Bike you wish you never bought, Bike you wish you never sold.

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by pfb, Nov 9, 2008.

1. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Geek's 'short list' thread had me thinking not only about what bikes I'd like to get someday, but which ones I've already had.

I know a lot of us have owned a bunch of bikes. I think I've had about 15 bikes over about as many years (a few more many years earlier). And I'm sure others have had many more...

What bike do you regret selling the most?

What bike did you buy that left you wondering "what was I thinking"?
    My selling regret was a pristine BMW R100GS Paris-Dakar, teal and black. My introduction to dual sport/adventure bikes. I sold it when I "upgraded" to an R1100 GS, but I sure wish I still had that bike sitting in my garage. Some day I'll replace it, but it will be a rare find to get one in the right color, right year (they stopped using "paris dakar" and went to PD, I think in '92?), and of course great condition low miles... Picture isn't my bike, but pretty close...
    [​IMG]
    My buying mistake was a 2005 Harley Dyna Super Glide Custom. Gorgeous bike. It just was loud as hell and handled like crap. It was by far the bike I owned for the shortest period and put the fewest miles on...
    [​IMG]
  2. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    Can I put my KLR in both catagories ??
  3. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    The one I regret selling when I did was a 1986 Kawi a Voyager 12. The one I regret buying was a kawi Vulcan 1500 I think it was an 87 didn't have it long. I have had so many bikes that I don't remember them all but those two do stick out.
  4. blaster007

blaster007 n00b

Oddometer:
    The Bike I regret selling was my 2001 CBR F4i.

The Two bike's i regret buying were my 2004 and 2005 kawi 636's...Torture racks... I loved the looks and still do but what a shit sack to ride more then 20 mins...

Im liking my Wee strom so far only 1500 kms on it so far. Time will tell.
  5. Photo82

Photo82 We're BIG pants people!

Oddometer:
    My '92 Honda Nighthawk. I went everywhere on that thing for over 6 years and it required very little maintenance. It was a true, do-it-all, everyday machine that I miss, very much. :cry

An early onset of dementia led me to purchase a 2nd KLR650, after I'd sold the first one. The motorcycle ran just fine, but replacing bolts and nuts that rattled loose/fell off was driving me crazy (again). :baldy I had forgotten how much I hate Kawasaki fasteners (amnesia) and I had forgotten how much Kawasaki fasteners hated me. Since I sold the 2nd KLR, my locktite tube gets very little use, anymore.
  6. Fleg

Fleg Fleg in 2012

Oddometer:
    The bike I regret buying would have to be a 2001 BMW 1150GS. I thought it was exactly what I wanted (Thanks Ewan) but ended up being nothing that I wanted.

The bike I regret selling (back to the insurance company after I wrecked it) was my 2006 Triumph Sprint ST. I still think the adjuster didn't know what they were talking about.
  7. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    I've had to deal with buyer’s remorse with just about every bike that I bought. But I never regretted buying them.

And I am still dealing with seller’s remorse with all the bikes that I have sold. I loved them all. But sometimes that isn't enough of a reason to keep them.
  8. gsfreeman2

gsfreeman2 Ersatz adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike I wish I have never bought -- a 1998 Harley Road Glide. I didn't inspect it thoroughly enough before I bought it, and during the time I owned it, it was a maintenance nightmare. Brakes, electrical system, you name it. Every time I turned around I was dumping more money into this bike. And as soon as I wanted to sell it, the Evo market went way soft. Lost my bloody arse on it.

Bike I wish I never sold. 2001 Aprilia Falco. Yeah, it was a bit of a torture rack, but you could go the length of a tank without needing to get off of it -- at least I could at 37, I'm not sure about at 41. LOL.

[​IMG]
  9. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't have sold - 04 R1150 GS
    Shouldn't have bought - 04 Road Glide
  10. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    I still miss Ben's '97 TL1000S. :cry
    That was a sweet bike.
  11. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    This sums it up for me. I wish I could have kept them all.
  12. claude74

claude74 2 Girls, 4 Tities!

Oddometer:
    04 KTM 625 SXC with both dirt and moto set ups, I miss her :cry she was my urban assault vehicle!
  13. Bendejo

Bendejo Movin' on up

Oddometer:
    I shouldn't have ever sold the GB500, same goes for buying it. :lol3
  14. cojoel

cojoel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That blue looks sweet. Thank you for helping me to make the decision to never sell my Falco. What exhaust is that on there?

Bought - none
    Never sold - 2001 Nighthawk 750
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the others that have said "wish I still had them all".

If I *had* to pick one I should not have bought..
    I'd say the 2004 R1 because I had a GSXR1000 at the same time and the GSXR was a better bike (not to mention those under seat exhausts melted your berries on the R1). That said, I still think that generation R1 was one of the sexiest bikes ever.

As for bikes to keep.. I wish I had 'em all but if I had to choose one I could get back it would my Canadian 1988 RZ350... simply because they never made them after 1987 in the US so to have a "gp style" full fairing RZ in the US would be very rare.

It looked identical to this one:
    [​IMG]
  16. Charla

Charla Tamalamian

Oddometer:
    I only miss looking at the GB. :lol3
  17. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike I never should have bought 2004 BMW R1150GS.

Bike I never should have sold 2004 URAL Patrol.

BEST Purchase EVEA!!!!!!! GB500. :thumb

Marc
  18. Speedster

Speedster Gizmo Slut

Oddometer:
    I get attached to my machines:(: , so of course I would love to have them all back, but I do wish I had kept my 00 CR250R 2-smoke. I traded it for a 450, but it was as quick as my 450 is. Nothing sounds better than a perfectly tuned 2 stroke on the pipe.:thumbup

Honda doesn't even make a 2 stroke any more. The bad thing is that I worked at the shop where I traded it in, and it went to some piece-of-work punk kid and is now a wrecked rat bike. :cry Probably has the same oil and air filter in it from when I changed it last.:ddog
  19. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:

Paul....one of the first that comes to mind in the "never shoulda sold" category is the 520 MXC I sold you years ago. :lol3

Totalling this bike and fracturing T12 and some ribs while bonking my noggin pretty good, made me think selling the KTM was a good idea :nod Who knew I was a fast healer.

Loved this one.

[​IMG]

There was a bike that I would love to have kept, but it wore out it's welcome in nine short months.... vapor locking at all the wrong times. :bluduh
    Guzzi V11 Sport Rosso Mandello (#60), with Mistral CF cans.

[​IMG]
  20. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Why a bad choice on the 1150 Marc?

:poser GB500 :poser