Jammin thru the Global South

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Jammin, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Jammin

Jammin Integrating back into society

Oddometer:
    This is it. The big one for me. I'm leaving on March 5 on a 2 year journey through Latin America and Africa. It's one way and don't know when I'll be coming back to the US. I've sold everything off and my only possessions will be my DR650 and what I can carry with me. :wave

Thanks to everyone on ADV who's helped with bike issues so far and other issues on previous trips. Couldn't do this without your help. :beer And of course thanks to everyone who has gone before me and provided inspiration and information through your ride reports :thumb

Thanks,
    Jay

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

[​IMG]

Follow on JamminGlobal.com, twitter, facebook or instagram.

The Global South. It's a term used to refer to the developing countries that mostly lie in the southern hemisphere. This story is about a two year motorcycle journey through Latin America and Africa heading towards India with a desire to raise awareness about sustainability and eudaimonia, the search for things that are true, good and beautiful.

[​IMG]

After spending the first two decades of my life growing up in Africa and being schooled in India, I spent the last decade in the US specializing in university and subsequently working in corporate product design engineering. It's been a blast and I've been very thankful for the life I've had so far, making a plentitude of meaningful connections and having had numerous lifetime experiences. However, curiosity, that great driving primal force of all life, responsible for where I am today, has been exposed to the grand scheme of things and is gnawing inside of me to grab at the opportunity that lies within my potential to gain a far deeper understanding of life on this planet.

If that was my only goal of this journey then perhaps I should simply travel directly to the places where I expect to learn the most about how humans and the rest of nature interact and how best we can sustainably develop civilization and co-habit peacefully with nature. But in my short travels so far I have learnt that the most meaningful experiences are the ones you don't plan for; giving up control to the journey and letting experiences materialize. The road through a barren landscape could be a revelation of ideas or a synthesis of understanding. It is with this in mind that overland motorcycle travel appears best suited for such a journey.

Every opportunity has a cost and I've been trying to conduct the most thorough cost-benefit analysis of a long duration motorcycle trip through a majority of the world's developing countries. Benefits come easily to the mind, with the right side of the brain trying to visualize all the wonderful sights of unseen lands, all the tasteful treats from roadside shacks and all the warm people that are the one homo-sapiens. And the left brain pondering over how useful and relevant these experiences will be in shaping my life from here on out and positively enriching my productivity in future endeavours. However, the left brain can't ignore the looming elephant in the room, regarding security to my well-being, which I will mitigate to the best of my ability. Besides the obvious costs regarding finances and career paths, the one regarding longevity and safety has caused the biggest lump in my throat. Voluntarily giving up my comfortable life in the US and hoping for the best at the other side of the journey was not hard to decide on as I'm confident in my abilities to earn an income when that time comes again.

This journey that begins in March 2010 had seeds planted about four years ago, when I first caught wind of the possibility of riding around the world on a motorcycle from advrider.com, a global adventure motorcycling forum that has been a source of inspiration along with copious amounts of information. Subsequently, I toured around the US on my Suzuki GSX-R600 learning from veteran motorcycle travelers and coming into my own, belonging on the road. I then acquired a Suzuki DR650, a more appropriate motorcycle for unknown road conditions and tested the waters with a short trip around Mexico in 2007. The success of that trip convinced me that going further south would be very feasible and highly enjoyable. Since then, the planning has been solidifying up to this point. In between, I made a trip up to Alaska in 2008 and one down the Continental Divide in 2009. I tested various gear and configurations to see what would work best for this upcoming journey. I also evaluated my attitude in various situations, such as mechanical breakdowns and minor accidents. Seeing that I survived those with no long term effects, I am confident that I'll be able to get through situations that will no doubt arise on the journey ahead.

[​IMG]

I have been looking forward to and dreaming of commencing this journey for the past four years. I have a feeling it's going to be good and I'm as prepared as I'll ever be.

Come along for the journey and please do write me a hello to keep me company on the road through The Global South...
    Kiwi Canuck likes this.
  2. Jammin

Oddometer:
    The Route Plan

The general route plan is to ride around South America in 2010 and then ship or fly over the Atlantic to spend 2011 around Africa and then make my way towards India.

[​IMG]
    Click on the map to go to the interactive version in Google Maps.

Being a geo-political news junkie, I've been keeping abreast of the news in the regions I'll be traveling through and will avoid areas that are deemed unstable. However, one thing going in my favor is my brown skin color. In Mexico, with the few Spanish phrases that I could speak, people assumed I was Mexican since they can range from fair to dark and brown fits in there somewhere. I'll be taking a Spanish language immersion course in Guatemala and if I can come out of there speaking fluently, I should be able to pass for a local in many countries. Of course, I'll see what I can do about learning Portuguese for Brazil. My French is going to need a brush-up before I enter West Africa and besides that English should get me by along with a dose of respect for the locals.

