A very special vintage item...

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by R100, Feb 15, 2013.

1. R100

R100 R100 UK

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Thought I'd post up a couple of photos of this old helmet. It came into my possession from a friend who has no interest in bikes. He was clearing out the attic in a café he'd recently taken over here in the UK. It's made by Stadium circa 1950s by the look of it and it's totally original, BMW sticker and all. Lining, leather and clasp are all perfect. Yes I have worn it once and would do again but I don't own a bike of the right vintage at the moment!

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with you as it's such a great item and I've never seen another. If any of you have or can shed any light on it I'd be really interested to know. I'm guessing it's a works helmet, possibly a race or ISDT team helmet?

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer:
    Some of the BMW Works riders did have helmets with the black band: [​IMG]
  3. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    An interesting find and I think I am right in saying as it was legal when it was made is still legal to wear it on the road now unlike a modern replica such as a Davida.
  4. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    I have a few repop BMW posters hanging in my office, dated 1953 and I swear one of the riders is wearing a helmet very similar.

edit; found a photo of the poster on the interwebs
    [​IMG]
  5. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Its an old helmet with a BMW sticker on it. They were very popular back in those great old days.
  6. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I think it's super cool. Thanks for posting this R100. I think you can wear that when riding an Airhead. It's only a little older than the Airheads and most wouldn't know. Those that do won't mind. And if any do mind they won't mater.
  7. R100

R100 R100 UK

Oddometer:
    Thanks for those pictures, they look very close. Maybe it is just a vintage helmet with a sticker but whoever owned it didn't wear it much making me think a race helmet is more likely. Either way it's an interesting piece of history.
  8. Paul_Rochdale

Paul_Rochdale Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everoak pudding basin helmets were de rigeur in those days rather than Stadium helmets. I think someone's sprayed a black band on it and added a sticker. Don't worry about the legality side of it; I doubt if one officer in a thousand could recall the appropriate BS number or whatever it is these days.