Front ESA shock removal on 09 GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by lone shark, Mar 29, 2013.

1. lone shark

lone shark Banned

Oddometer:
    Any advice on how to or not how to remove the front ESA shock on GSA? Got some touratech shocks. I would like to install them myself. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
  2. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    I had to raise the bike up onto a board to get the shock out or get the wheel to lower enuf.
    Used a 2x 10 wide enough for the bike, best to tilt bike to one side slide board under then tilt to other side pull it the rest of the way under bike.
    Had tried putting on center sand on to board, alone that did not go well:lol3
    Seems everyone put the bolt back in dry, unlike the rear uses locktight.
    I was not sure at the time used some blue.
    Maybe better dry?
    Remember to hold top bolt with a Allen as you loosen the nut!
  3. AndyM

AndyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I removed my Wilbers ESA, had it rebuilt, and reinstalled it last week in my 09 GSA. Pretty straight forward to get it out but I could of used an extra hand putting it back in. I moved the gas tank back to get at the top nut, removed the crash bar and alternator cover, three bolts hold the ESA box. Plug is under the gas tank. Took maybe an hour to remove it and maybe two to put it back together. I changed the alternator belt because it's cheap and you are right there anyway. I didn't need to raise the bike or pull the front wheel.
  4. lone shark

lone shark Banned

Oddometer:
    K thanks for info so away we go!
  5. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 09' GSA with over 60K miles on it. My shocks feel a little cushier than when I got it, but still feel okay. What made you guys want to switch the stock ones out? Just wondering if I'm missing something or setting myself up for failure on my next big trip.
  6. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    Seems that a few/many/some of the GS/A's rear shocks like to leak their oil out through seals and need replacement/rebuild. Mine did it at 35K miles. Left me a bit stranded. Replaced with used BMW non-ESA for now, will probably do Wilbers WESA when I get a chance.
  7. lone shark

lone shark Banned

Oddometer:
    I do quite a bit of off road also my bike stays loaded most the time. I gave the stock ESA shocks a real chance, matter of fact had two rear in 11'. They are quite expensive too. I decided to give the touratech rear extreme shock and front explore a try. I chose these shocks because of my riding style and the build and construction of them. I hope I will get a chance to try them out on the up coming Arkansas 500 that is if Scott gets my e mail.:D