After Africa, I'd like to continue overland through the Middle East into India. However, I'm not sure I can get a visa for Pakistan or if I'll be allowed to cross the border from Iran into Pakistan at Taftan. But that's two years away and I'll figure it out as I get closer.

Being an Indian citizen, my situation dictates that once I leave the US, the only country that will bureaucratically welcome me with open arms will be Mother India and thus the journey will be heading towards there. However, I might slow down somewhere along the way. And that could be in southern Africa, as I consider Zambia to be a second home and would like to give back to the country that provided me an exciting childhood.

Along with noting down the routes traversed by previous motorcycle travelers, the general climate in each region will dictate how the route goes. For example, I'll be avoiding the rainy season in Brazil and the super hot summers of the Sahara.

The line shows my approximate route:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MrMac likes this.
  3. Jammin

Oddometer:
    About the Bike

This being a motorcycle trip, the bike is obviously a very important part of the trip and I need to make sure that the bike is capable of what I ask of it. To ensure this, I've modified the bike to better suit long distance adventure riding and have done the routine maintenance to reduce the chances of any breakdowns.

My only possessions for the next two years will be what I can carry on my motorcycle and thus it acts as a lifeline and a home on two wheels. In my preparation for this trip, I've tried to learn as much as possible about all aspects of this motorcycle so that I can better handle any mechanical breakdowns or just routine maintenance.

The Suzuki DR650 is a tried and tested motorcycle that has been taken around the world by numerous others before me. Besides being highly functional for the task at hand, she also looks good and that matters because I have to bond with the bike as she'll be my steadfast companion through this journey.

Her name is sanDRina (sun-dree-nah) and we've already gotten off to a great start with a successful two week trip in Summer 2009 down the Continental Divide.

The reason I chose the DR for long distance adventure touring:
    - Dual-Sport Capability > meaning it can handle dirt and gravel roads as well as cruising on the highway.
    - Tube Tires > easier to patch/repair a tube tire than to repair a tubeless tire like sport bikes.
    - Spoked Rims > can absorb the shock of poor roads better than alloy rims.
    - Expandable Gas Tank > this bike's design is such that the original gas tank (3.4 gallons) can be upgraded with a 4.9 gallon one or a massive 7.9 gallon tank, which I currently have.
    - Air Cooled > the bike's engine is cooled by moving air and an oil cooler but with no water-cooling (radiator), meaning less parts to worry about failing.
    - Carburetion > this bike is carbureted instead of fuel injected because it's easier to work on in case something goes wrong while traveling.

<b>Modifications To The Bike From Stock</b> (as she came from previous owner)
    - Aqualine Safari 7.9 gallon gas tank (to improve range to nearly 400 miles)
    - Corbin aftermarket seat (to improve comfort)
    - Mikuni Flat Slide TM40 Carb with K&N Air Filter (to improve performance and throttle response)
    - Happy Trails Skid Plate (to protect the engine)
    - Answer 1" Handle Bar (to improve handling and durability)
    - Trail Tech Vapor Digital Speedometer with Tachometer (to improve monitoring)
    - WER Steering Stabilizer (to improve handling)
    - SuperBrace Fork Brace (to improve handling)
    - Seal Savers fork boots (to protect dirt from damaging front suspension seals)
    - Stiffer Progressive front and rear springs (to improve handling)
    - Larry Roeseler Rear Shock Absorber (to improve handling)
    - Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines (to improve braking performance)
    - Adjustable Chain Guide (to protect the chain)
    - Acerbis Hand-guards (to protect the fingers and the levers)
    - Acerbis Supermotard Front Fender (to improve aero drag and looks)
    - LED Tail Light and Turn Signals (to improve the looks and reduce voltage draw)
    - Secured Neutral Sending Switch (neutral gear indicator bolts that could come loose in the engine)
    - Upgraded Engine Torque Limiter (to prevent starter gear train damage related to this model year)
    - Upgraded Engine Base Gasket (factory paper gasket could lead to leaks)

