The Triumph Tiger and it's abilities compared to others

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Project84, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    I looked for a specific Triumph Tiger thread but didn't see one.

I've read specs on the different Tigers offered throughout the years and I was thinking something like the 2011 Tiger 800 would basically be my idea of the "best all around" bike.

My biggest question is I'm wondering how well this bike (and others like it) can carve up the corners. I ride 50% commute, 40% carving up Sunday's, 10% travel/tour/camp. Also, how were the other Tiger models? The 1050 seems excessive, though I realize it has the real-world corner carving wheel setup. The 955i's of the day aren't very pretty.

My biggest concern is do the tires sizes of these style of bikes make for any lack on cornering abilities when we start talking about NC700, Tiger, hell we'll even toss in the DR650 (I understand a thumper is a different animal, look at my sig).

Are there better twisty road smashing ADV/Touring bikes?

Budget minded - $7k max.
  2. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    Why don't you test drive one? You know you're going to get every opinion available. With all modern and newer bikes the ability is in the riders hands. A skilled pilot can make any of them go just fine.
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    My XC has a narrow 21" front. I've had the pegs scraping without ever feeling either tire slip.
  4. Project84

Oddometer:
    Unless I scam some unsuspecting craigslister into letting me romp his bike for 30 minutes, there are no real avenues to find test rides around here. 2 or 3 bike shops within an hour drive, but mostly only deal in new bikes, and the closest shop has said no to every test drive I've ever asked about on a used model in the basement.

I mainly ask because my KTM Duke 2 is supposed to have 120/160 tires on it. I put a 110 on the front because I was in need of a tire and someone gave it to me. It made the bike turn in so quick that the balance of the bike is now all goofy and it doesn't feel very stable.

That said, I realize if I put a 150 out back it may correct itself. But it left me assuming that the narrower tires wouldn't be so great in twisty stuff.
  5. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Did you go from a 120/70 to a 110/70 front, or something else?

In any case, it appears that the 110 was a smaller DIAMETER tire, and that:

1. Dropped the front slightly.
    2. Reduced the rake and trail.
    3. Reduced the stability.
  6. Project84

Oddometer:
    In any event, I'm looking for a "do it all" bike even though we all know they do not exist.

I have 3 very different bikes right now and would LOVE to have 1 bike that did all things well that my 3 do now individually.

The main motivator behind all this is to eventually spend less time tinkering, more time riding.

So I look to Triumph as I said, on paper, the specs are just about a perfect blend of my 3 bikes. The Tiger will tour, wheelie, commute, all reliably and efficiently.

I'm just uncertain about it's ability to "rail" some back roads.
  7. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Tiger 800 roadie, cast wheels, use it mainly as longer ride, light tourer, and have Bridgestone T30 sport touring tires mounted on it, it handles curvy roads well, not like a full on sport bike but good enough for me that when I'm on it I don't miss being on one my other bikes. Plus, after 4-6 hours of riding you appreciate all the things it does well, it's basically like riding a standard style bike, does a good job at different things, just doesn't master any of them. If you are looking for an all purpose machine, it fits the bill along with any other more street biased adventure bikes, that the appeal of these bikes.
  8. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is tough to find a Triumph Tiger thread on ADV.......but after some searching, found this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599070

There are only like 21,397 posts.

There are 4 or 5 other Tiger 800 specific threads, Tiger Explorer threads, and older Tiger threads......but you really have to be good to find them:rofl
  9. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might want to look at the new Vstrom 1000, it weighs close to the Tiger, has a bit more low end power, radial brakes, along with a fully adjustable front end, if I was in the market now, one of these would be on my list, if Suzuki still has the rebate on them, you can shop around and find some good deals or you could 4 or 5 weeks ago.
  10. Solarbronco

Solarbronco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait a few weeks and check out the new Yamaha FJ-09 with a sweet triple engine.
  11. Project84

Oddometer:

Maybe that was my issue, I was doing all my searching in the "Road Warriors" section.

Thanks!
  12. Project84

Oddometer:
    That's basically what I wanted to hear.

I'm not out dragging my knee on my (standard) FZ6. I don't have the desire or the skill... but I do give it a heavy thrashing and really enjoy it. I just need a bike that I can ride at least at that level and it still feel stable and safe.

The benefit of some low down torque with some good mid range coming from that triple should make for a great commuter also.

Hrmmm... time to read up on some of the older ones. Maybe I'll test the water at the $3k price point before jumping in at $6k+.
  13. sfrider300

sfrider300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OP said his budget is $7K max, so new bikes are out.

I rented a Tiger roadie for a 500 miles trip up Route 1. I thought it was great for carving, and for that kind of riding in general. The engine is so tractable. Find yourself at 20 mph in 6th gear needing to roll on? No problem, just roll, the triple eats it up!

Very nice handling for a softventure bike. My Duc handles better, but the Triumph engine is much smoother and easier to work with.

Anyway, yeah, you want to be in Beasts, can't swing a cat over there without hitting 2 or 3 Tiger threads.
  14. Project84

Oddometer:
    Any way to contact a mod and have this moved over there, instead of starting another thread?

Thanks guys
  15. Garry

Garry Bleeds Orange...

Oddometer:
    IMO, if you don't plan on spending much time on unpaved roads, then a 17/17 wheel setup is best for carving twisties. Best choice of sticky rubber and less gyroscopic effect from the front wheel.

I have a KTM 950 Supermoto which is just an amazing tool for bombing around the mountains and general riding. Not the easiest bike to find used, but 950/990 Supermotos and SMTs are out there.

Kawasaki Versys has lots of fans if you like riding a slow bike fast. Ducati Multistrada (prev gen, 1100cc air cooled) is very nice. Both bikes offer a bit more suspension travel than a pure street bike, which makes beat up twisty roads a bit nicer to ride.

I demo'd a Tiger 800 roadie and it's a very nice bike too. A 19" doesn't give up that much to a 17" for sane street riding. My only concern with the Tiger 800 is the idle air valve which doesn't like riding in dusty conditions, gets gummed up, and then the bike won't idle. But if you're riding all/mostly on the street, that is probably a non-issue.

For pure corner carving fun, it'd be hard to beat a Triumph Street Triple R. Lots of good naked sporty/hooligan bikes out there, but they don't have the extra suspension travel that the Versys and Multi do.
  16. Chuckj

Chuckj n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a '11 tiger 800 and love it. I have heidenau k60 sports on it, rox extenders and a Sargent seat. It does 85mph down the freeway w cruise on extended trips with no tyre wobble and runs of road through the gravel pits wonderfully fore. Road 60 miles in the rain today w no slippage. I love everything but the gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. 2slo

2slo Old and Immature

Oddometer:
    I have an 08 Tiger 1050. It rails just fine including two up. The big triple gets down the road in a hurry too.
  18. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    How *dare* you....
  19. Project84

Oddometer:
    That's basically the bike I think I want. 2011 Tiger 800 in white please!

What's the gas mileage when 1-up?
  20. Project84

Oddometer:

It's been suggested to me that a 950 SM would fit my bill perfectly. Like you said though, the trouble is finding one.

As for the Versys - I hate to be like this but - it's such an ugly bike IMHO. Now, there is ugly which can be beautiful (my Duke 2, 1200GS, hell most any BMW sport/SM bike) but the Versys, to me, is just plain ugly. In looking for a 1-does-it-all I need to at least enjoy the looks!

I do like riding a slow bike fast though. :)