New air box

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by tahoeacr, Feb 3, 2012.

1. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to show you guys a new air filtration set-up. Seems like everyone calls them airboxes but there is no "box" to it. This came about at the right time for me because I'm sick of my K&N sucking dirt.
    [​IMG]
    Two 1/4 turn fasteners to remove it.
    [​IMG]
    Glove box clearance
    [​IMG]
    fitment around throttle bodies. All the left over silicone is from attemps to seal my old set-up when the dirt was actually coming thru the K&N.
    [​IMG]
    Nice X-ring used for seal
    [​IMG]
    filter has a cage inside.
    Temp sensor and case breather bolt on to bottom plate

Here is the place making them. The owner is also a SuperDuke guy.

http://www.teamcprfab.com/
  2. LAYNFRM

LAYNFRM slightly tarded

Oddometer:
    hell yeah! let us know how it seals and works!
  3. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seals great. Took those pics about three weeks ago. Had to make sure it was good stuff before I pass it on to the Crush.
    10+hp on the SD. I'll head to the dyno as soon as I can.
  4. LAYNFRM

LAYNFRM slightly tarded

Oddometer:
    awesome. any idea on pricing? didn't see it on their site.
  5. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    $299. So we have our choices of BMC drop in for $100, DNA drop in $140, Moto Hooligan at $359, or DNA MKIII at $700:eek1. This one(not sure what he is going to call it) has more filter media than MH or DNA with lower cost.

My previous filters.
    First insulate stock box with drop in DNA. 3 to 4 ft lbs gain. Snorkel prooved to be a restriction on the dyno
    [​IMG]
    Next was Mars box. MH took this and added the raised roof.
    [​IMG]
    Next went to a taller K&N and made a carbon fiber raised roof.
    [​IMG]

So now I'm sticking with the foam and thinking about NACA ducts to bring more air in.
  6. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like your new filter! Report your dyno findings. Have you been thinking of the carbon throttle body stacks being developed on the SD site?
  7. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    nice setup and the price is beter than the competitors with a open airbox.
    I'm also curious how this setup will perform
  8. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    NACA ducts only work at high airspeeds, any increase in air pressure would be absolute minimal. i assume its air pressure you would like to increase? but then you would need to seal the airbox area to maintain any ( i suspect zero) pressure increase.
  9. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It should be oiled for off road use, right? Never seen a dry off road foam filter for a motorcycle.
  10. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it should. I wondered if anyone would catch that. Only put it on for the pics right then. I took my Throttlebodies off first to clean them.

The bottom of the airbox area is sealed all the way up to the front above the radiator. The stock splash guards are removed and all wiring tied up out of the way. I recommend that on any Adventure. The heat soak from the engine is rediculous. On a 65 degree ambient temp day I could easily record 160+ temps in the stock airbox. With everything sealed they stay within 6-8 degrees above ambient. Even though I ride at high airspeeds:lol3, the NACA ducts would just be a way of bringing in more air and look better than a big hole somewhere. Before I go cutting anything up I will do some dyno pulls with the glove box off to make sure the gains would be worth the effort.
  11. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice filter setup..

I was going to ask about that, so thanks. Got mine apart now picking the rocks out of the radiator and was looking at those thinking more cooler air...hmm, so i am going to ditch the guards also.

I also tried a after market serviceable air filter and noticed dust on the insides of my TBs and around the perimeter of the filter on the hard gasket that is supposed to seal. Called for a refund after only a few rides, not what i want for a bike that is in the dirt.
  12. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If they had a fitment for a 950, I would be havin' one of those.
  13. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably the same thing. Both bikes use the same rubber sleeve in the airbox so the carbs and throttlebodies must have the same O.D. Call them and see. Maybe you could be the first fitment.
  14. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    990 and 950 are 2 differant sizes and setups. :D
  15. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are the carbs at a different offset than TB's? Do you know then if the SE is the same as the 950 Adv?
    BTW, got a couple of pics of you on the Rubicon I need to post somewhere:evil.
  16. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    I'm not 100% sure on that as I don't have a 990 yet..... I don't want to put wrong data out here on that.
    If you need a set of CARBS some place to test fit, I can box them up as long as I get them back..... maybe a test filter too. :wink:

The 950 ADV and 950 SE use the same carbs and the same air filter setups would work. Be happy to test fit anything.

Awesome. Can you email them to me? craig at cj designs llc.com

That was a great day. I really enjoyed the single track and the Rubicon in the afternoon very much. Thanks so much for showing us around. :clap
    [​IMG]
  17. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll call him Monday and let him know. Thanks for the offer. Sent you 2 pic, 2 videos, and a pic of your buddy on the GO!!!!.
  18. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an experience with air for the carbs....... First I do seal any hot radiator air away from the carbes. I had fitted a seat from a 900 Triumph. Love it.

I had to make a carbon cover to fit between the "glove box" and the seat. Every night I come home from work at 1am..... I have the road to my self, and there is a sort of expressway 50mph I do about 100mph.... so this cover keeps lifting, the FCR roar notifies me of the problem..... After a few days of this I think..... why??? well the air pressure from forward movement ends up at the carbes It is a real push:eek1. So I took my glove of to check temperature and it was cool. Sooooo I hope this helps :lol3:freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was short on time for that last post. I had been working on the aerodynamics of the bike for about 12 months. I had put the fan in front of the radiator. built C/F shrouds to direct air into the radiator with great success as my fan almost never comes on in Summer city traffic. I had been considering NACA ducts just behind the blinkers. There is a triangle drawn in texta on my faring. I was considering running C/F tubes to flex hose connected to the top of my C/F glove box. I was also thinking about running tunnels from the grill.

That sound deadened cover was lifting at 60/65mph. It was flexing the lightweight C/F cover out of its clip. I had designed it to be easy to remove but still it was being blown of. I could feel the rushing cool air when i put my naked hand next to the carbes. The same hand next to the radiator was bathed in warmth There is simply no reason to bring air to the air box as it has ample when moving :1drink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. K2m

K2m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not advise this if you are running the standard CV carbies. Restriction in the airbox plays a major roll in the working of the vacuum slide, it also determines how much fuel your jets produce. The results would be a slow throttle response, and lean jetting. Even with a wideband I would not recommend this. An FCR set up changes everything.

The K&N comments earlier have been noted......... It's a shame really as they are such a well made filter :cry

[​IMG]