<b>Modifications Added Since Then</b>
    - Rear Luggage Rack (to improve usability)
    - Happy Trails Luggage Rack with Pannier Set and Top Box (to secure and increase storage space)
    - Symtec Heated Grips (to provide warmth to the fingers when it's cold)
    - Centech AP-2 Fuse Box (to have better control of electronic add-ons)
    - Eastern Beaver Headlight Relay Kit (to increase power to headlights)
    - Voltminder Battery Voltage Monitor (to monitor battery health)
    - Upper Chain Roller Removed (potential design flaw that could damage the frame)
    - Aluminum Engine Side Case Protector (to increase engine protection)
    - Wossner Forged Piston
    - Scotts Stainless Steel Reusable Oil Filter (to reduce carrying spare parts - disposable filters)
    - Rear Brake Master Cylinder Guard (to protect exposed components)
    - Shortened Kick Stand and welded Larger Foot Plate (to improve stability when parked)
    - Fabricated Highway Pegs (to reduce strain on legs)
    - Fabricated Lexan Windshield (to improve comfort in terms of wind buffeting)
    - Fabricated custom bike crutch to aid in tire repair
    - Tool tube under engine and subframe (to increase carrying space)

<b>Farkles</b> (Functioning Sparkles: electronic add-ons)
    - GPS: Garmin 60Cx with Touratech Locking Mount
    - 12V Accessory plug: for running mini air compressor, heated vest and charging electronics

<b>Maintenance</b> done before the start of the trip
    - Engine Rebuild with new transmission parts and gaskets all around
    - New Oil and Oil Filter with Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 Synthetic
    - Valve Clearance Check
    - New EBC Front and Rear Brake Pads
    - Bleeded Front and Rear Brake Fluid
    - Cleaned and oiled K&N Air Filter

[​IMG]

I've done all the above modifications and maintenance to improve my chances of how sanDRina will behave while we're out on the road. Some items will improve her performance, while others will add to my comfort and increase my usability. Not everything above is necessary before a motorcycle trip like this, but it gives me a better peace of mind, so that I can enjoy my journey more.

My Packing List

Over the course of many motorcycle trips during the past four years, I've learned what to carry and what to leave behind, becoming an efficient packer. The two biggest factors in deciding what to take are weight and space. Weight is always an issue as a heavier bike is harder to handle, tougher to pick up if you drop it and reduces fuel mileage. Space is obviously limited on a motorcycle and items that pack small are preferable. Also, items that are multi-functional are preferable.

I prefer to run hard luggage instead of soft bags due to the increased weather protection and safety of belongings, which is not that much of an issue in developed countries, but will be useful for traveling through some developing countries. Additional benefits of hard luggage include using them as camping stools and the ability to rivet additions features, such as spare tire-carrying mounts, etc. The downside of the aluminum luggage set is the added weight of the metal boxes as opposed to cloth saddle bags. Each box weighs about 10 lbs. However, to me the benefits out-weight these costs.

Along with clothes, tools, spares and food in the side panniers, I'm also taking along minimal camping equipment, a Digital SLR camera and other electronics in the top box.

Riding Gear
    Regarding riding gear, I follow the motorcycling ethos of &#8220;All The Gear, All The Time&#8221; (ATGATT), meaning full protection of the whole body anytime I&#8217;m riding, even for a short distance. Sometimes wearing all the protective gear can be cumbersome, but if it helps me in surviving an accident, then it&#8217;s worth the effort.

Motoport Riding Suit
    Teknic Speedstar Summer Glove
    Rev'It Celsius Winter Glove
    Aerostich Triple-Digit Rain Glove Covers
    Silk Glove Liners (x2)
    Champion Insulated Glove Liners (x1)
    Oxtar TCX Comp Boots (with torsional ankle protection)
    Arai XD Dual-Sport Helmet with sun visor

Clothes
    In terms of clothes, I'll primarily be wearing my Motoport Kevlar Riding Suit with base layers. For the body to be comfortable, it's all about layering. If it gets colder, I'll throw on the windproof and waterproof liners of the riding suit and if it gets still colder, I have a performance thermal set, which I use for skiing. On the other extreme, for really hot temperatures, I have a cooling vest that works on the principle of evaporative cooling. Besides changing out the base layers, I only require a few other clothes for the evenings and days off from riding.

