I got an idea...Churchill

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Minnesota, Oct 8, 2007.

1. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Trout Fishing is open along the northshore in the spring.... should check the regulations for restrictions. Lake trout is open before pickerel... ice out on the lakes is normally 1st or 2nd week of May.

Usually mid April the streams are flowing. Best to contact a sporting goods store in Thunder Bay, D&R Tackle should be able give you an update on conditions.

BackRoader
  2. CDNRider

CDNRider Banned

Oddometer:
    When I was there briefly (for a week) 25 years ago a local had recently been killed by a polar bear in town. The story I was told was that down south the politicians had heard that bears were gathering in the dump (east of town in my memory). They build an incinerator. Bears no longer frequented the dump, they came downtown. They shut down the incinerator

I was there working at the old rocket launch range. Tres cool: the glass viewing the launch towers was a foot thick. The offices had licensed sawed-off shotguns (in case a bear got in the maze of concrete).

Very cool place, all in all. The people there live a different life, and live it well.

-----
    '05 R1200GS
    '02 K1299LT
  3. OffRoadCruiser

OffRoadCruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are quite a few roads and more being built all the time, (map is from S&T 2004).

Pic shows only some of the northern destinations you can reach by road in Canada.

[​IMG]
  4. Stranded in Iowa

Stranded in Iowa couch adv`r

Oddometer:
    Never mind. I was counting my eggs before the chicken hatched. I didn`t get what I want in vacation time. I`m going to have to cancel my Northern Manitoba section off of my trip. :cry Long story, I thought for sure I had it but someone with more seniority than me got the week I wanted. I`m still going to go around Lake Superior, maybe a little side trip thru Ontario, and back around into Wisconsin for the dual sport event called Enduraid. It`s either Enduraid or Manitoba? Decisions?
    I`ll use my extra week of vacation time next month to wrench on my bike getting it ready for the summer fun.
  5. Minnesota

Minnesota Conform or be cast out

Oddometer:
    The quote reminded me of the Northern Exposure series where going to the dump to watch the bears was something one did for a date night.
  6. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    'Tis true. when I lived up there we did that fairly often.

Polar bears are REALLY big in real life!!
  7. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Hanging out at the Dump to watch the bears was a Sunday night event for our family when I was kid.

We never had TV until 1959 and the town I grew up in (Cameron Falls Ontario) had no emmenities..... nothing, 1 street light in the town the square and that only came on after dark.

Feeding the bears at the Pass Lake Dump was a hoot as well. The tourist from the Sleeping Giant Camp Ground would come to see us feed the bears. (after we had a few beers)

BackRoader
  8. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Wow! Your from Cameron Falls?

I lived in Nipigon/Red Rock for 3 years...one of my favourite areas!

Fishing at Jesse lake and Split Rock is the best!:clap
  9. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    Don't forget " the most remote road " ....... :evil

[​IMG]
  10. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
  11. Stranded in Iowa

Stranded in Iowa couch adv`r

Oddometer: