School me on KLR's

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Boggking, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Boggking

Boggking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been throwing around the idea of picking up a KLR for friends to use for day rides when they come for a visit. I live in the boonies out by Water Valley, and there is lots of great riding in the immediate area. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

So my question is which years are most desirable years, and which are the ones to stay clear of? :y0!

Thanks in advance
    BK>
  2. OverlandOdyssey

OverlandOdyssey @Just_Rich_Young

Oddometer:
    I can tell you '08-'09 have an oil consumption issue. The first gen had a long run. I bought an '07 because the way I see it the last year of a significant run like that should have most (if not all) the bugs ironed out. :wink:
  3. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are web sites that deal with the KLR and have tons of info on them. This web site has a section called thumpers and there is no doubt a KLR section with thousands of posts on it.

My $0.02 on the KLR for what that is worth:
    The KLR is and inexpensive bike and not too bad for the money. Many owners buy the bike and than start trying to turn it into a high end bike that it never was to start with. Lots of money is spent and in the end it is still a KLR. The KLR is top heavy, not that great off road. It can do highway OK but underpowered and shakes like the big single that it is. If you take the KLR off road and drop it you will wreck a lot of expensive stuff fast.

I would recommend looking at a Suzuki DR650 as well. It will do off road better than a KLR and still do well on the highway. If your thinking mainly off road the Suzuki DRZ400 is a good choice. Strange as it sounds the new Honda CRF250 wouldn't be a bad choice for a lighter bike that will do off road and highway but lighter. A lot depends on what you ride as well I think, and the type of riding you do.
  4. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    What Jimmie said...

I had a KLR for about 50k of riding. It did the job, only major problem I ever had was rebuilding the rear shock, which is cheap, and not a difficult job.

The bike has incredible range with the stock tank, and a pretty good rear rack stock.

The DR650 will be a lot lighter off road, (I've ridden both bikes quite a bit), but you may want a bigger tank and luggage area than what it comes with stock.

The KLR can be ridden offroad, which I did quite a bit, but you quickly realize how poor the stock suspension is.

Overall, the bike is a great "multisurface motorcycle".

Hopping off it, and riding my BMW 650, is two different worlds, however.
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Lots of first gen ones kicking around, can be had for cheap. Minimal work required to keep one happy. Many, many, many of us have had one at some point in time. :lol3
  6. Toto

Toto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a new 08 for a year.
    Lots of fun on secondary highways and good in city and gravel roads.
    It was, however, the worst bike by far that I ever rode on the slab.
    Traded it for a Wee Strom the next year...much, much happier...after I fixed the buffeting issue that is.
    Pick your tool carefully. If you plan to do much interstate at all...stay away...IMHO.
  7. EduardoMas

EduardoMas Spartan Overlander

Oddometer:
    BK, you are one cool dude, buying a bike for your friends to ride when in town… or the boonies.

You settled on a KLR already and it is a safe bet for multiple riders on multiple roads or trails.
    If you buy an 02 (in my opinion) and earlier model it will probably have several upgrades. Some upgrades are a must, like a chain tensioner “doohickey”.
    There are Made-in-Japan vs. other country build years differences but to get into it is just splitting hairs.
    Expecting to lend a bike to others, beef it up with an aluminum handlebar, barkbuster, and rad protector to prevent bruises to the bike and your friendships if/when they drop the bike.
    Unless your buds ride KLRs already they will find the noodle-like forks a little vague in steering input/turn feel an inexpensive fork brace helps a lot.
    If it has Rox risers the handlebar can be setup for different rider heights in a few minutes.
    Some upgrades are worth it to an owner ridden bike but dangerous to others. They have to do with overriding clutch, kickstand and neutral switches. They all WILL fail eventually... so many people just jumper the contacts, but street-only riders might need them for safety.

As others said, stay in the ’07 and earlier and shop for a bike with the most significant upgrades.
  8. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    That would be a thread in it's self..... How many ADVrs have ever owned a KLR.!
  9. bwokentoof

bwokentoof Pollyanna Man

Oddometer:
    Why would anyone ride a KLR when there are thousands of perfectly good Virago 920's out there for cheap?
  10. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Spoken like a trooper, and I had one of those too!!!!
  11. Boggking

Boggking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guy for the intel guys. I have some idea what to look for now when shopping the classifieds. Now to find the right deal! :deal

Thanks again
    BK>
  12. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you find a bike with a lot of accessories, that you want/need you usually get the extras for next to nothing.
  13. Defconfunk

Defconfunk I need to get out more

Oddometer:
    Dumb question, but as a toy / loaner bike, why go for a 650cc at all?