Base Layer Tops (synthetic x3, silk x1)
    Base Layer Bottoms (synthetic x3, silk x1)
    Bicycle Shorts (with padding)
    Thermal Top
    Thermal Bottom
    Dry-Fit T-shirts (x1)
    Regular T-shirts (x3)
    Travel Pants (x1) (pants that zip-off into shorts)
    Shorts for sleeping (x1)
    Swim Trunks (for the beach)
    Boxers (x2) for off-bike; on-bike it&#8217;s commando under the base layers : )
    Socks: Smart Wool (x1), Motorcycling Padded (x1), Silk (x2)
    Neck Gaiter
    Kidney Belt (to aid lower back support)
    Keen Sandals with toe protection
    Cooling Vest
    Rain Liners
    REI Camp Towel (quick drying)

Miscellaneous
    Toiletries
    Wahl Beard and Hair Trimmer
    Anti-Monkey Butt Powder (to reduce soreness of the posterior muscles)
    Toilet Paper (small roll)
    Sunblock
    Eye Allergy Drops
    Insect Repellent
    Mosquito Net with Boonie Hat
    Nail Cutter
    First Aid Kit with Sprain Bandage
    Eye Glasses
    Spare Contacts
    Eye Shades
    Waterproof Document Holder
    Fake Wallet

Camping
    Catoma Twist 1-person Tent
    GearGuide Light-weight Sleeping Bag
    GearGuide Torso Sleeping Pad
    MSR DragonFly Multi-fuel stove, runs off gasoline
    Coleman Pot Set
    LifeSaver Water Filter
    FireSteel Flint for starting fires
    Lexan Cutting Board
    Emergency ready-to-eat meals

Electronics
    Laptop: Gateway ec1803u, a 10.6" high-end netbook
    Western Digital 500GB and 1TB External Hard Drives
    Digital Camera: Canon SD400 5 MP
    Digital SLR Camera: KonicaMinolta 5D 6 MP with zoom lenses, remote, tripod
    Helmet Camera: GoPro HD
    GPS: Garmin 60Cx
    Logitech iPod nano with Etymotic ER-6i earphones
    Chargers for all devices
    3-into-1 Wall Socket
    Travel Adapter
    iPod Speakers with AA batteries
    LED Head Lamp

Bike Related
    Even with all the precautions taken before the trip regarding the bike itself, things can still go wrong and one must be prepared for various situations. I have the tools required to fix a flat tire, change a tire, quick weld any pieces that break and other miscellaneous tools for upkeep and repair.

Tools
    Motion Pro Chain Breaker and Rivet Tool
    Tire Irons, 15" x3
    Tire Pliers Bead Breaker
    Tire Patch Kit
    Bike Krtuch
    Slime Air Compessor
    Mikuni Carb Jets
    Tool Roll with:
    Craftsman 3/8" Socket Wrench Flex Head
    Spanners: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17 mm
    Socket Set: 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 mm; extensions: 1/4, 3/8
    Socket Set Hex: 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 mm
    Spark Plug Socket
    Deep Socket: 12, 14 mm for engine mounts
    Vice Grips (x2)
    Adjustable Wrench
    T-Handles: 4, 5, 6 mm
    Front and Rear Axle Wrenches (19, 24 mm) with extension
    Lots of Zip-Ties
    Safety Wire
    Epoxy Bond
    Super Glue
    JB Weld
    Leatherman Wave Multi-purpose Tool
    Cruz Daul-Sport Multi-purpose Tool
    Electrical Tape
    Duct Tape on wrench
    Digital Multimeter
    Manual Compass
    Feeler Gauges for valve checks
    Chain Lube
    Uni Filter Oil
    Orange Hand Cleaner
    Valve Core Remover

Spares
    Tire Tubes (Front and Rear)
    Clutch Cable mounted next to current clutch cable
    Throttle Cable
    Shift, Clutch and Brake Levers
    Clutch Fibre Plates
    Spark Plugs
    H4 Headlight Bulb
    Sprocket Set (Front 14 and Rear 42)
    Fuel Line
    Miscellaneous Nuts and Bolts (M5, M6, etc)
    Electrical Connectors, Fuses
    Fork Dusk and Oil Seals
    Brake Pads (Front and Rear, EBC)

I'm clearly not traveling light, but hey, I figure I need all these items to live peacefully on the road for 2 years. Could I do with less? Sure, but I'm looking at long-term life on the road and this should keep me sane.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Why am I doing this?
    Professional: I'd like to make a career switch from engineering into humanitarian affairs and will be studying for a distance masters in Sustainable Development from the University of London during this trip. I hope to get first-hand knowledge of the various humanitarian needs through the regions I'll be traveling through, which will help me choose an area to get involved in at the end of the journey, such as water resources, appropriate technology, etc. I hope to use this trip as a stepping-stone to the next chapter in my life.

Personal: I was bitten by the travel bug at an early age and this trip will be a culmination of many years of planning, researching and dreaming. Having traveled in small bits and pieces to various countries, I'd like to see more of our beautiful Planet Earth and I'm at a point in my life that this is feasible.

Why so long for the trip, 2 years?
    The general route is dictated by the regional climate, meaning that I'm trying to avoid the rainy season in most places along with extreme temperatures (height of summer and winters). From this data, two years to circulate around Latin America and Africa allows me to synchronize nicely with the seasonal climate. Also, I need enough down time to get some studying done. I'm planning to ride for a few days, then stop for a few days, see some sights and get some reading done for my courses.

In addition, in my research for this trip and through communication with seasoned long-duration travelers, I've learnt that 'the slower you go, the cheaper it gets,' referring to the majority of expenses on these kinds of trips being related to transportation (self or public). Staying in places longer will reduce my average daily costs, allowing me to stretch the dollar and travel for longer.

Why on a motorcycle instead of a car?
    Besides the old adage of "four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul," benefits of motorcycle travel over automotive:
    - overall cheaper cost, initial and running (better gas mileage, cheaper maintenance).
    - simpler regarding complexity of machine; I am able to fully tear-down my motorcycle and perform most repairs on it with relatively few tools.
    - size; I need only about 4 ft to get through with my motorcycle, compared to at least 8 ft for a car. This could be a narrow bridge, a goat path road up into the mountains or around fallen debris on the road.
    - versatility; a motorcycle, especially a dual-sport one, is able to traverse over most any surface including wading through 2 feet of water (rivers).
    - openness; us riders jokingly refer to car drivers as 'cagers' as in the driver is caged in the car compared to being exposed and out in the open on a bike. Car drivers will probably see this as a downside, however once you become a rider, you'll see this as a positive. Yes, you have to brave the elements, but with appropriate gear, comfort can be achieved in most weather situations and feeling the wind against you makes you feel more connected to your local surroundings compared to being nicely cocooned in a car.
    - friendliness; the vulnerability of being open on a bike allows curious strangers to approach and make a new friend.

Will I be carrying a gun or other lethal weapons for self-defense?
    No. Firstly, it's highly illegal to cross borders, especially across developing countries with weapons of any kind as this will be seen as a threat and quickly lead me to the local jail, which I don&#8217;t want. I also feel that weapons can quickly escalate situations unnecessarily. I'm more on the Buddhist side of the spectrum and believe in soft power; going in with a smile, being friendly and respectful can diffuse most confrontations. Of course, there will be some situations where a weapon might be useful, but I will deal with them as they arise.

With my travel experience to date, I've learnt to be aware of my security in all situations; not being paranoid, but just being aware - making sure I'm not being followed, looking for exits from crowded places, recognizing unsafe parts of a new city, etc. I will try my best not to attract attention by flashing money or fancy gadgets in hopes of deterring common mugging. While I'll be hiding money in various places on me and on the bike, I will only have small change easily accessible along with a false wallet (with expired ID and credit cards) to easily hand over if I'm being mugged.

I'll also be using my brown skin to my advantage, hoping to pass off for a local in most places (the world's going beige :p ). After learning Spanish, I'm sure I could easily pass for a regional citizen in most of South America. I'll have to pick up Portuguese for Brazil. I might still stand out around Africa (I do know French for West Africa), but since there are so many Indians everywhere who migrated many generations ago, I might still pass off for a resident.

I do have mace/bear spray that I bought for bears in Alaska, but it wont be practical to be walking around everywhere with it. I'll still be taking it when I head off into the wilderness for protection against animals.

Where will I be staying?
    Primarily it will be hostels and cheap hotels along the way and camping where possible, but I will be looking to stay with locals as much as I can. There are different avenues that I will be using to get in touch with people willing to host passing travelers, as it will be a more enriching experience to meet and stay with locals. I have done this on all my previous trips and made many new friends along the way. Resources: ADVrider.com Tent Space List, HorizonsUnlimited.com Communities, and CouchSurfing.org (similar concept to the previous two resources, but open to the general public, not just riders).

How am I funding this trip/lifestyle choice?
    I lived frugally while I was working in the US for a major corporation and saved and invested my earnings with this trip in mind. However, its not a lot and I'll be looking to stretch the dollar as best as I can and am open to donations :) If you feel you're getting something useful from my trip report, please consider a small donation (paypal button on website) towards petrol or a meal on the road. Thanks.

How will I get access to money?
    ATMs are widely available in all major cities and that will be the safest way to withdraw funds. I've chosen banks that don't charge ATM widthdrawl fees or at least, charge very little. Where possible, in safe locations, I will use my Capital One credit card, specifically because they don't charge any foreign transaction fees and give good exchange rates.

What about the health risks?
    I've taken all the recommended immunizations (yellow fever, hepatitis a/b, typhoid, etc) and will be highly conscious of the food and water that I drink. In general, as long as it's hot and cooked in a relatively clean place, it'll be safe to eat. I love eating from roadside shacks and haven't gotten sick, yet. Plus, growing up in developing countries has probably left me with a pretty good immune system that hasn't been weakened by my time in the US. I'll be using a LifeSaver Water Filter that can filter out practically all viruses and bacteria and other water soluble contaminants. I will be carrying first-aid supplies and with a mother and sister being doctors, immediate advice is only a phone call away.

What if I get sick?
    Diarrhea is probably the most common illness to plague travelers and I'm aware of how to tackle it (oral rehydration solution). Besides that, preventing mosquito bites will go a long way in disease prevention and I plan to use appropriate repellent where needed.

Do I have medical insurance?
    I won&#8217;t be having any medical insurance since it doesn't seem to be practical for me being an Indian citizen. The costs for travelers from India is quite exorbitant and just paying for medical care as it rises will be a more cost effective strategy. I looked into medical evacuation insurance but currently that only applies to North American residents and once I leave the US, I give up my residency there.

What if something breaks on the motorcycle or I get a flat tire?
    Over the past few years, in preparation for this trip, I have learnt how to properly maintain and repair most any breakdowns, including fixing flat tires and mounting a new tire. I will be carrying specific tools such as a chain-breaker for more complex servicing.

Do I know anybody in these countries that I'll be traveling through?
    Not yet, but I'm likely to once the journey gets started.

What does "Jammin" mean and what's its significance?
    "Jammin" is the username I selected when I joined my local Chicago sportbike forum and its significance has to do with Bob Marley's feel good song with a positive pulse. Its significance also stems from my constant need to have music playing, which is one of the reasons why I like long motorcycle trips as it allows me to listen to lots of music while bobbing down the road with my noise-isolating etymotic er-6i earphones.

How will I stay in touch, communicate?
    Internet cafes are ubiquitous the world over and getting online should not be a problem. I will be updating this blog along with twitter and facebook every few days or whenever I get a good internet connection. I will also be traveling with an international roaming SIM card to make important phone calls and will be using skype for free webcam calls to my parents, so that my mom can see that I'm alive and well.

How will I cross from South America to Africa?
    I'd like to take this 3 week journey on a cargo ship (Grimaldi RORO) from Buenos Aires but there are some logistical issues with that idea, so I might end up flying across, putting the bike on a pallet in the cargo compartment.

When am I coming back to the US?
    I'm not sure.

Isn't Africa really dangerous? Don&#8217;t they still eat people there? LOL
    Yes, Africa is less developed than the rest of the world but that immediately doesn't make it more dangerous. There are dangerous places all over the world, including in your home town and one just needs to be aware of them and take the right precautions. And besides, I spent 8 years of my childhood in a remote corner of southern Africa and I can tell you it's a beautiful place with warm, friendly people.

Wont I miss home and my bed and all the other comforts?
    Having lived in Zambia soon after birth and then growing up in India, "home" is a concept I've learned to adapt to wherever I happen to be at that moment in time. On my short motorcycle trips up to this point, I've noticed that I did not miss the comforts of my home even when things were going bad, so I think I'll be fine. I'm aware of "traveler's fatigue" and with an open-ended journey like this, I should be able to slow down and break the journey for a while if I need to. Yes, I'm going to miss my kitchen as cooking is a highly pleasurable activity, but I think I can fulfill that desire on this journey. I gave up watching regular TV a few years back and thus won&#8217;t be missing any programming, besides watching Formula 1 races. I will miss having almost instant access to high-speed internet, being part of the "plugged-in" generation, but I'll learn to live without it. I will miss my friends and I don't like to say goodbyes as the friendship doesn't need to end there and hopefully we can meet in the future.

If you have any other questions, do let me know.
  4. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Here's an index of the Ride Report since it's quite a lot of content in the following pages to wade through. I'll link to the pages that have photos or other relevant content in them but feel free to read from the beginning to get the updates from the road.

