. :eek1 I plan to at least get a fuel filter and the seal for the slave cylinder, plus I already have a fork seal. I haven't decided about the other stuff. I wished Inmate gefr could be sourced for all spares, as he has great prices! :D Having said that, I am more concerned with the space to carry all of the spares than the price! :deal
  12. Trail bandit

Oddometer:
    You know, I nearly started my post with this.
    http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html
    Figured you must have already seen it. Very concise list of problems.

Fuel pump still worries me. Where to source an inexpensive one that is reliable and does it fit both 950 and 990..... I'll trawl for more info but if someone informed could provide facts that would be a huge help.
  13. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks, I have seen your list before and still need to re-torque the Clutch pressure Plates Bolts.

Check out gefr , up in the Orange Crush Flea Market.
  14. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will leave my house, headed for Mexico June 13. After much thinking, I have decided to be on the road in Mexico traveling solo June 15. That will be the two year anniversary of Sheryl's death. :cry I will also be traveling June 16 which is her birthday. Sheryl really loved traveling in Mexico! :d I still think about her every day, those two days will be no different. I will return home approximately July 13.

I still need to do a couple of things to the ADV including re-torque the Clutch Pressure Plates Bolts; decide whether to mount the new front Heidenau Scout before I leave or on the road in another 3,000 miles or so; same with the chain and sprockets. The sprockets still look good and I have not had to adjust the chain since I bought the moto, but when I measure the links the way my Manuel says, they are at the maximum length; and I need to convert the Liability insurance I have on the BMW I sold to full coverage on the KTM.
  15. ADVMax

ADVMax Sporting Foole Supporter

Oddometer:
    Donnie, first of all I would like to appologize for not being able to help you with those cats back when we talked about it, my schedule has been - - - fucked up, no nicer way to put it.

Chain and sprockets - I went with these guys when I re-chained the 950, their "kit" prices were decent - http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php...x-ring-chain-ktm-990-adventure-r-s-05-13.html

The kit I bought had a Stealth rear sprocket but it doesn't look like they offer that now? So far the gold DID chain has been really good, very little stretching etc., it proved to be a good choice. cpmodem had given that particular chain high regards which kind of tilted my choice a bit, I've always said if cp says it works it's a safe bet.

Mileage - I don't know if you remember Hawk or not but at this point he's got well over 100K on his 950 and is still beating the guts out of it.

I sure have missed getting to see you, maybe if you swing back through the southeast sometime this year we can get together.

The only other wisdom I can offer is that it's good that you have spent so much time in Mexico on a KLR and a BMW, the scenery will go by much faster on a KTM! :lol3

Have a good safe ride my friend, can't wait for the pics.
  16. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

No problem about the cats! :deal I buy a lot of tires from Rocky Mountain ATV and saw their Lexx House Brand cans on their website for $399 delivered. For some reason, I clicked on Amazon.com one day and bought them delivered for $287! :eek1 I really like the pipes, barely louder than stock, a few pounds lighter and the main reason, which is why I bought them, much much less heat! I can't tell you how many times I had burned my hand putting the moto on the center stand immediately after stopping, plus much safe for passengers. I have had other motos with cats, but none were as hot as these!

I already have the chain and sprockets. I purchased the DID ZVM-X 525 Super Street Series Chain and JT sprockets. Way more expensive that a FD bearing and seal for the GS! :lol3

Unless something changes, I should start accumulating mileage pretty rapidly. The trip I start in a less than two weeks will add 7,000 plus to the odometer. Crap! I hope that I didn't just offend the two boys from Colorado! :rofl

I passed fairly close to you recently. I delivered a KLX250S I sold to a friend in north Georgia (south of Chattanooga) on the way to pick up a 7X14 cargo trailer in south Georgia. Stop in if you come through north Mississippi! :deal
  17. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    the 950 and we mean carbed lc8 needs much lower pressure and has no room for a plunge fp. A regulator could resolve the pressure difference problem, combined with a return line and a way to sink the pump in fuel in order to cool it. I believe the Dr Bean mod on the original fp is a fairly reliable solution. If your life depends on this, a new fp with DrBean's mod and a small milliage to make sure of its longevity would suffice.

the 990 will need a replacement fp to carry with you, with a filter set to change when needed. The fuel filters are not heavy to pick them up along the way, posted to your hotel. The pump could be squeezed in your luggage. Should run reliably for who knows how long. After that be prepared to replace on the road. Not too difficult but keeping the filters clean should lengthen fp longevity.
    Cheers.
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I am leaving in 11 days and won't have time to receive spares before I leave, but will definitely order when I return. :D Hopefully, with only 20,3?? miles, I won't have a problem on this trip. :huh :lol3 If I do, they can fix anything in Mexico, it may never be the same, but it will run! :D
  19. Trail bandit

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm heading out as well. Not as epic as your trip.

Same problem though..

Thanks Gefr :clap :clap:clap for excellent information.
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

Just curious. :huh Is there any reason that the KTM gas filter will stop up or cause a problem any more than the fuel filter that was in my R1100GS? I know that the R1100GScontinuouslyyrecirculatedd its fuel while I understand the KTM does not. I always carried a spare fuel filter with me on that moto, even though it was usually the filter I had most recently removed as part of regular maintenance on that moto.