Any word on the Heidenau k60 Scout front leak issue being resolved?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Guysakar, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Guysakar

Guysakar n00b

Oddometer:
    Have a V Strom 650 and looking for a set of tires somewhere around 50/50 and these K60's and the Metzeler Karoo 3's seem to be about the only real option (other than TKC 80's, etc... that wear out too quickly for my taste).

I'm really sold on the K60's but keep hearing about reports of the front tire losing air (mainly on non-spoke rims?).

I've heard one person say that this issue has been resolved, but also read that it hasn't. Anyone have any conformation on this?

I know I could just throw a tube in the front tire, but I really do not want to do that.

I've been researching tires for the last several hours and feel like I'm swimming up stream, with this bike's available selection, so I am very open to suggestions.

Have the stock Trail Wings on now and just want something more off road oriented.

Not looking to power through mud, but I like to shoot down back roads and don't like how these TW's handle in sand, gravel, etc...

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Guysakar

Guysakar n00b

Oddometer:
    Nothing?
  3. arboffroad

arboffroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put one on the front of my hp2 worst tire ever on road or off wear is better than tkc but traction is worse

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
  4. GearHd6

GearHd6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worst tire ever?

I haven't heard of the leaking issue but I'll be following this.
  5. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my front still leaks at 17000 km
  6. matts1050

matts1050 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought K60's from TT last year. Had them mounted at the dealer. No leaks, front or back.
  7. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    My front leaked from the get go. I tried twice deflating and reseating the bead without success. Resorted to Slime and that slowed the rate of air loss to a more tolerable level. I've read several thread posts about leaky front tires so it seems to be a problem with the tire.
  8. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 I think.

Oddometer:
    Got about 4k on my K60 front now. Caponord tubeless spoke rim. The only time I lose a tad bit of air is when I check the tire pressure. 110/19.

Is it a size thing? What size front are you running that loses air? Are you positive it is not a valve stem issue (i.e., you have already replaced the valve stems)?
  9. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Had a set on the GSA. Front lost a couple of lbs over the week. Put air in as required. A pain in the ass but not the end of the world. I replaced them with another brand because of the noise factor. At 100kmh it howled like a snow tire.
  10. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have heard they addressed the issue but I don't know how. There is a a guy (tabasco)over on the Super Tenere forum who is a dealer. He seems pretty knowledgeable about them. I'm sure he's on here to. Runs http://rideonadv.com/
  11. Calloused

Calloused n00b

Oddometer:
    I have had a set on my 1150gsa for about 7 months and the front requires air once a month or more and the back every few. I was surprised as these are the first tires to require this much attention. They look nice, but will look at different brands:becca:baldy when these are done.
  12. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    I just put a K60 front on my 650 Strom and of course it leaked,I had the wheel already mounted on the bike and used my handy windex to hunt down the leak found it and marked it,dumped all the air outta the tire and filled it back up,no leaks,I'll feel more sure of it in the morning when I check it again.So far I like the tire it is noisy but I'm ok with that I'm looking for longevity on the road and a decent tire off the road so far it's met the off-road test now let's get on to testing the longevity,14000 mile last year on the bike hopefully more this year,I'll let ya know how it goes.
  13. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:
    Democratic Republic of Western Australia.
    My front K60 loses air too, I did not realise it was a common problem on these tyres. Thought it was a bent rim due to silliness.
    I have a long trip coming up and need to get it sorted as there is still plenty of meat left on it.
    Will probably fit a tube.
  14. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm on my third set of K60's, during the first year I too experienced a minor leak requiring top up every 3 weeks or so. I put up with this until the next tire change and at that time I replaced my 10 year old OEM valve stem with 90 degree ones.

It appears the tires were not the problem.....new valve stem stopped the leaking....:huh
  15. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hum...I have had good luck with stans tire sealent in my tubliss sysytem....,try some of that.,..way better in my view than slime

scott
  16. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Ah I was looking to wake this back up as I am a new to the K60 world,a friend of mine has them on his GS and he's been my tester,he's done good with them and also had the leaky front,my front may still weep a bit but that seems to be the norm for these tires,sucks but hey I rode a KLR for a while so I'm used to compromise.
  17. toecutta

toecutta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tough tire for sharp rock ground... not so confident building in the wet... but i loose 7-10psi a week on the front from brand new... took it to the dealer to reseat twice and he looked at me square in the eye... i have never heard of anyone having this problem before... he was almost offended when i laughed at him
  18. Newstrom48

Newstrom48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8 months and no air added. Has about 10000 km on it. I have nevers seen an issue.:clap
  19. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    How the fuck can a company sell a tire that leaks???????????????????????????
  20. 8lives

Oddometer:
    I know I know,silly ain't it,and I paid a lot of money so I could worry about a leak,the up side is you can run the tire flat and not know it cause the sidewall is so stiff,I watched a guy do it,then I dug a hole and bought 1 for me,but I do like the tire so far,I do my own tires so I'll get good at dealing "THE !?:)ing LEAK"