Jammin Global Ride Report Index

Page 1
    Intro, Route Plan, Bike Info

Page 5
    Pictures from ADVers on the way to California

Page 6
    Trip Preparation
    Bike Setup
    Last Few Days Before Leaving
    Photo Shoot

Page 7
    First Leg: Chicago to San Francisco

Page 12
    Pictures from San Francisco, Part 2
    Riding the California Coastline
    Weekend in San Diego

Page 13
    Small Town Charm in Ajo, Arizona

Page 15
    Mexico Part 1: Border to Michoacan
    Mexico Part 2: Beaches and Oaxaca

Page 17
    Mexico Part 3: San Cristobal
    Mexico Part 4: Naha, Mayan Village Stay
    Guatemala, Part 1: Highlands
    Guatemala, Part 2: Tikal

Page 19
    Honduras and Nicaragua
    Costa Rica
    Panama, Part 1: Boquete and Chitre

Page 20
    Panama, Part 2: The Canal and Darien
    Sailing on the Stahlratte across the Darien Gap

Page 21
    Video from Colombia, Caucasia to Medellin

Page 23
    Colombia, Part 1: Cartagena
    Colombia, Part 2: Medellin

Page 24
    Colombia, Part 3: Zona Cafetera
    Colombia, Part 4: Cali, Popayan, Pasto

Page 27
    Ecuador, Part 1: Quito and Quilotoa
    Ecuador, Part 2: Volcanoes
    Ecuador, Part 3: Cuenca

Page 30
    Peru, Part 1: Bagua Grande and Kuelap, Cloud Forest Riding

Page 31
    Peru, Part 2: Canon del Pato and Huascaran
    Peru, Part 3: Lima to Nasca
    Peru, Part 4: Abancay and Cusco
    Peru, Part 5: Machu Picchu
    Peru, Part 6: Breakdown in Andahuaylillas

Page 32
    Video from Peru: Kuelap/Chachapoyas to Celendin, Cloud Forest

Page 34
    Video from Bolivia: Lago Titicaca

Page 38
    Bolivia, Part 1: Copacabana, La Paz and Death Road

Page 39
    Bolivia, Part 2: Salar Attempt and Return to La Paz
    Bolivia, Part 3: Yungas and Mud Riding
    Bolivia, Part 4: Hot and Dusty across the Pampas

Page 41
    Brazil, Part 1: The start of the TransAmazonica

Page 42
    Brazil, Part 2: Riding the depths of the TransAmazonica
    Brazil, Part 3: The end of the TransAmazonica

Page 45
    Brazil, Part 4: Taking a break in Sao Luis
    Brazil, Part 5: The Northeast Region

Page 46
    Brazil, Part 6: Salvador da Bahia

Page 47
    Brazil, Part 7: Chapada Diamantina and Minas Gerais

Page 48
    Brazil, Part 8: Servicing sanDRina in Sao Paulo

Page 49
    Jammin's Chicken Curry Recipe

Page 50
    Brazil, Part 9: Finding paradise in Picinguaba

Page 55
    Brazil, Part 10: Rio de Janeiro, The Marvelous City

Page 57
    Video: Bolivia, The Lagunas Route
    Brazil, Part 11: Revisiting Picinguaba
    Brazil, Part 12: Iguazu Falls and Itaipu Dam

Page 58
    Argentina, Part 1: The Northeast into Buenos Aires
    Argentina, Part 2: Across the Central Region
    Argentina, Part 3: Colorful Hues of Salta and Jujuy
    Bolivia II, Part 1: Tarija to Villamontes and Santa Cruz
    Bolivia II, Part 2: Ruta del Che Guevara
    Bolivia II, Part 3: Sucre thru Tupiza to Atocha
    Bolivia II, Part 4: Salar de Uyuni
    Bolivia II, Part 5: The Lagunas Route | San Juan to Laguna Cañapa
    Bolivia II, Part 6: The Lagunas Route | Laguna Honda to Laguna Colorado

Page 59
    Bolivia II, Part 7: The Lagunas Route | Thermales and Geysers
    Chile: San Pedro de Atacama
    Argentina, Part 4: Ruta 40 in the Northwest
    Argentina, Part 5: Central Ruta 40 | Cachi to Mendoza

Page 60
    Patagonia, Part 1: Argentine Lake District
    Patagonia, Part 2: Carretera Austral | Futalefú to Puerto Aisén

Page 61
    Patagonia, Part 3: Carretera Austral | Lago Carrera General to Villa O'Higgins

Page 62
    Patagonia, Part 4: Backtracking up the Austral and down the 40

Page 63
    Patagonia, Part 5: Perito Moreno Glacier and Torres del Paine
    Patagonia, Part 6: Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego and Penguins
    Argentina, Part 6: Bahia Blanca, Azul and Buenos Aires
    Video: Jammin thru Brazil | BR-230 TransAmazonica across the Amazon Jungle

Page 64
    Info on Southern Patagonia Border Crossings
    Suzuki DR650 Review at 13 months and 58,282 kms (36,200 miles)
    Charts: Petrol price comparison and distance ridden in each country
    Gear Review

