Flat tracker and street tracker photos

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by jehu, Oct 5, 2007.

1. oupa

oupa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any of you guys who made the Indy mile get an photos of Sammy Halbert's side radiator Kaw??? I'd like to see that setup.

Speaking of Sammy, what a tough break today in the TT, or maybe I should say lucky break since he rode away in the cart instead of the meat wagon!
  2. Calkins

Calkins On Any Sunday... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been looking since then. It seems to be hidden behind the ride number plate. Hopefully Barry will chime in about it. I asked about it on his FB page. There is plenty of square thinkers out there, that can't think outside of the bix that HD painted... :huh
  3. vee2win

vee2win oldnwiser

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Sammy, what a tough break today in the TT, or maybe I should say lucky break since he rode away in the cart instead of the meat wagon![/QUOTE]

Here's video from FTL... :eek1

http://tiny.cc/5wurkx
  4. never2old4fun

never2old4fun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice, but I was wondering you care to share how much that tank and seat combo might have cost?
    It looks expensive. Just asking.
  5. oupa

oupa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's video from FTL... :eek1

http://tiny.cc/5wurkx[/QUOTE]

Video wont load for me. I've searched on my own and can't find anything. Sure would like to see what happened though.

Here's a shot I took July 4 of Sammy giving Jerrod Mees a run for his money at the "Barbara Fritchie Classic" in Frederick, MD. the afternoon before the Hagerstown race. Sammy's main sponsor Fredericktowne Yamaha, is also a main sponsor of this race in their hometown.

[​IMG]

This shot is mid-way of turn four. Both are WFO heading into the front straight-a-way! It was a wild day at the races for sure.
  6. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    My fauxtracker got a little track time this weekend..had a blast

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Calkins

Calkins On Any Sunday... Supporter

Oddometer:
    My UPS dude dropped off a Boss Racing Frames unit for Yamaha RT3 today... :evil

[​IMG]
  8. oupa

oupa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year during the annual bike show, races, rally... "White Rose Thunder," in York, PA. they held an antique bike race between the heats and the mains of the regular "All Star Series" races. Last year (the first time) there were two H-D's (1914 & 1915) and two Excelsers from the 1920's. Here they are taking a warm-up lap before the green flag. One of the Harley's died just as it rolled onto the track and ended up scratching.

[​IMG]

The other Harley was ridden by an experienced racer, Curtis Fisk of Fisk Racing and Full Circle V-Twin in Hagerstown, MD. Here he is just before heading out onto the track next to the other H-D just before it died.

[​IMG]

Curtis' experience showed in spite of the totally inappropriate tires on the bike, given the deep cushion of the York track. Mind you these are honest to goodness original antiques that weren't just rode around to show them off, they were RACED, W-F-O! In fact, Curtis was all set to take the win in the four lap exhibition when coming out of turn four he lost all traction and crashed. Yeah, that's right CRASHED a 100 year-old motorcycle!:eek1 The bike's owner (riding the green excelsior) was overjoyed that the race had been so genuine.:huh

Here's the Excelsiors taking to the track.

[​IMG]

The bikes after the race. Curtis was pretty upset about the way things turned out but how many guys his age can say they've even ridden a 100 year-old motorcycle, let alone raced one and crashed it!:D I rank that as one of those things you talk about for a lifetime. :gerg

[​IMG]

The reason I mention all this though is because this year, on Sept. 20, 2014 the exhibition race will return to the York track. This year though, there will be TWELVE pre-1930 race bikes in the event. Twelve Antique racers RACING. :ricky Don't know anywhere else in this part of the country where you can see this. Oh and by the way... Here's another antique racer from the bike show at the same event. CHeck you schedules, mark your calendars and come on out to White Rose Thunder at the York fairgrounds. I am!

[​IMG]

I didn't get a shot of Curtis' accident but I just ran across this shot of him throwing up a roost in turn three just before the crash.

[​IMG]
  9. Thumpermeister

Thumpermeister roost maker

Oddometer:
  10. skorpioskorpio

skorpioskorpio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a shop safety film in high school full of horrific accidents called "It didn't have to happen", should have included this perhaps.
  11. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    "There was a shop safety film in high school full of horrific accidents called "It didn't have to happen", should have included this perhaps."

:roflAgree, however, if you attach stellite faced steel shoes on the valve covers, you could ride "feet up" on short track and TT tracks.
  12. rtw02

rtw02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding a 100 year old motorcycle is pretty Cool...
    Racing one is Awesome!
    Wish I could go.
    Take some video for us.
    Thanks
  13. vintagemxr

vintagemxr old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer:
    Very cool about those guys racing 100 year old machines. It's good that not all all the old race bikes become show queens and museum pieces. People need and deserve to hear them get loud.

I talked to the owner of this 1913 Indian board track racer:

[​IMG]

I asked if he ever rode it and he said "Not often." He told me the bike was designed for top speed and at anything less than wide open is was pretty awful and wide open it was worse. One of the more memorable moments for me in my years motorcycling was sitting and talking with Jim Davis who rode for Indian in 1916. He was 100 years old when I met him and he told stories like they happened only yesterday.
  14. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can you stop 1200cc with a small twin leader drum ?
    Houseoffubar likes this.
  15. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    If it's a Bimmer, yes
  16. oupa

oupa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another old (but not THAT old) racer recently told me "once you've been out on that track nothing else in life compares."

Yeah, I thought about that today watching the freight train coming down the straight on the Springfield mile, all tucked in with their chins on the tank at 140 on such a historic track. :ricky That's got to be one of life's all time thrills.

I still have to say though, the highlight of the race was Molly Terry taking second in the pros main and in a hell of a race to boot! :raabia
  17. oupa

oupa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another old (but not THAT old) racer recently told me "once you've been out on that track nothing else in life compares."

Yeah, I thought about that today watching the freight train coming down the straight on the Springfield mile, all tucked in with their chins on the tank at 140. :ricky

I still have to say though, the highlight of the race was seeing Molly Terry taking second in the pros and doing it in one hellofa race no less! :raabia
  18. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer

Oddometer:
    <ANNOUNCER Voice>(Best announcer Voice) Ascot Park. Where the Harbor, 91 and San Diego Freeways SLIDE! </ANNOUNCER Voice>
  19. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    gotta love BratStyle
  20. MightyChosen1

MightyChosen1 I wanna be sedated

Oddometer:
    I have been watching Her ever since She raced in 50 cc class 8 or 9 years ago . Nice to see a local girl make it so far.

[​IMG]