Auxiliary sidetank project for BMW Xchallenge

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Max Kool, Nov 9, 2007.

1. whyldcyde

whyldcyde Time to pull the Trigger

Oddometer:
    Hi Erik,

Thanks for the quick response! Sent a PM.
  2. SCflyer

SCflyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Erik,

3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    [​IMG]
    This looks a lot more functional. For expeditionary preparation one desires a bombproof design. I wouldn't want to ride along wondering if my chain could possible hit, I have other things to wonder about.
    Great job, awesome looking product, natural progression. Have you thought about loosing the other half litre on the bottom and compensating with a tad wider or longer tank?, or just going 6 litre?
  4. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eric, I am going to eventually get the tank.
    Do you have a picture of a pretty much stock XC with the "black" tank?
    I'm thinking I may like the black one better.
    Jeff
  5. Erik RS

Erik RS Three Wheel Maniac

Oddometer:
    I don't see a reason to do so (and it's a nightmare to have to redo or adapt the press-tooling)

The recess in the "stock" tank is now 25 mm (1" for those that cannot calculate in real measurements :D). Upgraded from 15 mm just to make sure. It has now a capacity of 7 litres spot-on. This gives ample room for the (normal) sprocket.

For XCo v2009, and others with lowered shocks, large sprockets a.s.o. we do the one you showed with a recess of 50 mm (abt. 2"). That's 6,5 litres

For the diehards we sometimes do XL-tanks with an extra strip of aluminium alloy in between the 2 shells up to 10 litres at a surcharge. The disadvantage being that it's less cleanlooking, since the strip of aluminium always wobbels a bit (2mm unprofiled alu welded twice will not stay straight) and there is a double weld. Also I don't like making them toomuch, since there's a lot of extra work involved and they are hard to keep a bit straight and tidy and I don't want to charge toomuch for it :wink:

Hi Jeff, I know the black also looks good on the white XC (sold several), but I have no pics alas. I've got Max Kool's bike here for a fairing project at the moment. It has a black tank, but the bike's been repainted in a sandy/brownish color. I'll make a pic if you want, but it's not white
  6. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Not the best I've ever seen or taken, but hey, better than nothing.

[​IMG]
  7. Erik RS

Oddometer:
    Cheers mate :thumb
  8. Erik RS

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I've had questions in the past if there 's a lockable tankcap available for our Xtanks. One of our clients finally found one. Of course they can be bought through us, but I think it will be economically more viable if people can buy it in their own country or directly through the www. If you want one, try to source a gas cap for Kawasaki quads KFX700/750 (62 mm thread)
  9. verboten

verboten confused

Oddometer:
    bumping an ancient thread.
    I bought an xchallenge with the v1 xtank in december. Last weekend, I managed to contact the tank with the chain on a big hit. It ripped off the plastic tank protectors on the bottom of the tank. What is recommended for a replacement material and bonding it to the tank? In case anyone is wondering, I am running the Ohlins shock, not the stock factory airbag. Also, the factory size rear wheel lightly rubbed the tank as well. Guess I'll have to go a tad narrower.