Page 66
    Info on Carnet de Passage for Africa

Page 67
    Grimaldi, Part 1: Buenos Aires up the Brazilian Coast
    Grimaldi, Part 2: Crossing the Atlantic Ocean to Dakar

Page 68
    Grimaldi, Part 3: Engine Room and Landing in Europe
    Europe, Part 1: Autobahn into Paris
    Europe, Part 2: Paris, The City that Captivates

Page 72
    Europe, Part 3: Across Germany into Prague

Page 73
    Europe, Part 4: A Day in Munich at the BMW Museum
    Europe, Part 5: Switzerland, for maintenance and the Alps
    Europe, Part 6: The Italian Alps down into Venice

March 5, 2010 | The trip begins...

[​IMG]

It's been a crazy last few months getting ready to get going and closing up my life here. Taken a few more days than I expected but all ready to head out. I'm going to San Francisco first to see a good riding friend and go over the bike once more before heading back down and crossing the border into Mexico. Going to mount new tires there, oil change and hopefully purge some of the things I'm carrying. I thought I had it all down, but the gravity of taking off for 2 years had me throwing in random tools and other things that I might need and now I'm overflowing. :lol2

Stopping in Memphis, Dallas, Las Cruces and Joshua Tree on my way to SF.

It's going to be chilly. Hopefully it doesn't snow tomorrow. :wink:
  5. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Exciting stuff. Bon voyage!
  6. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jay,
    Everything of the best over the next 2 years. Hope to see you on the road shortly. We depart at the end of August.:norton
    Daryll
  7. RandyG

RandyG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! what a trip. Looking forward to your reports. Travel safe.
  8. BusyWeb

BusyWeb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Awesome. This is going to be a good one. :thumb That looks like an amazing route through Africa, and quite ambitious. There's going to be some great stories and photos from that segment. Looking forward to it. :strum

Buen viaje.
  10. hensons

hensons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very cool! <object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="16" height="16" id="movie" align=""><param name="movie" value="http://forumsmiles.com/content/6/mov.swf"><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://forumsmiles.com/content/6/mov.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="16" height="16" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"</embed></object>
  11. forrest_fire1

forrest_fire1 I came, went & discovered

Oddometer:
    :evil This is making my trip around Oregon look like nothing:rofl
  12. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    All good trips start with the very first step. So sleep well and get going in the morning with that first step. Enjoy the ride and the road! I read your Alaska and CDR reports and enjoyed them both. Have an outstanding ride and I'll keep posted on our adventure............Have fun and keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down. :ricky :thumb :ricky
  13. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW!

Now this is an Adventure Ride, Jay

This will be the event of a lifetime...Godspeed :thumb
  14. Thorne

Thorne Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer:
    :lurk Sounds like an awesome adventure.
  15. Mullet

Mullet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck. :freaky
  16. Rangerrat

Rangerrat Adventurer Rat

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a tremendous and spectacular journey you're taking. obsolutly stunning. Wish you nothing but the best. And for certainly, I will keep up with your thread.... :freaky
  17. mark1305

mark1305 Old Enough To Know Better Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling this one I will be following along as updates come in.

You certainly have a good head for this kind of adventure, good background and attributes, and good equipment - What could go wrong? :eek1 And apparently you've thought that through very well, also. :deal

Best of luck, be safe, be well, and be sure to compile the whole story at the end if it ever truly concludes. It will be a great legacy to riders that hope to tackle their own quests, no matter how grand or small.

Mark
  18. Ruud109

Ruud109 Dutch in Barcelona

Oddometer:
    Wow Jay, that looks like a great trip!! I wish you all the best and I'm looking forward to follow your thread at ADV and your blog!

All the best and ENJOY!!

Ruud
  19. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    I've always enjoyed your reports, Jay!!:bow

If you've never been and hit it at the right time of year..I highly recommend that you visit Death Valley seeing as you're leaving us for awhile.

As 2uprtw start winding down their trip, I was wondering what I'd follow next and this is it..not sure if we can actually push Vince far enough south.:deal
  20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Good luck Amigo!

I joined you as a fan over on Facebook so I hope that you post a bit over there too.

If you are on the way to Memphis check out Beale Street and Graceland. I didn't really appreciate the Memphis music scene until we were there for a month earlier this year and the more that I read the more fascinating it became.

Chargrilled oysters at Pearl's, about 3 blocks or so from Beale Street. Absolutely some of the most awesome food that I've had in my lifetime.

And the Martin Luther King Museum at the site where Dr. King was assassinated. A very sobering bit of history, and once again pretty close to Beale Street.

Have a great trip!