Are you expecting to sit on highways above 100km/h for any serious length of time? Or are 80km/h roads done at a mildly above limit (say 100km/h) pace plus back-road / off-road excursions more the norm?

Since it isn't a bike that will be ridden often, I'd think you'd want the minimum amount of maintenenace (specifically, I'm thinking aircooled so you don't have to worry about radiator hoses or pump seals drying out), low purchase price (okay, the KLR really can't be beat on that front), and since the people riding it may be a bit rusty themselves, something light and easy to ride (in which case, the DR650 isn't bad, but a 250cc might be better.

Admittedly, many of the 250ish DS bikes are lacking in power, but can still be fun. The Super Sherpa (KLR250) seems ideal for what you want. Air cooled, reliable, easy to ride, sufficient power for 100km/h riding (26hp, 6-speed transmission).

Good luck with the search. I wish I had friends like you ;)
  14. Boggking

Boggking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to thank you guys for all the input and insight. I picked up a 06 EXC 450 for to good of a deal to pass up. I know it's a far cry from a KLR but we are just going to have to manage!! :wink:

Thanks again
    BK>
  15. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is basically an off road race bike if I'm not mistaken. I know little about this bike but on the Jap stuff once the motor needs rebuilt, like 50 hours of race time, it is a major expense. Part of the reason for low resale value.

This bike is a world different than a KLR650, just saying. Not even a close comparison.
  16. dusty_glasses

dusty_glasses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this comment might be a bit late but I have 08 KLR (first one in the UAE) and an 08 EXC 450 for the last 2 yrs.

They are apples and oranges.
    JimmyA's comments may have some truth to them - (I would love to share a trail and see who survives better the DR or my KLR).

But the fact is there are two types of KLR's - Farklers and Fat Ninja's.

Mine is a Fat Ninja. Crashed so hard that I broke the Swotech crash bars. Picked up and drove on. Jumped so high I drove the rear brake bleeder through the muffler on landing- kept going and didn't even notice. Odometer stopped at 40K and I am guessing I am north of 80k now. Someone mentioned that I should check the valves and I might this year. I carry spare oil because I regularly push her to the red line. She swims like a fish and fly's like a pig, I have no problem pushing any car in the fast lane on the 401 - I commute regularly down the 400/401/427/QEW. She did not however like the sand dunes in the UAE!

Now the EXC is half the weight twice the price goes one 1/3rd the distance at twice the speed on the most expensive gas. I had 6k on it before the rear bearing went. I have to unplug the fan after I turn if off or it will kill the battery (3rd battery now). I have had to replace the kick stand 3 times because it won't hold its own weight.

All that being said they are apples and oranges - what do you want to eat today?

I would not trade either.

Is it May yet?
  17. tootiredsteve

tootiredsteve duke of earles.....fork

Oddometer:
    If you're not trying to kill your friends, at least make it a KLR 250 :D
  18. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know where a guy could buy a nice example of a KLR250 for a good price.

:deal

Back in the spring I picked up an '05 KTM 640Adv. It's fun, but I'm not selling my KLR650. A KLR will go anywhere a "more focused" dirt bike will go. It just might take a little longer.

In spite of the hyperbole, KLR's are only 20lbs heavier than DR650's. (I had both and weighed them: 385lbs vs. 405lbs - and the DR had an aftermarket muffler easily 10lbs lighter than stock ie: they may only be 10lbs apart in stock trim). :brow

These are great motorcycles.

[​IMG]
  19. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Agreed... Take a bit longer and won't be as much fun, but it will get you there. And fun is why we ride motorcycles isn't?
  20. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    from personal experience my suggestion is look for a klr that has had suspension work done if nothing else. I did mine and the difference is night and day in the handling department. Front end I have progressive springs, ricor intiminators and a fork brace, I now trust the front end to do exactly what I want when I want it. Rear end heavier spring for my weight and gear. Makes the bike great on trails and rougher rides!