Oklahoma and aftermarket slip ons?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ph0rk, May 26, 2015.

1. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I'm moving to OK in around two months, and I've been trying to do my research. I've seen conflicting reports online, but the law seems to be no aftermarket changes that increase the sound level are allowed. I'm on the fence with something like an Akrapovic (with db-killer left in) on an R1200R. By all accounts it is quite tame (too tame for most), but I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least 2-4 dB louder than stock, especially if c weighting is used for the measurements, as the Akrapovic pipe is supposed to be a little bassier than the OEM pipe. So, technically a violation.

How often in OK are people hassled with aftermarket pipes that clearly aren't drag pipes (that is, that are mostly polite)? The R1200R is already a pretty quiet bike to begin with.
  2. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Overall I don't think you should have any problem. There are lots of bikes around with loud pipes. Probably the only time it would come up is if you were doing something else stupid. They don't do any db testing that I know of. This is from experience in the Tulsa area. Where are you moving to?
  3. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I'm headed to Stillwater. I for sure heard many loud vehicles while I was looking for housing, but just because they're there doesn't mean I won't get unwanted attention.

Maybe if I plaster my bike with OSU stickers they'll leave me alone? :evil
  4. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    I ride in Stillwater sometimes...
    Have a Versys with the two brothers slip on ..
    No problems

Law is there....doesn't seem to be much if any enforcement.
    Just don't be an azz
  5. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was figuring that as long as I leave the cat and exhaust flapper valve it can't be but so loud (and I have no intention of removing either). And I try not to be an ass in town, wherever that town might be.
  6. -Chris-

-Chris- Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry at all. I've got the Akro's on the V-Max and have not had a problem. Also, its hard to be louder than all the Harley's so your probably good.

Now if your doing a huge 3rd gear burnout, bouncing the rev limiter in front of the police. Yes, they will add the loud exhaust on with the wreckless driving ticket, improper start from stop ticket, and speeding ticket....
  7. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And half the deputies in the state ride straight-piped Harleys themselves...
  8. motorider200

motorider200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in Stillwater and have an xr650r with a slip on that is quite loud and it has never been an issue. There are a bunch of loud bikes around town.
  9. jimroid

jimroid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lived in Stillwater 14 years.They do loud there! Don't worry about your mufflers.:johntm
  10. reddirtjoe

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Stillwater.........

This Tues. night is bike night....Downtown.....come see/ hear for yourself!!

:ear
  11. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    I'm still suffocating in California for six more weeks :rofl

I'll make a point of checking it out when I'm in town, though.
  12. reddirtjoe

Oddometer:

The heat and humidity should be here then,,,,,,,,,you just think your suffocating now.....
    :eek1
  13. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    Oh the weather is fine out here - it's the population density I was referring to. The Bay Area would be really nice with several million fewer people there. I'm from NC originally - looking forward to real seasons again.