The TT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zahnarzt, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    With the motor running set the multimeter on AC volts and 100-200 volts range. you'll check the three wires at the connector where it plugs in the main harness. Ground lead somewhere on the frame in good contact , the positive in each of the three white wires (may be yellow). They should all be close to the same voltage. Now set the multimeter on DC volts and check the volts on the battery posts (I assume it has one, we don't have this model so guessing), the voltage should be well above 13v dc and stay there. If the AC volts seems good and even ,but no or very low dc volts, then the regulator/rectifier is bad.

Don't know if the 2 harness are much different , we don't have those models over here.

2. RMitch

RMitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great piece of work!

Which Trail Tech Voyager did you use? I can't find a TT600 specific one on the Trail Tech site
  3. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    beautifuil build, many compliments! but... 151 kg wet?? Yamaha declared 162 kg at the time! Have you weigted yourself?

about missing tricks, I would not recommend adding 50cc, max 20/35cc.
    I had a 659cc TT and the piston is really too much for this engine. Who did these tricks in the nineteis, like Rigo Moto in Italy, recommended me to use a 620cc maximum, should be on in a few days hopefully

And about the old Ténéré 660, even if heavier, is a more capable bike that you think offroad.
  4. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that RMitch - I used a generic Voyager model for Yamaha WR 05-14 (912-300 model) - didn't get it quite right as it came with the water cooled temp sensor - need to order the air cooled sensor wire - other than that it all fits.

Cheers
  5. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Gian - thanks for that.

Weighed it myself with an old set of bathroom scales (73kg under front wheel and 78kg under rear wheel) so allowing for scales accuracy it should be within +/- 5kg I guess. I weighed myself on the bike scales and my wife's you beaut scales and got same result so shouldn't be far off the mark.

The specs below say 153kg dry, so it appears to be in the right ball park, but I could be wrong. Forgetting about the absolute numbers, the key thing here is it is light enough to be manageable in the rough without getting a hernia....

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_tt600re%2004.htm

I have a current model Tenere which I have put 90,000kms on from new and it is the best all round bike I have ever owned - however I have dropped it a number of times and once I was unable to pick it up when riding solo as the foot peg was stuck in the mud on flat ground.

I went over Tincup pass in Colorado in the wet some years ago on the Ten and had I dropped it on the bouldery descent on my own I would never have been able to recover it without help - as I do a lot or solo riding, being able to pick it up is a primary concern for me.

On those Colorado passes and Oregon forests I was wishing I had an XR400 but on the open gravel and tar seal the Tenere was perfect so hence the TT600RE project - an attempt to get the best compromise for remote area travel.

In the right hands, the Tenere IS a capable off road machine (JMo and Jaumev for example). For me however coming from single trail XR250/400 background, I prefer something more nimble when the going gets tough, but with the long legs for the road stages.

The 50cc is a dream - reliability is key so I wouldn't do anything to compromise that - it was a subliminal request to Mr Yamaha... Keep the same engine dimensions and reliability but up the capacity, power and torque....

So are you doing a 620cc upgrade?? How far have you got with that??

Cheers
  6. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:

Actually is a.. downgrade:evil
    It was 659cc but the piston was on the verge to break, just got a prox piston 97mm, standard compression. Also on my TT600S posted above there is a 620cc engine, prepared years ago by Rigo Moto, I suspect with more compression though
  7. RMitch

RMitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks heaps for your advice @jjxtrider!

I just checked the AC reading and it is varied at around 4-8v so I'm guessing it might be fried :cry. I'll open the casing and have a look see this weekend.

Now to get on the hunt for a replacement!
  8. RMitch

RMitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just about to hit a buy now on a new strator when I thought I'd do one more test before spending all that monies... I checked the AC volts between the 3 white wires (white 1 to white 2, white 1 to white 3, white 2 to white 3) without the rectifier plugged in. They all read a constant 29-30v at idle and shot up when revved. Great! :rilla

Then I tried the same with the rectifier plugged in and it dropped down to around 4-8v.:kboom

Could this be the rectifier at fault? or maybe a bad ground somewhere?
  9. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Or that is the 6 volt regulator from the TT harness !?!??!! .:huh

10. RMitch

RMitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It still has the Xt regulator which I'm guessing is 12v... I've had trouble figuring out if the 97 TT600 kicker was using a 6 or 12v system.

I was thinking that if the strator was giving out a good reading then the 12v system would work..?
  11. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Ya, the 12v is what it'll be. I don't know either if the newer TT's are 6 or 12, but the previous owner used the XT system for a reason. Headlight needs to be a 12v bulb also, Tail and signal should have come off a 12v system already.

12. RMitch

RMitch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought so, checked to make sure the bulbs are 12v and also found an owners manual confirming the system is 12v. I tested the diodes in the regulator and all test ok, I'm gonna go through the harness now to check for any faults.
  13. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    The Belgarda TTS are 12v, in the next weeks I'll try to upgrade my other TTRigo with 59x engine (so it's 6v) to 12v, I think I'll have to change the stator, pickup and the main wire harness
  14. Eric66

Eric66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where can I find part numbers for a 97 model TT600 Belgarda?
    Regards Eric
  15. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Eric what do you need? I ordered my consumables like chains and cables etc from Kedo, but other parts were more difficult to order, because they could not be ordered from Yamaha, but had to be ordered via Belgarda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    No idea, on the clear blue (ex-Orioli) rims, they are marked simply Tagasako too...
  17. Eric66

Eric66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The steering stem thread is stripped,might keep a eye out on ebay for a complete lower triple.
    Regards Eric
  18. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aha. Well that must be karma, because i have a lower triple from my former TT600R that may fit. I will shoot some pics tomorrow, and measure it up.
  19. Eric66

Eric66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine has the USD Paioli front forks.
    Regards Eric
  20. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aha a TT600S. Nope, that is not going to work, but you may be able to swap the stem if ebay doesnt work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk